This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contains Spoilers for other Season 8 episodes as well as "Affinity"
    Gategrrl said "with the gate lacking as a genuine aspect of the storyline", that is exactly the point - S7 was, IMO, lacking in the Gate aspect, and from the spoilers for the eps so far in S8 it looks to be going in the same general direction (I have been trying, and will try to continue, to hold out hope for the remaining 12 episodes but we now have spoilers for 8 of the 20 eps and except for New Order 1 and 2 and Icon most sound earth based and, at least IMO, several just sound bad, especially "Covenant" and "Affinity", and IMO, "Avatar" doesn't sound to great to me either.) Yes, maybe the Gate will appear for a scene or two in some of the other eps but the general storylines seem to be focused away from the Gate and/or off-world adventure ("Zero Hour" seems SGC focused with Jack and his new aide awaiting the Prez's visit and the Amra delegates on earth but at least SGs 1 and 3 get off-world adventure with BAAL. Maybe some of Tealc's "Avatar" VR scenes will involve the Gate but it seems from the description it will be Anubis' super-soldiers AT the SGC which, as many have said, were not all that "super" they were just a dud/joke in the end.).
    In addition, we have yet to hear anything about the episodes that R. Picardo, R. Cox and D. DeLuise are to be in which, if they hold true to form, will be heavily earth based, and for Picardo and Cox, political, and we have also been told that in order to accomodate RDA's schedule Jack will be on earth at the SGC more, etc., etc., etc., - so it sounds like earth based stories could be a large part of the 12 remaining eps as well. IMO this adds up to boring - especially the political stuff - it's not "The West Wing" and the personal lives stuff.
    IMO, they do seem to be changing the tenor of the show - I started watching a show that had interesting and different adventures off-world and team oriented epsiodes whether they be off-world or focused on earth with the Gate being involved to a degree but at least the team was together, or if separated, working towards the same goal; that is what the show was and, IMO, is supposed to be about - not their personal and love lives - sorry I really don't care about that aspect - this is a sci-fi, off-world adventure series (or was), not "As The World Turns". Let them have their personal and love lives just don't waste screen time on it (my opinion).
    If it's the budget woes resulting from the US dollar to Canadian dollar exchange rate than I say, as I said in a post on the old forum, stop spending money on semi-big name guest stars of the week (or on new "recurring" characters such as this Colson guy from "Covenant") to focus on and use the extra dough to focus on the team (the 4 of them and, when RDA is not available, the 3 of them) - IMO, there do not need to be a lot of huge, expensive explosions or CGI or a lot of name guest stars, so they do not have to expend huge portions of the budget on those items. (I wonder how much a guest star like Devane, Picardo, Blalock or Cox gets in comparison to someone who may not be as well known or have the same kind of resume.) I would like to think that they are still capable of writing off-world adventures for SG1 and/or Gate focused stories and/or team-focused earth stories that may or may not involve the Gate to a large degree that would not cost lots of $$$.
    I say this because we are told many times over by TPTB that the things that raise the costs of the episodes are the huge special effects scenes and the intricate and detailed CGI. They also say location shooting costs extra from the budgets so I say have a few scenes of off-world or location stuff and then focus on the team at the SGC or on earth (e.g Crystal Skull, Foothld, Show and Tell, Matter of Time, 48 Hours, Message In A Bottle, Urgo, Legacy, etc.)
    I readily admit that I don't know how much these eps cost to make in comparison but factoring in what TPTB say about what increases the costs of the eps, and using logic and common sense, it seems to me that eps such as these may not cost as much as say a Heroes or a Lost City (special effects and guest stars), Red Sky, (village set, lots of extras to play the village people, and CGI), Full Circle (building and blowing up the pyramid and lots of extras to play the Abydonians). I am not saying anything about whether they were good or bad epsiodes - they are ones that came to mind as expamles of what TPTB can put together using minimal explosions, minimal to no named guest stars or large groups of extras for the show and have the team be the focus, and IMO, they were pretty good stories with adventure.
    Anyway, I'm sure there will be people who will disagree with all of the above and people who will enjoy the personal lives eps and the earth based eps and the lack of the Stargate as a central part of the stroyline and I say have fun and I hope you enjoy S8.
    I am, as I said, just lamenting the slow demise of one of my favorite adventure shows which is/was(?) a show that really allowed me to disengage from real-life and escape everyday problems. With all of this real-life, personal stuff, love lives, mid-life crisis kind of thing and political stuff they are now bringing into the stories it's getting to be just like a lot of other shows which, IMO, are a dime-a-dozen these days, including Sitcoms (Friends, Frasier - both have their real-life crisis and their personal life issues just as SG1 now seems to have but at least Friends and Frasier are supposed to be sitcoms not Sci-Fi), Dramas (The West Wing) and Soaps (take your pick) .
    Sorry to vent so long - seems I always go on a tangent and end up saying way too much - oh well I'll try and cut down (at least I am not posting long-winded notes every day or anything).

Comment

I agree with absolutely everything you've said. I too want to see the off world adventures of our team all 4 when possible, but I'll take Teal'c, Daniel and Sam with out Jack. Actually I really won't miss all that much the Jack we've been getting for some time now.

I never turned in to watch the 'lovegate' and I won't watch those episodes a second time.

Comment

It's a Peter DeLuise episode. Of course it's going to rock. Has he failed us yet?

Comment

Originally posted by efumf
          It's a Peter DeLuise episode. Of course it's going to rock. Has he failed us yet?

Er...Evolution part 2?

I'd say he blew the ball up on that one.

Comment

Aside from the two not-so-good shippy scenes, I loved the episode. Burke was a little cliché, but funny too! And of course we had Dr. Lee and the immortal character, Daniel's Rock!

The only people who see PDL failing are those Unas-haters, damn you people!

Comment

Originally posted by efumf
              How about the abysmal Enemy Mine, for one?

J.
              "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                How about the abysmal Enemy Mine, for one?

J.
                Unas-hater!

Comment

Someone mentioned something about "budget concerns?"

I feel like I've read that somewhere, but I thought that the SciFi Channel was falling all over itself to keep SG-1 on. Does MGM make enough money off of the deal as well? I know my knowledge is limited when it comes to "The Biz," but I thought the show was popular enough for cable.

Comment

Originally posted by angsty_otaku
                    it sounds like an interesting storyline...but it's drawing further and further away from the main part of the show
                    Completely agree. Although I like it that they give the actors the opportunity to flesh the characters out more, it should be done in a subtler way, more like hints every now and then and not a whole ep on their personal lives with hardly any connection to the stuff they usually do. I'm not concerned that they'll turn it into a soap opera but it would be kind of weird if there were more "Chimera"-like episodes, nevertheless, just because they haven't really done it that way before.

The way they did it on "X-Files" was just perfect, in my opinion, it showed you a little of what the characters are like "after work" while still being devoted to the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                      I think this episode has really good potential. It will be interesting to see Teal'c on his own off base. And it will give CJ an opportunity to act. I also like seeing Sam in self-examination mode. Always interesting to see how her mind works. I for one am looking forward to this episode.
                      Just a side note:

CJ doesn't need to be given an opportunity to act. That man *makes* opportunities to act.
                      Am I right?
                      "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
                      "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
                      "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
                      --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Doesnt CJ act in all the episodes?? Or do you mean, 'break out' into like dramatics, haha...
                        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                        X