Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
    We could do all of that with a specially designed mining ship. Military ships would be needed for other things (Espicially during a war) so having the military do it would be unesscerry.
    Except that it takes literary, half an hour max, for an asteroid to be secured and towed to orbit the colony.

It makes more economic sense to use ships that we already have tan to spend more money to build these hyper-specialized asteroid tugs.

Comment

That, and the hyper specialized ships by their very nature are ships of mass destruction. Dropping heavy rocks on things does not do good things for the recipient.
      My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
        That, and the hyper specialized ships by their very nature are ships of mass destruction. Dropping heavy rocks on things does not do good things for the recipient.
        See? There's a reason military ships do this!

Comment

Originally posted by Weedle View Post
          I wasn't sure of the timeline, and well it's Dave's story. But from the number and name of the ships I was figuring it was in our future 2025 stuff. In which case jack would be around 75 years old So what is his position.
          Secretary of Homeworld Security. He's retired from the military. His job is to oversee all Stargate Operations, so he's over the USGF and the USGR. He doesn't have authority over the fleet (USF/USC); the Secretary of Interstellar Defense does; hence why Sam would not be reporting to Jack (alone). If we're using MacGregor as Secretary of Interstellar Defense, she'd report to him. Or MacGregor and Jack together.

On Macgregor, I was using PJ's Hozgura, where he mentioned Ben was 2nd Earth Fleet Admiral, so I went with that, I guess he would be reporting to Ikagura as well. Yet junior to Sam, so he'd be rear Admiral????
          Well, Ben would still be subordinate to Sam, and he couldn't take two 304's (which are a serious asset to the Earth Fleet) without the Sec. Interstellar Defense's approval even if Sam agreed. Jack wouldn't have an official say in that, though.

General Ikagura, as commander on Heliopolis, would be a ground officer, not a fleet officer: probably USGF. But he, McLelland (ISGC commander), and Sam would be in close contact as the senior officers in the sector.

Ikagura would probably be operating with Hebridian and Jaffa forces as well on Heliopolis, since it's not an Earth colony per se, but rather a neutral diplomatic center.

And Tom, we can build more Asgard beam nodes, etc.; they're just more likely to resemble the Beliskner's technology rather than the O'Neill's. (I.e., the beam nodes operate in a certain area, not omnidirectionally.) They would still be expensive, however, and civilian models would doubtless have numerous safety locks on them.
          Last edited by Lt. Col. Mcoy; 30 August 2010, 06:12 PM.
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            And Tom, we can build more Asgard beam nodes, etc.; they're just more likely to resemble the Beliskner's technology rather than the O'Neill's. (I.e., the beam nodes operate in a certain area, not omnidirectionally.) They would still be expensive, however, and civilian models would doubtless have numerous safety locks on them.
            Don't they already come with numerous safety locks that it took Asgard a while to remove?
            My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

D'oh. My bad, well Dave's as well. Too many MacGregors, though I did mention Ben was as bad as his old man. I'll PM Dave and see if he wants me to re-write that chapter for him using your input. Oh and I read back Ikagura is a Admiral, but his rank doesn't matter I guess. And I was assuming the Britannia and Chicago were 340's, hence only having a half squadron of 401's.

Right, in perspective. Sam would report to Macgregor snr and Jack both perhaps, maybe they are in the same building??? Ah right, got it, they are having lunch when Sam pops in *literallly* So too much emotion....where

Comment

You did well Weedle, and I'd be happy to beta for Dave if he would like me to.
                My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  Except that it takes literary, half an hour max, for an asteroid to be secured and towed to orbit the colony.

It makes more economic sense to use ships that we already have tan to spend more money to build these hyper-specialized asteroid tugs.
                  Even if they can do it, I still think the shouldn't. How do you think the military is going to feel about having its ships "digging" for stuff no matter how long it takes. Also if you built specialized ships your also helping the ship building industry grow and gain valuable experiance.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                    Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                    Even if they can do it, I still think the shouldn't. How do you think the military is going to feel about having its ships "digging" for stuff no matter how long it takes. Also if you built specialized ships your also helping the ship building industry grow and gain valuable experiance.
                    Military ships don't dig for anything Brady.
                    Like I said, they maybe have to take half an hour of of their very boring patrol duties, probably when they return for resupply, and they just tow the asteroid into orbit.

The beaming is handled by some civilian or quasi-civilian outfit and the extraction is done planetside.

Comment

i think it's a bad idea

Comment

I see no problem with it. Obviously this would have been going on before hostilities opened; Tom's not talking about taking ships during wartime and doing this.
                        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

nah it's more the implications and levels of uber for earth. especially things like costs, wrecking the already unstable economy and all.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            nah it's more the implications and levels of uber for earth. especially things like costs, wrecking the already unstable economy and all.
                            How exacly? care to explain alittle more?

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

does dirt cheap metals + unrivaled resource income + asgard technology ring a bell?

i'd like to limit asgard tech with our Neutronium mining capabilities. which isn't just canon (Neutronium is integral to ALL asgard tech), but IMO necessary. neutronium will always be the limiting factor for ubertech.

there quite frankly are 3 types of technology:

common: uses materials found on earth
                              uncommon: uses naquahdah and trinium
                              highly uncommon: uses neutronium.

(naturally mixed with common materials).

can also be represented as regular, advanced and highly advanced technology.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                does dirt cheap metals + unrivaled resource income + asgard technology ring a bell?

i'd like to limit asgard tech with our Neutronium mining capabilities. which isn't just canon (Neutronium is integral to ALL asgard tech), but IMO necessary. neutronium will always be the limiting factor for ubertech.

there quite frankly are 3 types of technology:

common: uses materials found on earth
                                uncommon: uses naquahdah and trinium
                                highly uncommon: uses neutronium.

(naturally mixed with common materials).

can also be represented as regular, advanced and highly advanced technology.
                                I'm talking about not using beaming nodes. Break an asteriod into smaller pieces, attach to ship and head to a colony.

Comment

Working...
                                X