No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Killman, I've always been the "science advisor" for the fleet, because of what I've done in my degree. Fugiman has been involved for a long time as well. We do need to balance realism and with enjoyability. I think it's important that everyone who wants a say gets a say and if you want something in the fleet like the shield on fighters thing, then you need to back it up with a realistic way of doing it (cost, weight etc). How long do we have left on the vote?

Comment

i believe the reason for lenghtening was because some people can't log in for the weekend. i'd advice vote till monday 24:00

Comment

Hey guys I'm glad we vented this and I'm sorry if it felt like I was attacking anyone but now that we have said all this I feel like I'm still not going to enter much more tech stuff but I'm fine with helping in other areas and once again sorry for my reaction its just I don't want this to die like 3.0 because the science people would just lay waste to anyone who had a creative idea but didn't make perfect sense

IMO 2.0 was the best because we had a great balance of both science and fiction
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I'll cast my votes for myself and for Bradly's 'Hawk'. I must say, an optional package to purchase a simplified commander capability for Immhotep's drones would be awesome.

Personally, I'd defend the shield option for fighters. With the equipment they are able to field, I believe their role has moved well on passed the WWII combat model. if you're by the means to protect the investment, I'd say take it. Also, I thought with nuclear thermal engines not needing oxidizer, they might be more popular for weight/economical reasons. No matter though, I guess their appearance in some limited numbers X fighter at some stage might be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            i know it's a damn annoying problem of mine. to some people even a normal or positive post of mine is filled with hatred.

i don't want to drive people off but mistakes in the past have been made, i've recognized them, i've debated over stargate in so many threads i can't remember anymore, about the mistakes and failures and weak points and what should be encouraged and what should be discouraged. and technobabble, excessive technobabble, unnecessary details and way too precise planning, combined with a sole focus on advanced technology as a means to win, that is what hurt the other fleet. endless complexities, canon only planned and discussed, precision to a point where it defeated the purpose.
            The thing I see, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, is that you're too fixated on being right. I myself suffer the same problem. But sometimes it doesn't matter if you're right; winning the argument can lose a friend. You have to be gentle. Let them decide that you're right; don't force it on them. Usually, people believe things for a reason. Find out why. Maybe they know something you don't. And never attribute to malice or arrogance that which can be adequately explained by ignorance. Present your evidence, and honestly consider theirs. And when it comes right down to it, agreeing to disagree is not a bad policy.

for the sake of the fleet, Davidt Tourniquet and Mckoy should be in command, as the people with experience and the people of command.
            Me? I don't know about that. I'm honored that you think so, but I don't want to be seen as a commander. A coordinator, maybe, since I keep the database (I've got one for this fleet, by the way), but I have no more pull than anyone else in the fleet. And others are far more skilled than I am in their respective fields.

David's been around longer than I have, anyway. So has Tom, for that matter. It would feel wrong for me to take any sort of command.

i have no idea about PJOZ's commanding abilities. by the way can we drop that whole "commander"/"admiral" act? i hate it. it takes a damn lot more for me to respect someone like that. like my enourmous respect for Immhotep, and my respect for Davidt and Mckoy. they really deserve it because they made something and they made it great, and they of all people know what they're talking about. though i do not always agree, i do repect them
            Thanks again.

But about PJOZ: he earned that rank in reality. It's not a plaything like the ones GateWorld gives; he earned it with blood and sweat. He's a good man, and I respect his opinion greatly.

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
            Thanks Killman, I've always been the "science advisor" for the fleet, because of what I've done in my degree. Fugiman has been involved for a long time as well. We do need to balance realism and with enjoyability. I think it's important that everyone who wants a say gets a say and if you want something in the fleet like the shield on fighters thing, then you need to back it up with a realistic way of doing it (cost, weight etc).
            I agree. And you definitely have the science adviser position, David. I don't think anyone can challenge your credentials for that.

i believe the reason for lenghtening was because some people can't log in for the weekend. i'd advice vote till monday 24:00
            PJOZ suggested Wednesday at 12:00, so I think we'll go with that unless it looks like everyone has finished.

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
            Hey guys I'm glad we vented this and I'm sorry if it felt like I was attacking anyone but now that we have said all this I feel like I'm still not going to enter much more tech stuff but I'm fine with helping in other areas and once again sorry for my reaction its just I don't want this to die like 3.0 because the science people would just lay waste to anyone who had a creative idea but didn't make perfect sense

Okay. I just don't want you to feel like you aren't important. People like you need to be here to stop the techies from running wild.

By the way, didn't you have a Jaffa thing you wanted to do?

Current count:

Davidtourniquet:___3
            Vortex

bradly08:_________2
            Hawk

thekillman:________2
            Aethon

immhotep:________0
            Medusa/Hydra

Princess Awinita:____1 (Startail), 0 (Windfire)
            Windfire or Startail

blackluster:________2
            Asagai

puddlejumperOZ:___2
            F-100, Mk. I and II

fugiman:__________2
            Merlin

Voters:
            Thekillman (2/2), Davidtourniquet (2/2), Bradly08 (1/2), Princess Awinita (2/2), Lt. Col. Mcoy (1/1), puddlejumperOZ (2/2), fugiman (2/2), blackluster (2/2)
            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

IMO we don't need more tech guys. we need story guys.

also i've done worse, so no offence taken and no need for apology.

Personally, I'd defend the shield option for fighters. With the equipment they are able to field, I believe their role has moved well on passed the WWII combat model. if you're by the means to protect the investment, I'd say take it. Also, I thought with nuclear thermal engines not needing oxidizer, they might be more popular for weight/economical reasons. No matter though, I guess their appearance in some limited numbers X fighter at some stage might be cool.
              nuclear engines do need propellant

The thing I see, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, is that you're too fixated on being right. I myself suffer the same problem. But sometimes it doesn't matter if you're right; winning the argument can lose a friend. You have to be gentle. Let them decide that you're right; don't force it on them. Usually, people believe things for a reason. Find out why. Maybe they know something you don't. And never attribute to malice or arrogance that which can be adequately explained by ignorance. Present your evidence, and honestly consider theirs. And when it comes right down to it, agreeing to disagree is not a bad policy.
              i like to be right, yes, well especially if i KNOW i'm right. but that has more to do with the fact that i don't post utterly ridiculous stuff to begin with. if i post an idea or opinion i've already thought about it and cleared out the crap.

Me? I don't know about that. I'm honored that you think so, but I don't want to be seen as a commander. A coordinator, maybe, since I keep the database (I've got one for this fleet, by the way), but I have no more pull than anyone else in the fleet. And others are far more skilled than I am in their respective fields.

David's been around longer than I have, anyway. So has Tom, for that matter. It would feel wrong for me to take any sort of command.
              Tom IMO needs chains. perhaps even stronger ones than the ones i need. he's a great guy with perhaps the most out of the box vision i've ever seen with incredible talent for technology and invention, but what he does is alienate Stargate and put technology FAR beyond complex. unnecessarily complex, advanced, and perhaps overpowered. he always manages to stretch technologies beyond what's normal through loopholes and errors and small windows made by the errors in stargate. we need to play by the major rules, not the faults thereof.

Thanks again.

But about PJOZ: he earned that rank in reality. It's not a plaything like the ones GateWorld gives; he earned it with blood and sweat. He's a good man, and I respect his opinion greatly.
              good. it's just that i'm not that easily swayed (but you might've noticed that)

PJOZ suggested Wednesday at 12:00, so I think we'll go with that unless it looks like everyone has finished.
              couldn't remember the exact date...

By the way, didn't you have a Jaffa thing you wanted to do?
              i believe he wanted the Jaffa Planet Alliance. like i said, it was just a brain spin of mine and i have no intent on explaining it further and i tossed it over to him. well if i remember correctly.

immhotep:________0
              Medusa/Hydra
              i feel bad for Tep. but i think he's more of an advisor guy. kinda like the O'neill of the fleets. source of incredible awesome ideas, although i admit that 3.0 was a bit jumping the shark. and i admit that I did it too. which is why i'm so careful about this.

Comment

So I was wondering how do you think we are going to unveil all of the knowledge that we got from the stargate program to the public
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Hi guys, well I finally made it to Germany. Been here a week now and it's so different to Japan. Lot's and lot's of trees, pine trees. Nice town and all the folks say hi

and when they realise I'm an Aussie, tell me our team did well even though they beat us 4 nil like they did to the Argies

Anyway I read all though and very interesting debate going on. I won't add much except to say that as for shielding on the fighters, though impractical at first glance,

and without too much wieght penalties, you could try different armour composites and perhaps a smaller naquada generator to at least give a limited shield capability.

And my one votes worth, I'll vote for PJOZ's fighters, I think they are worthy of another look over and maybe elements of all your ships could be added to make

something good even better.

Killman, on PJ. I'm Air Force but I know the guy through his work with us and helping veterans over here, if he corrects you on technical issues, I'd listen to him, he

has a lot of service years under him including flight time on A4's and exchange with the USN.

Thanks to Commander PJOZ for the siggy

Comment

So I was wondering how do you think we are going to unveil all of the knowledge that we got from the stargate program to the public
                    99% will be kept secret. they reveal the public that we have a spaceship, put some pictures up the internet and keep specs a secret. i don't think there's gonna be that much details released, we're dealing with incredibly powerful technologies here.

i think only a few technologies will be sold to (probably only the biggest, rival companies)

-Intar technology. here on earth we've been dying for a proper non-lethal (popular term is less lethal) weapon for law enforcement and capture. i foresee the Intar being implemented as a side-arm, with three settingsain, where each bolt delivers a powerful jolt but not enough to stun or kill, short stun (target is out for a few minutes) and long stun (target is out for like half an hour if not longer)
                    all police forces will probably have this.

-Hyperdrive Technology. this is the very basic concept of a hyperdrive. all civillian ships WILL HAVE MILITARY onboard. although the civvies are in charge, the military is there to protect the crew but also protect everyone else from this ship.
                    i suggest colonies are within a few hundred to a few thousand lightyears, so a 5Ly/h hyperdrive is enough.
                    i suggest a hybrid fusion/fission reactor as a powersource. this means civvy ships are half reactor/fuel, half whatever they carry.

i have one more concern : the stargate.

what do we do with it? it allows INCREDIBLY cheap interplanetary travel. so, my question is, do we make it civillian, so only civillians use it and the military needs ships to haul stuff back and forth, do we make it industrial/ commercial (so we have goods transport) or do we make it military, and the civilians need to travel by ship.

i'd personally suggest the following:

-the stargate on earth, and the ones on the (main) colonies, are reprogrammed and set to become their own little network. this means that without further computational means, no outsider can dial in and no insider can dial out. the civvies can travel between colonies all they like. considering the size of the colonies and their age, expect many thousands of travellers. if not hundreds of thousands that go by (extremely cheap) stargate.

-a Stargate Hub is designed. i'd say placed in space but we might disagree here. contains two stargates: one for contact to the colonies and earth, one to the rest of the network. essentially this is where all incoming and outgoing traffic come together. this Hub is properly protected, features ample security and has hotels, shops, etc all included. the Stargate Plaza is large, nothing like the craped up SGC. plenty of room for plenty of people to come together to prepare for a gate travel.

-the military has their own offworld SGC, not on a colony, nor near the Hub. here, there are drydocks and plenty of tarmac for F-302's and F-100's.
                    our warships are serviced here. various Mark III shields protect everything from bombardment. again preferably in space, makes escape easier.

Comment

KM Re: Your ealrier post, personally I'd be glad if folks would just call me by name, I get enough of the other stuff in the real world, I like to relax here and not be on my guard all the time. So it's just PJ or Ray, that'll be fine. And I am inclined to agree to your last statement regarding the offworld SGC.
                      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

i always abrevviate. for you it's PJOZ. Davidt, Fugi, S09, Tep, etc etc etc.

Comment

So long as I don't get called etc, etc it's all good
                          My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                          sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

good

Comment

why is it so damn silent? everyone got a hangover or something?

Comment

why is it so damn silent? everyone got a hangover or something?
                                Emm yes

ATM im going over my specs again and improving things, Im well awear that its too late to change the specs for the compition, but I still want to improve things some of the problems with my design.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Working...
                                X