Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
    Hmm. Cool back story.

Oh, and I would only want to use anti matter if it proved more powerful then Naquadah. Enough to make the danger worth it.
    It's not, Naqudah seems to magically have a energy content higher than E=MC^2.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Anti-matter/matter reactions are devastating. One gram of matter and one gram of anti matter annihilating each other produces 180 terajoules I believe. Thats a little over 42 kilotons. We would need to know how much Naquadah it takes to equal that.
      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

It's really hard to come up with original weapons and even semi-original starship or hand-weapons. Seen some great ideas on gwvf, which I know some of the users on this discussion thread maintain.
        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Anti-matter/matter reactions are devastating. One gram of matter and one gram of anti matter annihilating each other produces 180 terajoules I believe. Thats a little over 42 kilotons. We would need to know how much Naquadah it takes to equal that.
          What about dark matter ? I am quite sure Amann's Alesians use both Antimatter and Darkmatter reactors on thier ships. I know for a fact my version of the Furlings use magnetically cooled plasma/darkmatter reactors

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
            What about dark matter ? I am quite sure Amann's Alesians use both Antimatter and Darkmatter reactors on thier ships. I know for a fact my version of the Furlings use magnetically cooled plasma/darkmatter reactors
            I am not very familiar with the properties of Dark matter. Its hard to be because we do not actually know what it is, same with dark energy. I remember on 3.0 some race had dark matter based power sources.

But I are familiar with anti-matter. I think that with 1.5 kilograms of antimatter and 1.5 kilograms of matter, the mutual annihilation produces about 67.5 megatons of energy, or, 282,420 terajoules. I think I got that right. We need to know how much Naquadah it takes to produce the same amount of energy, then we will know which one is better.

I have been farting around the house all day today, doing this. L.o.l. I am gonna be gone tomorrow so I need to get it out of my system. Or into my system. I need my nerd speak fix man!!!

Its nice to talk to people who understand all this junk. My parents go into a coma when I try to talk about it with them. My brother runs way and hides. The dog..well. He drools.
            Last edited by Gormagon; 25 August 2011, 12:17 PM.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Ouroboros did the calculations a while back. They work out to physics defying.

Ok, not to be rude or anything, but let's get something straight people: You can't just take random scientific words and put them in front of whatever device you want. If you can explain how a dark matter "reactor" works, then I'd love to hear it, but could we keep the technobable somewhat intelligent, with explanations and all that snazzy jazz?

Comment

Thing is dark matter doesn't interact with normal baryonic matter except through gravity. 1kg antimatter = 9x10^16 joules of energy so 20 megatons. We used antimatter for the Vasnalok in 3.0 and the whole point of 4.0 is to go almost back to basics, so no hyper-advanced races.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  Ouroboros did the calculations a while back. They work out to physics defying.
                  Id like to see the calculations. Id like to know how much energy 2 grams of naquadah can produce. Then 3 kilograms of naquadah.

How the heck is it spelled? Naquahda, Naquahdah, Naquda, Naquadah, Naquada, Naquida, Naquidah....... Which ones right?!!?!?
                  Anti matter is not hyper advanced. We have very basic anti matter technology now. HLN was also used in 3.0. should we not use it in 4.0?
                  Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

in the form of CAT scans, we've caught a few thousand particles of antimatter and that's it. We certainly aren't using it as a proper technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                      in the form of CAT scans, we've caught a few thousand particles of antimatter and that's it. We certainly aren't using it as a proper technology.
                      But the Houjin are over 800 years ahead of were we are now. And they have always been obsessed with advancement. And I said basic. We are aware of its existence and have used particle accelerators to create some short lived anti matter particles.

How does your rank increase? You people have to give you good ratings or is it number of posts?

Comment

By number of posts. I wouldn't even call it basic, more like non-existent. I don't see them having a role in this fleet, if they are allies of the Tauri, they would really tip the balance of power towards us rather than a level playing field which we have at the moment.

Comment

But the Kaizoku Karuteru which roughly means "pirate cartels" would fight against us if it meant protecting or gaining profit. They have most of the same technologies as the Houjin. And the Tau'ri are against what the Kaizoku stand for.(Smuggling, pirating, drugs, slaving, e.c.t.) So, they would not like the Tau'ri. And we could save my races for later if need be, to fight the Tka or Shrin'yar.

Since the are around as advanced as the Tollan, should they have phase technology? Basic phase technology? I think shields can be adjusted to block Tollan phase devices anyway. Wait, can a Tollan phase device go through a shield? Narim" It would be capable of penetrating any solid matter" Jack-"you mean their making this bomb so that it can go through anything?" Narim-"Theoretically yes" So what about shields?
                          Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Their purpose is to be a new super power for GWVF.
                            quite frankly there are enough.

Also, after the Lucian alliance is done, the Kaizoku Karutetu could be a new enemy.
                            they'll have to get in line

They have nanite technology
                            to what extent?

It, its moons and the other planets in that system are overflowing with trinium and naquadah.
                            any such planet would've been used by the Ancientts.

also it won't be a pretty place to live with dozens of potential supernukes around.

Oh, and about antimatter. One, it can be synthesized from normal particles. I remember reading about it in a Star Trek tech book and we have made it in real life, in tiny amounts. But if you mean "were do I get it" as on a ship, it would be stored in magnetic containment tanks.
                            all amat we ever made can fit inside a human cell.

Dang it. I take it you know were Fusion cannons and Hellbores come from then?
                            no clue. but what's the difference between the two? is there a difference?

I think within the context of stargate and then the fleets the term Ion Cannon was a loose one with quite a range of technologies being encompassed by them. Ion based weaponry was commonplace in the galaxy within human powers, notibly the Aschen, Tollan and Tauri. Its possible that our technology base has a particular affinity for this style of weaponry. I
                            the only confirmed case is the Tollan. all else appears to be Plasma.

The Aschen weapons were more alike to the Tollan models and were slowly upgraded over the course of the war to work specifically against our shields.
                            i'm talking about on-the-fly modification. not instant, but pre-loaded coding and properly designed frequency modulators should make it possible on the fly.

Oh, and I would only want to use anti matter if it proved more powerful then Naquadah. Enough to make the danger worth it.
                            naquahdriah's this fleets AMAT. it has various obvious drawbacks tho

In Star Trek, the closer your weapons frequency to the shield the better. In Stargate, I thought it was reversed. You want as opposite a resonance as possible.
                            i believe you need an identical frequency and an opposite phase

We would need to know how much Naquadah it takes to equal that.
                            depends on the source

if it even exists. and even then it reacts only through gravity, your reactors only work near galaxies, and even then it's still a very iffy tech.

If you can explain how a dark matter "reactor" works,
                            assuming it exists, assuming it's a WIMP and assuming it's it's own anti-particle, sufficient gravity would cause it to collapse unto itself and self-annihiliate. assuming it produces useable energy, it's a great powersource with large amounts of fuel.
                            notice the "assuming" s

How the heck is it spelled
                            depends on the source.

But the Houjin are over 800 years ahead of were we are now. And they have always been obsessed with advancement. And I said basic. We are aware of its existence and have used particle accelerators to create some short lived anti matter particles.
                            believe me, the energy required would be like 800x higher than the energy you get from it. an equatorial particle accellerator might do it but i don't want to live near it.

I don't see them having a role in this fleet, if they are allies of the Tauri, they would really tip the balance of power towards us rather than a level playing field which we have at the moment.
                            oh no earth's gonna have a hard, hard time. the LA is level playing field, because the LA has a few untoucheable worlds (well, unless you want to leave our space vulnerable, and small attacks won't really work). plus the whole spying thing and some murky politics. LA+ Aschen will be hell for earth, and i'm not sure about the Tka and the Shrin'yar.

I wouldn't even call it basic, more like non-existent.
                            well a really big particle accellerator might do the trick. but Naquahdah's energy density, even on the lower calcs, is sufficient to match or approach AMAT. it's safer, easier to handle, can be found in nature, etc etc etc.

I don't see them having a role in this fleet
                            well they could at best be some random race encountered by the LA. but not at that level.

Comment

But the Kaizoku Karuteru which roughly means "pirate cartels"
                              what role do they have that the LA can not fulfill?

LA are the well-organized extremely murky politics race,

the Shrin'Yar are an empire without territory,

the Tka are the schemers and Puppeteers,

the Aschen are the far more direct Schemers and out for revenge and the rewards it can bring (territorial expansion etc)

and the Pure Evil role can be taken up by any of the, like, 990 remaining minor goauld you can have any day.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                what role do they have that the LA can not fulfill?

LA are the well-organized extremely murky politics race,

the Shrin'Yar are an empire without territory,

the Tka are the schemers and Puppeteers,

the Aschen are the far more direct Schemers and out for revenge and the rewards it can bring (territorial expansion etc)

and the Pure Evil role can be taken up by any of the, like, 990 remaining minor goauld you can have any day.
                                Well, perhaps if not a major enemy, they could be more like the Orion pirates of star trek, but way more advanced. They could be a minor annoyance if you do not want them to be a major enemy. The LA, I do not think they are as advanced as the KK.
                                Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X