No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my thought: why does this have to be an out-of-story issue? It's reasonable to assume people in-universe would have similar debates. Why not frame it in that way?

Let the story decide.
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Because we decide what the story decides?

I'm frankly more worried about somebody dialing and tossing the gate at a black hole.

Through 'Tep has made some very good points, the argument from my point of view is that the moon offers all these advantages for a minimum increase in cost, and an added layer of passive protection through physical distance.
      One also can't ignore the cool factor, which would play a sizable role in the equation: this terminal is the first things offworld visitors see, it's more impressive to put it in space, especially since it's not much more expensive than what you can build on Earth anyways.

I would like to make a further point here, that's somewhat tangential: all of these threats can be delivered by hyperspace. A hyperspace window alone might cause significant environmental damage due to the gravity wave amplitude. On top of that you can release a nuke of whatnot. Pathogens and self replicating nano is even easier.

To that end, especially after the LA bombings of Earth, I think we'll see populations do one of two things: congregate into mega-cities protected by powerful shields, or spread out over the widest possible area. Probably both now that I think about it. Flying cars would really take off, if you pardon the pun, in these rural settlements, coupled with telepresence.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
        To that end, especially after the LA bombings of Earth, I think we'll see populations do one of two things: congregate into mega-cities protected by powerful shields, or spread out over the widest possible area. Probably both now that I think about it. Flying cars would really take off, if you pardon the pun, in these rural settlements, coupled with telepresence.
        I see DeLoreans..... O.o

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Hmm, with the gate I would have personally opted to leave it in a major city in an easily accessible way somewhat like the Aschen had it set up but only with more large scale facilities. For security the most effective measure to me versus maximum gate utility is a modification to the control mechanism where you control offworld access points possible via subspace links, somewhat like the gate code setup only the gates comm before a wormhole is even established. Putting the gate on the moon or in Antarctica seems pointlessly exotic, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
            I see DeLoreans..... O.o
            Originally posted by blackluster View Post
            Hmm, with the gate I would have personally opted to leave it in a major city in an easily accessible way somewhat like the Aschen had it set up but only with more large scale facilities. For security the most effective measure to me versus maximum gate utility is a modification to the control mechanism where you control offworld access points possible via subspace links, somewhat like the gate code setup only the gates comm before a wormhole is even established. Putting the gate on the moon or in Antarctica seems pointlessly exotic, but that's just me.
            You know, there's something to that. Earth only accepts wormholes from trusted addresses, could we simply offload the security measured offworld? So travelers and cargo are checked at the far end then sent through?

Comment

You know, there's something to that. Earth only accepts wormholes from trusted addresses, could we simply offload the security measured offworld? So travelers and cargo are checked at the far end then sent through?
              Yes, that is the most basic strtegy you could employ. The next step up from that is cryptography at the trusted addresses, where subspace codes are exchanged before even a trusted address can dial. Until the correct codes are received, the gate stays in an inert mode where no incoming wormholes are accepted. Good code equals active gate, combined with security at the offworld site makes the solar system very difficult to get into.

This reminded me a bit of the NavCom AIs from Wing Commander, computers which charted hyperspace courses into earth and were like the keys to the gate. You could do the same at off world sites, where an on site AI generates codes in real time and in sync with an AI on earth, ensuring very fast changing security. Should the offworld trusted address be compromised, the personnel would destroy the AI rendering attempts to force-ably dial in, useless.

Comment

Seriously mention of flying cars AUTOMATICALLY makes me think of a delorean with hoverconversion O.o Don't ask why, Please don't ask why. {no I am not watching Back to the Future, I am actually reading it...}

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Through 'Tep has made some very good points, the argument from my point of view is that the moon offers all these advantages for a minimum increase in cost, and an added layer of passive protection through physical distance.
                  One also can't ignore the cool factor, which would play a sizable role in the equation: this terminal is the first things offworld visitors see, it's more impressive to put it in space, especially since it's not much more expensive than what you can build on Earth anyways.
                  rule of cool? yea haven't thought about that one.

i guess we'd put it on the moon for the same reason we want to build 1000m tall buildings. prestige. plus the benefits of a remote location not in earth's atmosphere.

yes the downsides would be increased costs, but i question the added costs versus the added benefits.

i mean, if we're going Arctic, well if i was Project Overseer, i'd go to the Government and request 2 minutes use of a beaming node aboard one of the ships orbiting Earth regardless. if not, a beaming node aboard a ship undergoing sheduled maintenance.

use the Node to beam out carefully calculated chunks of ice and rock. such that the created cave is self-sustaining and structurally sound.

next i'd use a "cheap" trinium alloy material for structural "rebar" in the ice support pillars. "cheap" in that it would add perhaps a percent of Trinium to an existing alloy to massively enhance the properties. given the density of Trinium and it's nucleus size, i'd say it would make an excellent alloy hardener. not sure if it's advanced steel alloy or some other alloy, haven't figured that out yet.

given that the contractor ("my" employer), would be civil, i'd question the availability of Shield generators for structural support. the Beam Node idea would fly because the only thing i'd need to convince any general, is the price tag for conventional hollowing out.

once the ice caves are refined and reinforced, i'd cover the ice with some kind of thick, highly isolating foam. this to protect the ice without the need for local refrigeration.
                  maybe aerogel will work.

next, i build the base itself on metal support poles rammed into the ice for minimal heat transfer and minimal stress on the aerogel. not sure on the possibilities of concrete. i do not believe it sets at these temperatures. given the vast amount of surrounding ice, heating is NOT at option.

and finally i'd install the additional systems into the now present (probably metallic) shell and finalize the base.

Comment

There's always pycrete too. Ice mixed with 14% woodpulp that gives you a product very close to concrete in terms of physical properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                      Seriously mention of flying cars AUTOMATICALLY makes me think of a delorean with hoverconversion O.o Don't ask why, Please don't ask why. {no I am not watching Back to the Future, I am actually reading it...}
                      reading it? interesting. as in reading a screenplay or a novelized version?
                      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

There's always pycrete too. Ice mixed with 14% woodpulp that gives you a product very close to concrete in terms of physical properties.
                        true.

however i don't think it's a good idea to melt down the ice at 1 mile deep. you can't really repressurize it the way it was, and any crystalline fault significantly weakens the construction.

on the moon, my build plan would not be all that different. except you're not working with ice and ironically heat is not a problem. i am not sure wheter it's better to build it at a dark or light spot.

although i am not certain on the exact requirements for ring transportation, i think the facility WOULD require a Ring Relay Station on the surface to allow the rings to penetrate.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                          reading it? interesting. as in reading a screenplay or a novelized version?
                          The latter, I'd love to try and find the script ot read, those are fun {Like on Money Pythons very useless website, they have scripts there!} But seriously though, mentioning flying cars like Tom did turned my mind back to my NaNoWriMo novel

Comment

so how is everyone?

Anyone got a good story they are working on?
                            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic
                            So whats the worst that could happen?
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

i am still working on my chapter but damn it's going slow.

also i'm designing a new version of the Aggregator. hope i can get it to look better now

Comment

Well if you want to post it I would love to see the new look of it
                                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                                A Face you Can Trust
                                sigpic
                                So whats the worst that could happen?
                                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Working...
                                X