No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps the rebellion against Ra was what first attracted Asgard attention back to the Milky Way after the fall of the Alliance. They came as gods, and -- most importantly to the newly free humans -- benevolent ones. Stonehenge would then be a marker and reminder of the time when the old gods fell and the new gods arrived.

I actually think that's a plausible scenario, and it has the benefit of explaining why the Asgard took humans from Earth rather than just protecting Earth. The other Goa'uld still there would have fought them, so they took some of the humans and made safe colonies.

Given this scenario, it's also possible that Stonehenge was built after the Asgard stopped transplanting humans (for whatever reason). In this case, it would be a monument of supplication for the blessed gods to return and take the Britons as they had taken others.
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Maybe its not a burial ground but a Cyro Center or prison for (insert alien name here) so by doing something Earth opens it and finds (insert alien name here) and have to decide what to do with the aliens inside, release them, study them, or just kill them

Maybe we find ancient Asgard, perhaps maybe some Goa'uld prisoners or minor goa'uld, or maybe we find a new race

Edit: Perhaps its lab where secret work was being done for a race but it used test subjects from the entire galaxy, so in cyrostatis Earth finds Asgard, Goa'uld, Tok'ra, Jaffa, Humans Serakins, Nox, and any other race in the milky way or who has been in the milky way.

Now the question is does earth keep up the research or let the assembled being be released?
      Last edited by fugiman; 28 February 2011, 01:55 PM.
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Perhaps the rebellion against Ra was what first attracted Asgard attention back to the Milky Way after the fall of the Alliance. They came as gods, and -- most importantly to the newly free humans -- benevolent ones. Stonehenge would then be a marker and reminder of the time when the old gods fell and the new gods arrived.

I actually think that's a plausible scenario, and it has the benefit of explaining why the Asgard took humans from Earth rather than just protecting Earth. The other Goa'uld still there would have fought them, so they took some of the humans and made safe colonies.

Given this scenario, it's also possible that Stonehenge was built after the Asgard stopped transplanting humans (for whatever reason). In this case, it would be a monument of supplication for the blessed gods to return and take the Britons as they had taken others.
        While I think its a valid later interpretation it does not fit. The viking civilization was from the 7-13 centuries and this incorporated all elements of the mythology and the spread of norse-paganism in northern europe. This is at least 4000 years after the goauld left, and indeed from when stonehenge was built and any use of stonehenge as a marker, real or otherwise of Asgard presence on Earth is purely symbolic or reuse.

There is a very interesting and important mythology of the Asgard by which we can understand their development and interaction with the MW. Earth was at some point considered one of the Asgard's Nine Homeworlds:

The three worlds above the earth, in heaven:

1. Múspellsheimr (Muspelheim or Muspell): Realm of fire
        2. Álfheimr (Alfheim): Realm of the light elves
        3. Ásgarðr (Asgard): Realm of the gods

The three worlds on earth:

4. Vanaheimr (Vanaheim): Realm of the Vanir
        5. Miðgarðr (Midgard): Realm of man
        6. Jötunheimr (Jotunheim): Realm of the giants

The three worlds below the earth, in underworld:

7. Svartálfaheimr (Svartalfheim): Realm of the Dark Elves
        8. Niflhel (Hel): Realm of the dead
        9. Niflheimr (Niflheim): Realm of ice or mist home
        Heaven in the case of Stargate would most likely mean Ida, the worlds on Earth could mean a combination of Earth as a planet, the realm of humans, and the galaxy as a whole being referred to as Earth when translated back and the underworld a combination of the goauld and potentially the replicators.
        Theres most likely a great real more to this than I want to go in to, but the connection between the Goauld leaving and the Asgard being benevolent gods shouldnt be slapped together just because of stonehenge. They are event thousands of years apart. What is interesting is that the Ancients appear to have had some influence on Roman civilization, as evidenced by Janus and the God of the Gates theory. Which makes no sense in terms of a conventional timeline. There must be some kind of facility on Earth which preserved the Ancients in the intervening years.

I have a timeline which could work and connect the dots:

-Ancients return 8,000b.c
        After the exedous of Atlantis they split in to three forces, some left and travelled to Ida/formed (or refound) the alliance, and some remained on Earth.
        Those who remained found Earth too primative to exist at this time and so put themselves to sleep in antartica. The used a few remaining puddle jumpers to explore some staying in new locations.
        -Goauld left 3,000b.c
        -Stonehenge Build 3,000b.c
        Natural monument, built to local god or perhap a leftover goauld, or my healing centre theory
        -Ancients returned 500-0b.c
        The ZPM in antartica ran out of power and the Ancients decided to travel, eventually found civilization around the Med and in Britain through the ring devices left behind by the goauld. Eventually the age of Rome ended, the last ancient to ascend (Jesus) left behind instruction to destroy the vast majority of the evidence of the goauld through demonising paganism, hoping to protect the planet further.
        Ancients used thier technology to communicate with other races such as the Asgard, and proclaimed that this was once again a homeworld, they met at stonehenge, and the Asgard eventually made their way to Earth. Also reopened the stargate and allowed some groups to leave and come, such as the Tollan and Aschen.
        -600-1000AD Asgard return to Earth and establish a mythology in northern europe which takes over from that of the Romans/Lantians, especially in reconnecting displaced people, or indeed relocating them. Viking Culture influenced by the exploration and ship culture of the Asgard
        -Spread of Christianity in the 7-10th century allows for Asgard to slowly retreat on Earth, with perhaps a small number of christians and other faiths being transplanted also, bringing in to the mix things like the medieval culture with the Unas.

This is just a general stargate timeline but I think there should be connection between Stonehenge and the Tauri rebellion. Although It cannot be a simple memorial, as the distances are too great unless the goauld were all over Earth and so constructed stonehenge to also leave in a more gradual process of global revolution after the stargate is taken.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Maybe its not a burial ground but a Cyro Center or prison for (insert alien name here) so by doing something Earth opens it and finds (insert alien name here) and have to decide what to do with the aliens inside, release them, study them, or just kill them

Maybe we find ancient Asgard, perhaps maybe some Goa'uld prisoners or minor goa'uld, or maybe we find a new race

Edit: Perhaps its lab where secret work was being done for a race but it used test subjects from the entire galaxy, so in cyrostatis Earth finds Asgard, Goa'uld, Tok'ra, Jaffa, Humans Serakins, Nox, and any other race in the milky way or who has been in the milky way.

Now the question is does earth keep up the research or let the assembled being be released?
          In terms of a plot, that would be really great, and it could work in the asgard context, with humans and ancients present they could have created a genetics base on Earth and been benevolent and brought people back to Earth to study, hence helping the mythology develop its 9 layers as representative of the galaxy. Building up a complete picture of human evolution, this could be where they have been using as base all along, no roswell. Since Earth returned to power they havent been able to return or not yet or they had forgot. We find it and see what they were up to, evil asgard etc?
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
            In terms of a plot, that would be really great, and it could work in the asgard context, with humans and ancients present they could have created a genetics base on Earth and been benevolent and brought people back to Earth to study, hence helping the mythology develop its 9 layers as representative of the galaxy. Building up a complete picture of human evolution, this could be where they have been using as base all along, no roswell. Since Earth returned to power they havent been able to return or not yet or they had forgot. We find it and see what they were up to, evil asgard etc?
            That would be great maybe a long time ago when the Asgard first came to earth their were the ethical ones like Thor who saw great potential but then lets say there were some Loki like guys who want to study not just humans but other races in the milky way as a way to understand the species and how to fight the.

Thus the ethical Asgard won and the lab was lost until now.
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Well, it looks like there's a lot of discussion about using stonehenge, I like the idea of combining the gaould/asgard worshipping civilisations in Britain. Maybe, there is advanced technology from a combination of gaould and asgard technology under stonehenge.

Comment

You know, the more I think of it, the less I like all this. Honestly, the most original plot we could have is where characters are investigating all this and they find -- nothing. It's not magic, it's not technological, it's just rocks. Nothing super-cool or spacy, just an old henge. We don't have to explain everything; any good story leaves some mystery.
                sigpic

Comment

You know, the more I think of it, the less I like all this. Honestly, the most original plot we could have is where characters are investigating all this and they find -- nothing. It's not magic, it's not technological, it's just rocks. Nothing super-cool or spacy, just an old henge. We don't have to explain everything; any good story leaves some mystery.
                  Well what I have been saying is that the actual monument is not magic or technological atall. Its marker or a memorial for something that happened, something that used to be there, or for something symbolic. The only way to explain stonehenge would be to find an example offworld which had not had druids crawling all over it for a decades and had hundreds of uses throughout history.
                  I personally think that trying to combine the asgard and goauld couldnt work if it was related directly to stonehenge as a monument simply because the interactions between Goauld-Asgard-Humans are divided by at least 4000 years, most likely intersected by a Ancient intervention. If stonehenge was used by any of these races at construction it would be the goauld. It could then have been reused by the Ancients, and then reused again or studied by the Asgard and then destroyed by Merlin and Arthur to prevent more interference on Earth by Advanced races/and the Ori.
                  What stonehenge should really be, is a marker of human-alien interaction throughout the ages, and finding out about its history indirectly through something offworld would be a great way to establish that line. Personally I would love to see a Neolithic civilization that was transplaneted by the Goauld from Britain in the area around Stonehenge, and were then abandoned, and perhaps the culture has remained while the technology advanced, and one of those important features is the use of henges as a communications and ceremonial link between travellers to our world and the native population.
                  sigpic
                  11000! green me

Comment

Well what I have been saying is that the actual monument is not magic or technological atall. Its marker or a memorial for something that happened, something that used to be there, or for something symbolic. The only way to explain stonehenge would be to find an example offworld which had not had druids crawling all over it for a decades and had hundreds of uses throughout history.
                    I personally think that trying to combine the asgard and goauld couldnt work if it was related directly to stonehenge as a monument simply because the interactions between Goauld-Asgard-Humans are divided by at least 4000 years, most likely intersected by a Ancient intervention. If stonehenge was used by any of these races at construction it would be the goauld. It could then have been reused by the Ancients, and then reused again or studied by the Asgard and then destroyed by Merlin and Arthur to prevent more interference on Earth by Advanced races/and the Ori.
                    What stonehenge should really be, is a marker of human-alien interaction throughout the ages, and finding out about its history indirectly through something offworld would be a great way to establish that line. Personally I would love to see a Neolithic civilization that was transplaneted by the Goauld from Britain in the area around Stonehenge, and were then abandoned, and perhaps the culture has remained while the technology advanced, and one of those important features is the use of henges as a communications and ceremonial link between travellers to our world and the native population.
                    Personally, this is why I would avoid using stone henge. Its almost too well understood if you know what I mean. I'm sure there are other relics and ancient sites that give a writer far more room to maneuver in terms of stories that could be told without requiring creative gymnastics to fit with existing stargate canon.

Comment

Hmmm... other mythos mentioned, on thw topic of other types of mythology, So far in SG1 I've seen Native America, and Greek, maybe some Roman mythos as well, and also Egyptian, and some African and Israli mythology as well in the show. But I've yet to see Japanese, Chinese or even so much as Buddhaism type of groups in Stargate.

What about those groups I've mentioned, aren't they out there somewhere ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I think Mayan or Aztec has been linked to Goa'uld, as well as a large part of Chinese history through the System Lord Yu.

The 3 imperial treasures of the Japanese royal family may be something interesting to base a story off of, since their history exists only as folklore.

Comment

Umm, no Buddhist-like people? I'm pretty sure the first episode with Oma (and really, all of them) qualifies ...

We also seem to have forgotten poor Amaterasu.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm... other mythos mentioned, on the topic of other types of mythology, So far in SG1 I've seen Native America, and Greek, maybe some Roman mythos as well, and also Egyptian, and some African and Israli mythology as well in the show. But I've yet to see Japanese, Chinese or even so much as Buddhaism type of groups in Stargate.

What about those groups I've mentioned, aren't they out there somewhere ?
                            We can assume that Nirti and another Hindu deities were responsible for the construction of the indian pyramids, similarly for Mayan ones. Really stonehenge is one of the few monuments that has been left by stargate besides a small reference in Seth. Buddhism is virtually the entire mythology behind the Ascension storyline.
                            But we havent seen a huge amount of these offworld you are right.
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

Well we could always go with the ancient wonders of the world and the ones that were destroyed were actually alien tech that was either scavenged by the goa'uld, taken by another race or just forgotten and now lies on earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_W..._Ancient_World
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                                We can assume that Nirti and another Hindu deities were responsible for the construction of the indian pyramids, similarly for Mayan ones. Really stonehenge is one of the few monuments that has been left by stargate besides a small reference in Seth. Buddhism is virtually the entire mythology behind the Ascension storyline.
                                But we havent seen a huge amount of these offworld you are right.
                                Only thing being I never saw any referance to Buddhism in any of the Series at all. Not even any mentions of Journey to the West either or Three Kingdoms, Warring States, nothing of that sort pertainingto history.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X