X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alx?

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
      How do you mean? Besides the fact that they would turn every SG team member into an Ubermensch that only a Tka or and Alfar could fight.
      But let's face it, Earth's game has always been outdoing everyone on the ground combat side. Replacing that virus with medical nanites (which would definitely not cause a PR disaster) is a great way to start. Then we could expand into neural communicators, like the Link (obviously not meant to erase memories or the like).

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
      NANITES = PR DISASTER

That is all I have to say on that particular issue. No one would use them after the Ori/Replicator thing ... unless they were insane.
      Mwahahaha-

And NO, Tom, that does not mean you get to invent an insane character to use them.

As to suits, those are fine.
      Dull. What sci fi doesn't use power suits. And the tech is out there, it's only a mater of time before somebody else develops a version of the armbands, or Hok'taurs, or any one of dozen other super soldier technologies.

Comment

Really cool horizon weapon animation. I like the final stage where the missiles deploy and fan out.

Dull. What sci fi doesn't use power suits.
        BSG, Firefly, Star Trek, Space:Above and Beyond, Starship Troopers etc.

And the tech is out there, it's only a mater of time before somebody else develops a version of the armbands, or Hok'taurs, or any one of dozen other super soldier technologies.
        The Sons of Sobek use powered armour, but for the sake of balance I've nerfed it by acknowledging it as an archaic form of warfare with very limited application. With the super and mid range weapons SG-verse churns out on a whim the cost of suits for how Earth conducts warfare doesn't seem viable. SG Earth would just look to establish space superiority and by extension, air superiority, and dictate the course of battle from afar. Jaffa seem more likely to develop armour than Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
          Really cool horizon weapon animation. I like the final stage where the missiles deploy and fan out.

The Sons of Sobek use powered armour, but for the sake of balance I've nerfed it by acknowledging it as an archaic form of warfare with very limited application. With the super and mid range weapons SG-verse churns out on a whim the cost of suits for how Earth conducts warfare doesn't seem viable. SG Earth would just look to establish space superiority and by extension, air superiority, and dictate the course of battle from afar. Jaffa seem more likely to develop armour than Earth.
          Given that our current military stategy is based on getting air superiority, this isn't that far to imagine. Ground operations aren't going to be on the same level as now. space will be the dominant areana where battles are won and lost. We will most likely use small numbers of ships but use them effectively (ie we use each ship for what it is best at), wereas the Jaffa will most likely build a generic ship to fit all roles (Jack of all trades sort of thing)

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Given that our current military stategy is based on getting air superiority, this isn't that far to imagine. Ground operations aren't going to be on the same level as now. space will be the dominant areana where battles are won and lost. We will most likely use small numbers of ships but use them effectively (ie we use each ship for what it is best at), wereas the Jaffa will most likely build a generic ship to fit all roles (Jack of all trades sort of thing)
            i think that Ground warfare is still gonna be important. just not in situations where space superiority can be achieved. i mean, it's not like they'll aim their guns at their own planet...

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
              Now a little entertainment, missile testing

Spoiler:
              Part of me just died with envy... Excellent work. Do you do that professionally? Or are you just that amazing that you can have a life and be a CG god?

Originally posted by blackluster View Post

Actually, they do have them in Star Trek, the Hirogen use them as do the Borg after a fashion and Starfleet environment act like power armor.

Also, what Starship Troopers are you talking about? The book had them using nothing but and the third movie introduced them. Haven't seen enough of the other ones.
              My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Also, what Starship Troopers are you talking about? The book had them using nothing but and the third movie introduced them. Haven't seen enough of the other ones.
                ah yes, you are correct. I was thinking of the first 2 films where cybernetics were predominantly used as prosthetics, not as soldier enhancers.

Comment

I refuse to acknowledge the movies as in any way connected to the book, which was superior by at least 3 orders of magnitude.

And the book was based sound powered armor.

Comment

Oh they have a tangentially related plot. And almost nothing in common besides. I like to think of the movies as the boisterous cousin by marriage who lives across town.

Comment

Oh they have a tangentially related plot. And almost nothing in common besides. I like to think of the movies as the boisterous cousin by marriage who lives across town.
                      I don't know if that's sufficiently distantly related.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                        I don't know if that's sufficiently distantly related.
                        Fine, the third cousin twice removed who just moved to the next county over who you only ever see on major holidays and happens to have the same non-brown eye color as you.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          i think that Ground warfare is still gonna be important. just not in situations where space superiority can be achieved. i mean, it's not like they'll aim their guns at their own planet...
                          Ground warfare will always be a feature in any theatre of war. There are times when collateral damage has to be taken in consideration. Up armoured suits are already being researched in many countries and it will only be a matter of time before they are adapted mechanically as well, or should I say enhanced.

Part of me just died with envy... Excellent work. Do you do that professionally? Or are you just that amazing that you can have a life and be a CG god?

Actually, they do have them in Star Trek, the Hirogen use them as do the Borg after a fashion and Starfleet environment act like power armor.

I'm as envious as you Ex, no it's not my work but that of a friend, he's branching out into CG from humble modelling only a year ago.
                          My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                          sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                            I'm as envious as you Ex, no it's not my work but that of a friend, he's branching out into CG from humble modelling only a year ago.
                            Ah, my compliments to him and his skill. Oh, would you rather PM my story or E-mail it when you are done with it?

Comment

Ah, my compliments to him and his skill. Oh, would you rather PM my story or E-mail it when you are done with it?
                              I'll email it to you Ex, as it still requires a little touch up from you, nothing major though, probably no more than an hours work
                              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

how is ALX?

Comment

Working...
                                X