No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killman, added a bunch of your tropes, but some don't fit, where do we find the Antidote or electric torture?

And mostly, we've justified medieval stasis.

edit: this isn't about SG, it's about the Fleet.

Comment

Ok can some-one explain to me what this Tv tropes thing is?

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
        Ok can some-one explain to me what this Tv tropes thing is?
        What is this about? This wiki is a catalog of the tricks of the trade for writing fiction. We dip into the cauldron of story, whistle up a hearty spoonful and splosh it in front of you to devour to your heart's content.
        Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.
        The wiki is called "TV Tropes" because TV is where we started. Over the course of a few years, our scope has crept out to include other media. Tropes transcend television. They exist in life. Since a lot of art, especially the popular arts, does its best to reflect life, tropes are likely to show up everywhere.
        We are not Wikipedia. We're a buttload more informal. We encourage breezy language and original thought. There Is No Such Thing As Notability, and no citations are needed. If your entry cannot gather any evidence by the Wiki Magic, it will just wither and die. Until then, though, it will be available through the Main Tropes Index.
        Link.

Comment

Killman, added a bunch of your tropes, but some don't fit, where do we find the Antidote or electric torture?

And mostly, we've justified medieval stasis.

edit: this isn't about SG, it's about the Fleet.
          Antidote was the Prior, although that Nox carrying the plague would fit too.

electric torture is mostly done with the Pain Sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            That helps, thank-you!

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              Antidote was the Prior, although that Nox carrying the plague would fit too.

electric torture is mostly done with the Pain Sticks.
              Problem is those are from the show, not the fleet.

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
              That helps, thank-you!
              Welcome.

Comment

canon within the fleet

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  canon within the fleet
                  But doesn't directly feature in any of our stories. You don't see all the SG-1 tropes in the SGU article.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                    I see, but he speaks truth though, And I did plan for the planets in the system to be three things, a gas giant, a barren rockworld, and a terran like planet. Though they could be moons in orbit of the gas giant (about half the size of Jupiter I'd think)
                    A decent size, but keep in mind that even a small gas giant still emits a fair bit of radiation. Either an unnaturally thick ring, or some kind of shield would need to protect the planet. As a positive, most of the heat needed for the planet could come from that radiation.

If you do decide to go with the ancient device idea, the colony could have originally been founded by a corporation for research of the ancient outpost or colony. That would give it a civilian origin allowing you more leeway in the social structure. It could have originally been a military base and staging area as you desire, but later developments increased the power of the civilian administration.
                    My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

The posts completely lost me

I copied this as is from the OSTD, it's a post I made earlier. It looks like a nice design for a freighter and I've found the sketchup model and the artist, he doesn't need it and said that we could use it if we wish.

Spoiler:
                      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

That could easily be a civilian ship. Maybe the Colson Industries Mark I Freighter?

Just needs a little re-texturing.
                        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Sounds good, I have the SU model if anyone wants to have a go at it

Comment

I'll take a look.
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Ok Mcoy, I'll send it to you email

Comment

ok i just had this idea.

the colonies can never get millions of inhabitants via the gate. earth's gate would be used 24/7 and even then it won't transport enough.

so my idea is simple:

Trans Con.

a division started by Tech Con, HQ located on earth, tasked with transporting people offworld. people can buy tickets, still pricey but you won't need hundreds of thousands of dollars. cost is not per person but rather by weight. this also motivates people to buy colony-built stuff BTW.

Trans Con mainly employs Earthlings, and has contracts with earth companies, to maintain their craft. additionally Ring technology has been installed on the Trans Con spaceport and on the transport ships. this means people easily embark and disembark.

Trans Con however only transports to the colonies and vice-versa (on the way back, they transport mostly cargo, not humans), not to planets other than those (mainly because of costs).

Trans Con has currently placed an order for several larger earth-built transports

Comment

Working...
                                X