No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the british colony is IMO fine. care to explain the name?

tom, i think that many people would be disturbed by the galaran memory tech. at best i see a basic download all F-302 pilots recieve which more or less learns the trainees how to fly.

*grimaces* I foresee a lot of complications, for one, he hasn't got any recognized credentials, seeing as none of the schools he went to exist,

i was thinking about that. there should be universities where people *only getting access as they're future UNEC engineers/scientists/teachers* can learn about hyperdrive technology, shields etc. the price of the knowledge being a 5 or 10 year contract

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      the british colony is IMO fine. care to explain the name?
      Glad to hear. When no-one talks i automatically imagine thinga are bad.

The name comes from Scorpius, the constilation Scoria is in. (Similiar naming tradtion to your own colony)

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

well i thought they were related but didn't really know

Comment

The colony was good.

Things may work a bit differently here than you're used to. See, if we're debating something, and someone posts something unobjectionable, it may not get recognized until the current debate stops. However, something bad will almost always be jumped on.

So if you don't get much feedback, that's probably good, since it means people see nothing to fix. Note that only a couple people commented on Tom's Tka-tko-tka and my Shrin'yar. We assume that's because they're okay. If you still want feedback though, just bump it (like you did).
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Tom, degrees, phds and basic and fighter training skills won't be that different between two universes.

Comment

Well, if people are okay with Carter as OCEF, anyone have suggestions for an OC to be the ISGC commander?

On another note, both of the current colonies are under the blanket of the Earth fleet. Could the next people to submit colonies make them further away, so the other sector fleets actually have something to protect?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                tom, i think that many people would be disturbed by the galaran memory tech. at best i see a basic download all F-302 pilots recieve which more or less learns the trainees how to fly.
                Precisely, it would let us skip over most of the classroom instruction. And it would let us give trainees a better idea of what the real thing feels like. For example, ejection simulations, high gee maneuvers, all could be copied from experienced pilots to give the new people a better idea of what to expect.
                But that's just long term memory, pilots still have to develop the muscle memory and reactions for flying.
                It would still be great for reducing training time for every branch of the military. And then later, academia, and later still, video games.

Comment

So... considering training and the like, should I set up a group or two for that? for example Doji Combat school, or the software developers?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I think the government would handle training combat personnel, they might lend out their machines to help the technicians and workers for shipbuilding to get a head start, but I doubt they'l let the tech fall into civilian hands.

PS. This memory tech, I keep thinking up new things every day for it, I'm sure we have Ayana on ice somewhere, so if your say some shady intelligence service, or corporate entity, you could in theory clone yourself an army of super-intelligent super-powered ancient bodies and fill them up with a pre-existing mind state.
                    Subversion Corps call dibs!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                      I think the government would handle training combat personnel, they might lend out their machines to help the technicians and workers for shipbuilding to get a head start, but I doubt they'l let the tech fall into civilian hands.

PS. This memory tech, I keep thinking up new things every day for it, I'm sure we have Ayana on ice somewhere, so if your say some shady intelligence service, or corporate entity, you could in theory clone yourself an army of super-intelligent super-powered ancient bodies and fill them up with a pre-existing mind state.
                      Subversion Corps call dibs!
                      And here I have been confused, the Doji training camps and such aren't actually civilian owned, their more or less miltary owned powergroups similar (in a way) to the IOA, sure the Doji and Daodji groups are owned by actual families, but those families have strong military backgrounds, and to not forget their "proper connections"

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I'd just like to say no to the Ayana idea, Tom. That's going into territory we don't want to return to.

And I also agree that a lot of people would probably object to the Galaran Memory-Altering tech. For people who were okay with it we could do it, I suppose, but I think a majority of people would prefer the old-fashioned way, and we shouldn't force them out.
                        sigpic

Comment

Precisely, it would let us skip over most of the classroom instruction. And it would let us give trainees a better idea of what the real thing feels like. For example, ejection simulations, high gee maneuvers, all could be copied from experienced pilots to give the new people a better idea of what to expect.
                          But that's just long term memory, pilots still have to develop the muscle memory and reactions for flying.
                          It would still be great for reducing training time for every branch of the military. And then later, academia, and later still, video games.

i do not believe a lot of people would want to let specific memories be copied.

analogy:

currently i'm learning how to drive a car. there's a practical and a theoretical aspect, plus that everyone's telling me you don't really learn to drive untill you're in that thing alone.

what i'm suggesting is the equivalent of recieving a download, stepping in a car and knowing how to drive. essentially, you've learned the basic (what button does what etc), and the theoretical aspect. what remains is getting some experience and then you got your driver's license.

same with piloting: a few minutes for the download, then the person steps into the fighter and just flies away, knowing how it all works. person doesn't have a bit of experience, but it would be comparable to being a natural at flying. then more time can be spent on mastering combat, tactics and just getting experience.

again i doubt people would want to give up specific memories, the process of extracting the knowhow of flying will most likely be closely monitored by the person himself, plus his lawyers and some witnesses.

i think the Gaming Chairs (SG1 "avatar") will be much more important. essentially you can have the equivalent of that Star Trek Test (the one where you loose no matter what).

aside from basic, super-real flight simulators, there could be a stage where we repeat Teal'cs little trick: the person goes up against his own expectations, beliefs and thoughts. the idea is to see how the person reacts, when faced with imminent defeat but also when faced with incredibly intelligent opponents. considering most people they're dealing with will be vastly inferior tacticians, it's always better to raise the bar a bit higher.

i would imagine a 4-week or so non-stop simulation, to make the person "forget" he's in a simulation so the whole "it's not real anyway" thing doesn't really apply. the person is essentially caught offguard with respect to the fact that he's in a simulation, and his reactions would more closely match real life situations.

Comment

Maybe we could even trick then into thinking it's not simulated, like with Elliot's team in Proving Ground, only virtual.
                            sigpic

Comment

yes. that's what i meant with the 4-week simulation.

but it could just be a matter of hooking the guy up to the chair, simulating a simulation and then simulating him leaving the simulation

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                                The colony was good.

Things may work a bit differently here than you're used to. See, if we're debating something, and someone posts something unobjectionable, it may not get recognized until the current debate stops. However, something bad will almost always be jumped on.

So if you don't get much feedback, that's probably good, since it means people see nothing to fix. Note that only a couple people commented on Tom's Tka-tko-tka and my Shrin'yar. We assume that's because they're okay. If you still want feedback though, just bump it (like you did).
                                Glad to hear it . Worked quite hard on it. Its the perfect target for a LA attack. It is of vital importance to Earth (given the 3 shipyards) but due to the ignorace of its local leaders It isn't as well defended as it should be.

Also i don't think everyone would have a problem with memory technology. People like pilots or soldiers would jump at the chance to use it. Gaining vital experiance without risking your life

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Working...
                                X