Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    In theory, you might be able to jury rig some sort of cheap spike with inertial dampeners and shields that can be inserted into ans asteroid for safe landing. How expensive it would be compared to a beaming node I can' say, David?

But essentially, yes, most of the jobs associated with mining are still there, which means all the secondary and tertiary ones are there too. It would be a booming industry, in fact.
    I would say short-term a hyperdrive method of transporting asteroids would be cheaper, but in the long-term, the beaming nodes will be.

Comment

There's still a bit of delta vee to be altered in order to get the asteroid to orbit, but it's a lot safer to hyperspace it in that to hurl it at the planet at RKV velocities.

On a tangent, would you guys say that given the story takes place in 1999, a sniper rifle or a battle rifle would be the better choice for a vacuum capable firearm?

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
        I would say short-term a hyperdrive method of transporting asteroids would be cheaper, but in the long-term, the beaming nodes will be.
        I don't mean that, beaming nodes are used mostly for putting pieces of rock actually on the ground, I was wondering whether a beaming node would cost more than creating a rudimentary inertial dampener, shield and power source that you could drive into an asteroid so you can bring it down safely (from orbit) without having to beam it.
        Since both systems are reusable, I figure long term costs don't really enter into it.

Comment

On a tangent, would you guys say that given the story takes place in 1999, a sniper rifle or a battle rifle would be the better choice for a vacuum capable firearm?

Neither, combustion requires oxygen. If however you were going to make one, I would say sniper rifle would be easier due to firing fewer shells. Thus fewer very expensive short run shells have to be made per very expensive short run rifle.
          My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

i do not know would they even fire in a vacuum but if they do it does not make a diffrence they will just keep going

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
              Neither, combustion requires oxygen. If however you were going to make one, I would say sniper rifle would be easier due to firing fewer shells. Thus fewer very expensive short run shells have to be made per very expensive short run rifle.
              Actually, most bullets today have oxidizer as well as fuel in their cartridge, so they should work without too much modification.

Originally posted by guppy338 View Post
              i do not know would they even fire in a vacuum but if they do it does not make a diffrence they will just keep going
              Heat is the biggest issue actually is the heat from a detonating shell, since would be enough to render the gun un-operational gin the medium term without an atmosphere to conduct it away.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                i don't understand your point.
                They introduced advanced technology and in less then a generation we had a high tech utopia.
                My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Heat is the biggest issue actually is the heat from a detonating shell, since would be enough to render the gun un-operational gin the medium term without an atmosphere to conduct it away.
                  The heat would conduct away no problem. heat can travel through a vacum

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Depends on what you mean by heat . . .
                    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

well I would say via thermal radiation
                      Last edited by bradly08; 31 August 2010, 12:52 PM.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                        The heat would conduct away no problem. heat can travel through a vacum
                        Yes, but due to the fact that it has to radiate away, it dissipates a lot, lot slower than in a medium.

Comment

Yes, but due to the fact that it has to radiate away, it dissipates a lot, lot slower than in a medium.
                          keep the gun cool, and don't fire it as much. that way you can use it and still keep it working

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                            keep the gun cool, and don't fire it as much. that way you can use it and still keep it working
                            Ergo, sniper rifles seem to be the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                              Secretary of Homeworld Security. He's retired from the military. His job is to oversee all Stargate Operations, so he's over the USGF and the USGR. He doesn't have authority over the fleet (USF/USC); the Secretary of Interstellar Defense does; hence why Sam would not be reporting to Jack (alone). If we're using MacGregor as Secretary of Interstellar Defense, she'd report to him. Or MacGregor and Jack together.

Well, Ben would still be subordinate to Sam, and he couldn't take two 304's (which are a serious asset to the Earth Fleet) without the Sec. Interstellar Defense's approval even if Sam agreed. Jack wouldn't have an official say in that, though.

General Ikagura, as commander on Heliopolis, would be a ground officer, not a fleet officer: probably USGF. But he, McLelland (ISGC commander), and Sam would be in close contact as the senior officers in the sector.

Ikagura would probably be operating with Hebridian and Jaffa forces as well on Heliopolis, since it's not an Earth colony per se, but rather a neutral diplomatic center.

And Tom, we can build more Asgard beam nodes, etc.; they're just more likely to resemble the Beliskner's technology rather than the O'Neill's. (I.e., the beam nodes operate in a certain area, not omnidirectionally.) They would still be expensive, however, and civilian models would doubtless have numerous safety locks on them.
                              Originally posted by Weedle View Post
                              D'oh. My bad, well Dave's as well. Too many MacGregors, though I did mention Ben was as bad as his old man. I'll PM Dave and see if he wants me to re-write that chapter for him using your input. Oh and I read back Ikagura is a Admiral, but his rank doesn't matter I guess. And I was assuming the Britannia and Chicago were 340's, hence only having a half squadron of 401's.

Right, in perspective. Sam would report to Macgregor snr and Jack both perhaps, maybe they are in the same building??? Ah right, got it, they are having lunch when Sam pops in *literallly* So too much emotion....where
                              Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                              The thing is, it really needs rewriting as we need to introduce discussion with regards to the alkesh as well. Well we can just quote the number of hataks destroyed and then for the post-battle report, quote the number of alkeshes that have been destroyed as well. PJ please do, if I could have a look at anything first though before you post it here. The post-battle report is fine, besides the over emotional Carter and who she reports too, which we've cleared up and what I said above.
                              Ok Dave, I've multi-quoted the posts concerned. I'll PM you with my email and you can send me the chapters. I'll go through them all, just let me know of any changes you need.

I'll also re-do Weedle's edit of the Post battel chapter. We can sort out whos' who and where.
                              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

On asteroid mining: it is a good idea though I personally prefer the factory ship approach which I brought up many moons ago. I suspect how such a mining operation would work is with a type of prefabricated mining platform (something like an oil rig) which a small crew works on. These are flown out to the asteroids and set down on one that has been extensively surveyed. The platform lands and begins drilling, producing crushed ore which is sifted to reduce mass. A refinery ship stops by routinely to swap out the platform crew and to pick up the ore. The refinery ship then processes the ore on route to a colony or earth.

I find the above most viable in terms of using transport and what seems feasible based on how big I foresee the operation being. I think the extraterrestrial mining operations won't grow particularly quickly considering what it takes to actually mine minerals. For the all the potential growth in the galaxy, I doubt Earth would have exploited much of it which kind of leads me to a comment on the economy of 2025. Those are my thoughts on it though I'm probably a minority in this outlook.

On the economy: IMHO I don't really foresee massive economic growth on account of incredibly strict regulation to protect the global economy. Personally, I think off world business will become controlled by a relatively low number of larger companies since I don't think anyone else will really be by the means to create specialized industries, especially not in the space of essentially 15 years. The surveying process itself can take years and in this day and age, the list of groups who can do it isn't particularly large either.

Another factor I think is the technology limit. In order to exploit much of the fantastic opportunity in the galaxy requires some special technology. (beaming nodes for instance but there would be simpler and cheaper examples) The issue here being that not many groups can even afford to invest in this technology, let alone deploy it.

Thus I believe for a 15 year timeskip, one would still find a few large companies basically controlling off world business and their own competition would basically regulate growth to making calculated steps and acquisitions over relatively long periods.(note: if they choose to compete, a type of pseudo parastatal is a real danger I believe) One could expect a boom in the demand for highly skilled workers which I don't think will be sufficiently filled at all.

Originally posted by Tom
                                A better choice for what? Pros and cons change quite drastically depending on what you're using it for. In terms of the choices listed, "vacuum capable" isn't really an application but a service environment. You could essentially make anything vacuum capable.

Comment

Working...
                                X