No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, 100x stronger is not a big honking deal, but 100x lighter is. Yet it is still awesome and very much in the Stargate cannon. Plus we got exotic particle physics to play with.

Did anyone read over my last post on the thread?
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

It is just a matter of well designed firepower. I went and did it, and now you dont like it. What the heck. You did this! You told me to build ships to combat superior opponents! I blame you!!!!
      there's a difference between defeating ships and defeating a race.

Ah, they do not want to kill everyone.
      not now.

Comment

I don't think exotic physics is needed here. If compression, impact resistance (resilience) and bending strength is sole consideration then 100x stronger (based on size or weight) isn't out of the question. We are capable of creating stuff that could push 20x. The idea of a cellular formulation (like a styrofoam) of cermet, amphorus metal, high strength Ti alloys has a lot of potential. There is never going to be something 100x the strength to weight ratio with regards to tensile strength without there being consquences (brittleness, hardness, etc.). I don't believe we truly understand the "actual" principles of metallurgy.

Comment

Man this thread has died l.o.l. *Cry*

What were you saying Fugiman, about something to discuss other then what we were previously discussing?

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

died? seriously?

Comment

I thought it just got interesting?

Comment

Hm, fidgeting with names for the civ I put up a few pages back, I think I'll tentatively call them Taq'ir.

Remaining population of about 200 million. Having captured a derelict Tel'tak they are able to learn enough about the inertial drive to fashion a working prototype drive powered by their latest small scale nuclear reactor design. Currently they just use it for space salvage and repairing their devastated satellite network.

Comment

care to elaborate? you see, my pages are 100 posts each. and i hate digging.

any idea what use they have? maybe nice LA - controlled planet (all LA planets get some form of autonomy. mostly a Commander is appointed as an overseer and someone from the planet is elected as kind of a "plantary president". not to mention restructuring of resources and people for use in more galaxy-wide LA matters)

maybe loose the apostrophe? Taqir sounds better IMO.

Comment

Man this thread has died l.o.l. *Cry*
                    Oh dude you have no idea what the meaning of died is when it comes to these threads. Its been weeks between posts in some periods. This is rather lively.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Ah ha! It worked! 5...6 new posts now!

Comment

Originally posted by killman
                        care to elaborate? you see, my pages are 100 posts each. and i hate digging.
                        Spoiler:
                        I was thinking about a human offshoot culture drawing on elements of Homeworld-verse and GitS-verse. The idea was that they had a very similar progression to earth in terms of weapons and technological development, only they are maybe 2 decades ahead of earth in chem eng and they had no Geneva convention holding back what they deployed during their civil wars.

For the setting their world is just coming out of a 200 year unification war. Most of their world is irradiated and suffering the effects of a nuclear winter. Their tech had just barely made it to the point where they could save themselves from extinction and so they manage to survive on their world.

They had uncovered a buried stargate long ago but on account of the war they could never research it for long enough to get it to work until now. They are a bit like earth was in their desire to explore the universe only they are more paranoid and distrustful.

Their level of technology integration into society is quite advanced where they have obtained ubiquitous connectivity and communications. Despite the fact that not many of them remain (massive losses during civil war), they are all completely interconnected in the various remaining cities.

Their weaponry includes: advanced chemical projectile technology where high velocity (HV) rounds are common place. Their military generally deploys heavy caliber soft tip rounds which cause horrific injuries. They also commonly deploy chemical weapons. The biggest punch they pack are vanilla nuclear weapons. Their advances in networking have helped them make great strides in robotics. They use drone support for troops quite extensively.

On power generation they use nuclear exclusively, but they are a number of decades ahead of earth where their power stations are more efficient and they are able to effectively deal with waste.

Historically, they were a mixed up combination of slaves that were dumped together so they don't tend to any particular cultural reference. Their world was changed hands many times in the course of Goa'uld power struggles as well. The last system lord who ruled them was defeated on his homeworld elsewhere. With no further support and due to the war shifting elsewhere, the locals were able to drive off the few remaining jaffa who had no further reason to be there.

Cue development through their history being somewhat unique, incorporating many forms and traditions of the long line of goa'uld who ruled them. They were in a constant state of war and peace until the final unification war which was so devastating that they had no choice but to reform or die. Even though their temporary form of government is vulnerable to corruption, it is currently stable.

Their involvement in the galaxy is one of cautious explorers. When they come across things they want or that they feel threatened by, they can tend to resort to violence rather quickly. The level to which they have mastered the technology and their approaches to warfare makes them rather adept at concealing their involvement in events that can directly incriminate them.

Just a draft idea so far after that discussion about feudalism. I don't have a name for them yet.

any idea what use they have? maybe nice LA - controlled planet (all LA planets get some form of autonomy. mostly a Commander is appointed as an overseer and someone from the planet is elected as kind of a "plantary president". not to mention restructuring of resources and people for use in more galaxy-wide LA matters)
                        In terms of purpose I've set them up to be fall guys. Their post war government setup eventually makes them vulnerable to the Sons of Sobek, who through various means manage to covertly seize control, making the Taqir homeworld their new seat of power even though they continue to masquerade as the noobs on the galactic block.

The Taqirans'(?) unification war virtually breaks them, leaving their world stripped of resources and mostly irradiated. They look to space (which has just opened up for them) and the stargate for the means to get back on their feet.

maybe loose the apostrophe? Taqir sounds better IMO.
                        Taqir is fine. I'm indifferent about that.

Comment

The Taqirans'(?) unification war virtually breaks them, leaving their world stripped of resources and mostly irradiated. They look to space (which has just opened up for them) and the stargate for the means to get back on their feet.
                          ah ok.

i liked the story "back to ground" but i found it quite confusing as to what the setting was initially.
                          Last edited by thekillman; 23 October 2011, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Hey guys so for my next story I was wondering what was a reasonable number of ships be for a private corporation that are used for transport of earth materials to off world sites.

Also do we have a Freighter yet or should we just say different companies on earth are making different types.

Also can we agree that trading with worlds that use slave labor (and I mean government sanctioned slavery) is forbidden by Earth and several of the galactic powers?
                            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic
                            So whats the worst that could happen?
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Also can we agree that trading with worlds that use slave labor (and I mean government sanctioned slavery) is forbidden by Earth and several of the galactic powers?
                              i would assume for convenience sake that whatever's in the Universal Rights of Man (or whatever the english name is) and the Geneva conventions would be in what i call the "Heliopolis conventions". that is, a series of conventions on Heliopolis that established basic rights for aliens for all Heliopolis-represented races.

NOTE:

-it's unlikely that every backwater Jaffa planet has agreed to this
                              -it's unlikely that the Jaffa agreed to all of it. it's very possible that they have a "retarded" version, in that they have a certain amount of years to make it so.

it's likely that while travel information for offworld partners is plentiful, but i think that the "dark side" of the galaxy (read: untravelled, not properly explored, non-allied to earth or Heliopolis, non-transparent, outright evil or whatever) would not have signed the treaties.

so i think that most inter-planet companies would have to tread very lightly and carefully around. i doubt we'd trade with everyone, as there would be "orange" and "red" areas where we can not guarantee it's Goauld and Lucian Alliance free. (free as in, no representation of either group among the people in power).

anyway, 90% of all trade is likely to Hebridan planets and major Jaffa planets, as well as the Tok'ra homeworld. (and a few Earth worlds we probably met).

the remaining 10% would be rebuild help assigned to planets with a sufficiently matching vision. (that is, how they treat citizens, human(alien) rights, etc).

Hebridan-Earth trade is likely cheap production labor (kind of how we use China. although it's looking like China will use US in the future).

Earth-Hebridan is likely food, stuff we produced here, resources (trinium?), and personell.

Jaffa is likely base resources (naquahdah?) to us while we send basic help (medicine, teachers, prefab homes and such).

Tok'ra would be mostly highly specialized stuff.

there's no standard freighter, but i think it would not be much different from modern ones. except there would be even less hull. most likely 90% superstructure filled with containers and the rest is a powersource, hyperdrive, fuel and engines.

Comment

What Killman said, trade between safe zones would likely be done by bulk freighter, but there certainly be a market for smaller ships, I make some sketches a while back:

I was really into Firefly back then...

Comment

Working...
                                X