No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now another point I want to add a discuss.
    Its returning to the engima of the Furlings, lasdt night at 4am I had a brainwave on them. The quantum Mirror. Now many people have suggested they were created by the Furlings, but I have an extension to it, what if the Furlings travel between dimensions and were only in ours for a short period of time, hence why they are not around anymore. It will also explain why we never ever have to include them, We destroyed our Quantum Mirror
    nice one. i'll add that to my list of "what could've happened to the furlings"

But we do not where bronze/iron plate armor and wield bronze tipped spears anymore, or ride horses into battle. We have advanced past those points.
    bronze is still being used you know. not for spear tips tho.

But enough of my digression ...
    it is my understanding that the Church was responsible (or it happened in their name) for burning quite a few books in the early middleages. granted, they copied quite some stuff and spread literacy.

Comment

Gor if the Houjin were taken from earth thousands of years ago how are they so similar to modern day Japan?

This has been bugging me as wouldn't their civilization be very different as they never had European powers exploit them, never had a sword ban, never got involved in WW II, and I'm guessing never had not one but two atomic bombs dropped on them then lost their military only for them to turn national pride into science and manufacturing instead of military conquest
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
        Gor if the Houjin were taken from earth thousands of years ago how are they so similar to modern day Japan?
        They are not really. Read about them. http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/Arata_Houjin'oukoku

I was just using it as a real world reference.

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
        turn national pride into science and manufacturing instead of military conquest
        They have done that^, but kept the militaristic parts. But not mindless conquest, they were going to fight the Goa'uld because they were both a major threat to the Houjin and an evil race.

There is only so much I can do however, as Killman has said all we have as reference is this world.
        sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

There is only so much I can do however, as Killman has said all we have as reference is this world.
          it's a simple truth. but you could easily refer to other works of fiction or reality to show what you'd like to show

They have done that
          but his comparison was that they wouldn't have based upon history

Comment

Even doing a basic search on Samurai culture, just wikipedia, I have just disproved nearly everything from your article. You state they got transplanted 350AD, Samurai culture did not emerge until the 7th Century and not in its complete form until the 12th. This was mostly driven by internal warfare in East Asia between China, Korea and Japan. None of these would happen offworld. And so where are you getting the Samurai's from. I can forgive you for ninjas historically if you tie in to the mythology of going offworld to Yamato Takeru one of the first, but crucially "legendary", and he was 4th century. But not really connected to Ninja's. I know these are pedantics and you want to make Japan in space...but these details have taken me less than 3 minutes to compile..

Sorry but the houjin are really starting to fall apart historically now. Cant you just put the actual Japanese in space!? Not just some Orientalist western version of them.

4.0 is Identical in size to 2.0 now
            Last edited by immhotep; 13 October 2011, 01:28 PM.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              it is my understanding that the Church was responsible (or it happened in their name) for burning quite a few books in the early middleages. granted, they copied quite some stuff and spread literacy.
              I'm not exactly pleading that it was only "in their name". I fully sympathize with those who find that a lame argument. What I'm saying is that the scale has been highly misrepresented on a popular culture level. Sure, books were burned. But the amount of knowledge preserved is so astonishing that -- while of course it doesn't "make up" for the loss -- it's cherry-picking to claim that the Church was responsible for a grand-scale setback in advancement. That's, to put it bluntly, nonsense. But it's what people have been told, so that's all they know. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying it, it just needs to be corrected.

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
              The Monks did preserve books, and not everyone in power in the church was a bad person. But corruption of what the Bible actually teach's and the traditions and corruption of many of the men in power in the church led to vicious persecution and atrocities
              The Church is made up of people, and people make mistakes, right? So sure, we agree.

especially committed on people who tried to show aspects of what the church was teaching was wrong, from the scriptures. I.E hell fire. The immortality of the soul. The cross.
              Good. Heaven. I'd forgotten you weren't a Christian.

Tell you what, hows about I open a thread where you and others who are curious can quiz me on Biblical Doctrine and Exegesis. Your thread went downhill so fast I abstained from posting in it, but maybe I can keep a new one afloat. I really feel that there's quite a lot of stuff you need to be instructed on.

EDIT: In fact, see here.

The church also had many "witch's" burned,
              Burning was actually pretty rare. And, fun fact: the notorious SPANISH INQUISITION ended witch-hunts in Spain decades before the rest of the western world, because they stated witchcraft did not leave enough evidence to be prosecuted. They also pioneered the concept of innocent until proven guilty, which was extremely radical at the time.

a good portion of which were innocents,
              So some weren't?? While this may well be true, I fail to see how it makes a difference. "Real" witches or not, the Church had no right to kill them.

rivals of men in the church
              Excommunication is a far more likely scenario. Burning would be highly unusual.

or people who spoke against what the church was doing.
              House arrest was more likely. Or excommunication. Or they'd just sic petty barons on them. I'm not defending this, just pointing out that it's not as if the Church went around burning people "for the lulz". It was actually a highly legal system for the time.

Or medieval type scientists, apothecaries and the like.
              Quite frequently church officials were funding these people ... so, no, actually. Burnings happened very rarely. Yes, they were wrong, but they weren't common, as you seem to imply.

In short ... whether you meant to or not, you give the idea that the Church just burned everybody. That's just silly.
              Last edited by Lt. Col. Mcoy; 13 October 2011, 01:57 PM.
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Science and Religion and Logic Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Hail Science

P.S. Mcoy can you empty out your private messages I have something to talk to you about
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Again? I thought I just cleared it some the other week ...

sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

*pinches the tip of his brow* Good grief people. It's amazing how much grief one newbie can cause. No offense to Gor.

I'm going back to studying for midterms.

Comment

*pinches the tip of his brow* Good grief people. It's amazing how much grief one newbie can cause. No offense to Gor.

I'm going back to studying for midterms.
                      ERM you remember MMD right!?
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                        ERM you remember MMD right!?
                        Oh MMD where has he gone?

He was full of so much....... (YOU FILL IN BLANK)

But you guys know what I mean

He had a great imagination.
                        A Face you Can Trust
                        sigpic

Comment

He gave me headaches daily, I hope he doesnt come back, save you guys trying to plan a war around a brilliant but half complete race. Nightmare!!
                          sigpic
                          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                            He gave me headaches daily, I hope he doesnt come back, save you guys trying to plan a war around a brilliant but half complete race. Nightmare!!
                            Good plan, I can work some more on my stuff.... maybe finish Project Icegate... I am once again curious, did we ever finalise the gunships for planets we'd be using ? I do not mean the stuff that is space usible mind you, the gunships that transport items from place to place on a planet only

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Need a qq answered, can someone link me to the battleship of the reboot fleet plz, need to have look
                              sigpic
                              11000! green me

Comment

But the amount of knowledge preserved is so astonishing that -- while of course it doesn't "make up" for the loss -- it's cherry-picking to claim that the Church was responsible for a grand-scale setback in advancement.
                                i understand. i thought you meant they weren't responsible for book burning.

the main problem comes from the Roman Empire falling. not the church "taking over"

i like him. he reminds me of... well me.

the problem is he doesn't take into account that he's gone for 99% of the time. i always wonder, whenever he returns, how long it'll take before he leaves.

the gunships that transport items from place to place on a planet only
                                dropships or transports or gunships?

technically the thing we voted through was more of a Dropship with guns than a true gunship. and i really had more need for a gunship than a dropship.

Need a qq answered, can someone link me to the battleship of the reboot fleet plz, need to have look
                                i believe it's on the wiki.

Here. first ship

Comment

Working...
                                X