Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
    Posting from my tablet X D

So I am currently reading up on negative and imaginary mass theories and extensions there of. Anyways it got me thinking, could innertial dampeners be made possible through the use of negative mass? Though I find it unlikely that such an element could be tied into Stargate its more of a general question. Heck perhaps exotic physics could be used to make it work.
    AFAIK there are two ways to interpret inertial dampeners

-they reduce the mass of an object. This also destroys just about all physics and likely neither the ship nor the humans aboard would survive.

-They produce a field that makes any external force act evenly spread throughout the ship. Not sure how or why this works, but it means that every object still has it's own mass. It's just that if the engines fire to accellerate, that acceleration is spread evenly throughout the ship so it's not noticed. Does require magic.

I would prefer to do away with ID's in general. Quite frankly, life is so much more interesting without them.

Comment

Is their anyway to incorporate something ultra convenient like a graviton particle generator mcbobthingy to explain the magic? Though they would still have mass...hm...this is frustrating.

Also I hate ID's when im into hardcore syfi but then I realize how convenient they are. I like both types I guess.

Same with artificial gravity that does not require spinning.

Oooh 1000 posts
      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
        Is their anyway to incorporate something ultra convenient like a graviton particle generator mcbobthingy to explain the magic? Though they would still have mass...hm...this is frustrating.

Also I hate ID's when im into hardcore syfi but then I realize how convenient they are. I like both types I guess.

Same with artificial gravity that does not require spinning.

Oooh 1000 posts

Well if you give people control over gravity it opens up 5000 other plotholes or problems.

In general, ID's and AG is magic and it's best to either ignore them or treat it as magic.

Comment

Hey guys just wondering if anyone still has a copy of the fleet database?

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
            Hey guys just wondering if anyone still has a copy of the fleet database?
            The good news is that i do.

the bad news is that it's on my external hard disk and i lost the USB connector to it. I've yet to acquire a new one and copy the files over to my new drive.

Comment

I see i see. I've been doing some modelling lately and all the textures I used were in the database and I lost it many moons ago. Anyhoo thanks

Comment

Tep to the rescue, of course I have the database Sorry I havent seen this until now, hope you see it.

Public link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ing%20Pack.rar

Has models and texture pack.

Rar format about 200 megs

Tep
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Much appreciated Thank you thank you.

Comment

Sooo how is everyone? Been a while
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                      Sooo how is everyone? Been a while
                      experiencing a slowly dying love for Stargate, and no replacement for it.
                      In other news, nearly got my Mechanical Engineering papers.

I would love to see a more serious stargate show with more consistency, a reimagination. Been toying around with ideas of what that universe would look like, what kind of designs we'd be seeing and stuff. Thought experiments, mostly. What we had with the Virtual Fleets was quite unique and i wish i'd been there from the start, and wish i'd think the way i think now.

damn i feel nostalgic now.

I've experienced something you've experienced, 'tep, and have a bit of a personal crisis ever since.

Comment

Yeah I have spent the last few weeks reading through old posts, I used to have so much to say! I havent posted like that or been involved in anything as completely since. Such a loss. Wish I could pick it all up again.
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

Yeah I have spent the last few weeks reading through old posts, I used to have so much to say! I havent posted like that or been involved in anything as completely since. Such a loss. Wish I could pick it all up again.
                          ha ha.

i'm mostly filling long posts with debates on the SGA and SGU tech sections

Comment

If SGU had got its dating correct from the beginning I might have liked it more. But it was a complete mess so I just had to give up eventually because they never explained it. You would think a show made by the same people who created the canon could actually stick to it.
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

If SGU had got its dating correct from the beginning I might have liked it more. But it was a complete mess so I just had to give up eventually because they never explained it. You would think a show made by the same people who created the canon could actually stick to it.
                              I guess for some, being a writer means they get to screw around with time. Sometimes, this is true, other times, not so much. In a show series with spinoffs like SG, SGA, and SGU, One would indeed think, "they'd stick to a strict time keeping setup right ?" Wrong, there were dozens of writers writing different episodes, some writing backto back episodes, others writing one or two spaced across various seasons.

Honestly, most of the technology, ship sizes, weapons ranges, power settings, etc. Made zero sense to me whatsoever.Heck just to say it, the Promethues was smaller than the Disney Dream cruise ship. Heck, the Dream could possibly eat an aircraftcarrier for breakfast.

I'll shut up

PS: good to see you Tep!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                I guess for some, being a writer means they get to screw around with time. Sometimes, this is true, other times, not so much. In a show series with spinoffs like SG, SGA, and SGU, One would indeed think, "they'd stick to a strict time keeping setup right ?" Wrong, there were dozens of writers writing different episodes, some writing backto back episodes, others writing one or two spaced across various seasons.
                                Well it's not that surprising actually. When talking about millions of years, our heads stop making sense of it and it just becomes numbers. I mean, you and i understand what 10 years represents, a hundred, a thousand even. 10 000, 100 000 years becomes difficult to comprehend. A million is beyond anyone's true comprehension.

Rush saying it's hundreds of thousands or a million years ago: it's such a timescale that it's ridiculous.

I personally felt that the Ancient's timescales were just WAY too absurd to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X