Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-S9 thread. For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hathor999
    Interesting 5 epsiodes about Vala are fine and will have no negative influence on the other story-arcs but 3 episodes with RDA would be for so many BB and Vala fans being so much hurting the show . That´s really interesting.
    I would prefer it if there would be some episodes for everybody.Live and let live... Some with the Vala for her fans and some with the complete original team (including Jack) for me (as long as RDA is willingly to do some episodes).
    Nobody can forcing him so I´m sure when he says yes he does it because he want´s it. Not because MGM is forcing him!

Let me put in what I wrote since you were replying to that.
    And, while it's possible that they'll write her episodes like they did Prometheus Unbound,
    Right there, I said straight out that it is possible that they'll write the episodes like they did Prometheus Unbound. I never said anything about the other story arcs. I never even said anything about the episodes being fine or that anyone has to like them. All I said was that having Vala in an episode doesn't mean that they're left with no other option than to write the episodes like they did Prometheus Unbound. They might which I've said, or they might not.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
      BTW, I find it amusing that a number of the anti-S/J shippers seem to be looking forward to season 9; after all, without Jack, we can't have Sam and Jack, right?
      Personally my looking forward to s9 is based on bigger things than Lack Of S/J. I looked forward to s8 without Lack Of S/J to tempt me.

Originally posted by Darquee
      A word of warning: the PTB are obviously trying to bring in the Farscape fans. And Farscape was very, very shippy.
      If your implication here is correct (and it may well be) then that would disappoint me; I've yet to see evidence that the current writers can 'do' ship that convinces me. I s'pose I'll just have to hope that it's possible...

But bear in mind that the Anti-S/J shippers are Anti-S/J shippers; that doesn't make us all Anti-All-Ship. Some of us are, many aren't
      Last edited by Madeleine; 09 January 2005, 05:55 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

...3 episodes with RDA would be for so many BB and Vala fans being so much hurting the show . That´s really interesting.
        Can I ask where you've found "so many BB and Vala fans" saying that three eps with RDA would be "hurting the show"? I've seen plenty of people say that they'd like RDA's involvement to end, but can't remember a single one of them identifying themselves as a BB fan or as a Vala fan. The arguments that I have seen being made for RDA to not be in it have all been totally unconnected with BB or Vala.

Sorry to be OT, but I'm not really keen on groups of fans being lumped together and having stuff attributed to them which isn't entirely accurate, relevant or fair, so I get a little wary when I see posts that may fall under that description.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          But bear in mind that the Anti-S/J shippers are Anti-S/J shippers; that doesn't make us all Anti-All-Ship. Some of us are, many aren't
          Yes, I don't quite understand the assumption that Anti-S/J shippers are necessarily against ship in general. I'm sure there are some that feel that way. However, I haven't met any. Most of the people I know who are Anti-S/J ship do ship (to varying degrees of intensity and investment) for other couples in other fandoms. I know I certainly do.

But this is the Anti-Season 9 thread, and though I'm mostly Pro-Season 9, I'll address my major concern here. The writing. I don't care if a show has the best premise, an absolutely amazing cast, and great publicity, if the writing isn't there the show is going to fail. I do believe these writers have it in them to knock it out of the park, I think they have in the past, but these past two years haven't exactly filled me with confidence. Time will tell, I suppose.

Comment

I am in wait and see mode for season 9. They have some talented actors to work with so it has the potential to be really good. But as others have said it all comes down to the writing.

But I'm afraid there will be the temptation to wink at Farscape a bit too much.

I am also nervous about the new kids on the block pushing the Stargate characters to the background.

As far as RDA goes, I wish him well and have a lot of respect for him putting his family first--but I won't miss Jack that much.

A couple of years ago I would have been sad, but the character has been "leaving" for a long time now. It's to the point that the Jack is really a supporting character in terms of overall screen time even though the actor is still considered the lead.

Honestly, I think that having to work around RDA's schedule and keep Jack up front has hampered the show in terms of story-telling quality and pacing.

I would enjoy seeing him back for a couple of guest shots, but I won't not tune in just because Jack's not there. I watched season 6 without Daniel (my favorite character); I can watch season 9 without Jack--if the writing is good enough.

So again, I'll wait and see.

Jace
            Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

I have not much interest in season 9.
              I understand that Richard Dean Anderson has enough after 8 years Stargate. But without him it´s not more Stargate SG 1.
              Maybe I would like it more if I would like the new actors. But I don´t do it.
              I have remembered now to have seen Farscape for some time (it was the show about the former prisoners on the living spaceship on the run for this Pinhead imitation, I mean the one from Hellraiser, without pins?). I have never seen a TV show that tried it so hard to be a cult show.
              Would they have actors I could like a little more I would still missing Jack but I would try it. But so I don´t care for season 9.
              With Jack (and Hammond and Sam for some time) leaving they should end the show. And maybe do a spin-off or use the money and make another Farscape season it´s that what they really want in my opinion.

Forgive me for being so negative but that is how I feel it.

Comment

why it wo,t be much fun (ll watch it anyway)

simple hammond and o,neill don,t play in it or just a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Jace021903
                  I am in wait and see mode for season 9. They have some talented actors to work with so it has the potential to be really good. But as others have said it all comes down to the writing.

But I'm afraid there will be the temptation to wink at Farscape a bit too much.

I am also nervous about the new kids on the block pushing the Stargate characters to the background.

As far as RDA goes, I wish him well and have a lot of respect for him putting his family first--but I won't miss Jack that much.

A couple of years ago I would have been sad, but the character has been "leaving" for a long time now. It's to the point that the Jack is really a supporting character in terms of overall screen time even though the actor is still considered the lead.

Honestly, I think that having to work around RDA's schedule and keep Jack up front has hampered the show in terms of story-telling quality and pacing.

I would enjoy seeing him back for a couple of guest shots, but I won't not tune in just because Jack's not there. I watched season 6 without Daniel (my favorite character); I can watch season 9 without Jack--if the writing is good enough.

So again, I'll wait and see.

Jace
                  I agree with all of this, Jace. I am trying to maintain a flexible attitude towards Season 9, and I like the idea of two new characters coming in under certain conditions as I think the show has become dreadfully stale and repetitive and could do with being shaken up a bit.

I too think that Jack has been missing for a long time now, and I won't be at all sorry to see what's left of him go. The fact that his departure necessarily kills any on-screen S/J ship is just a bonus for me. I've liked what I've seen of Vala's character so far in that I think it's got tremendous potential for further development, and I dont know anything about Browder's character so I can't really make any comment about that. I liked him in Farscape - when I watched it but like others, the manic craziness of the later seasons totally turned me off the show. I like my science fiction to be thoughtful, challenging, and to stir my emotions in good ways - and as far as I'm concerned making me want to heave by turning it into a soap opera is not a good way...

My opinion on the matter at present is that unless they do something to improve the quality of the writing and the consistency of the storytelling, and unless they start making better use of the assets they already have instead of depending on their shiny new ones, season 9 will be a disaster. I really hope it isn't but in the last couple of years the writers on this show have completely underwhelmed me with their lack of ability to take advantage of the potential of their own storylines. The production team HAVE become hidebound, and self-indulgent, and it's time that someone took them in hand and reminded them that they're making an expensive science fiction show for the pleasure of the viewing public, not a cool home movie for they themselves to giggle over.

Comment

Robert Cooper says very often "sort of". Seems to be one of his favourite phrases. I´m sure that she will not wearing an uniform (no chance for it when they can put her in black leather) but "sort of" joining still means IMO working with or for SG 1/SGC.

And the other part of the quote about the relationship between her and the other members of the team sounds really bad for me. Sounds for me if when 5 more episodes like "PU" are waiting in season 9...
                    Is it a wrong thing? I enjoyed "PU" very much (and it was my almost FIRST EVER episode of SG-1 and I watched it only because of Claudia ) and can hardly wait for the next Vala's meeting with Daniel

Comment

i reckon SG1 has jumped the shark. season 8 has been boring. there has really been only 1 team mission off world, and that was the best of the episodes so far. i speak of it's good to be king. hell, that stargate wasn't even seen in prometheus unbound. unless they can pull something spectacular outta their butts (at least 18 off world missions) S9 is gonna fail.

SG1 used to be about going around finding technology and occaisonally killing a system lord. now it's just become wormhole x-treme.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                        Is it a wrong thing? I enjoyed "PU" very much (and it was my almost FIRST EVER episode of SG-1 and I watched it only because of Claudia ) and can hardly wait for the next Vala's meeting with Daniel
                        I'm sorry, Kalli, I think you must be confusing this with the PRO season 9 thread. See, we're under absolutely no obligation to look forward to ANYTHING here. And if you're so gung-ho about everything (or at least the fact that Farscape is taking over) then you are more than welcome to post such thoughts on the PRO thread. But unless you have some doubts and/or trepidation about the upcoming season, I don't see why you're here.

Generally, it's very bad manners to go into a pro or anti thread and start gushing your opposing viewpoint. The reason why there ARE pro and anti threads is so that one thread doesn't have to put up with the sentiments of the other. Your posts here so far have all been very "S9 is going to be great, I can't wait!" Which is fine... in the PRO thread. But please allow us to have our place to complain.

Incidentally, all the cool stuff seems to happen when I'm asleep. A Season 9 folder and an Atlantis S2 folder. Sheesh...

Comment

Can someone explain what "jumped the shark" means?

BYE
                          "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on.....it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it jumping the shark.

So says
                            www.jumpingtheshark.com

They've got a whole list of shows and people vote on the moment they think their favorite show "jumped the shark"

The reference comes from a scene in one of the later seasons of "Happy Days' when Fonzie started becoming a superhero and jumped a shark on his motorcycle(?). Or on waterskies or something. A lot of fans say that's the moment when Happy Days jumped completely over to the ridiculous and it was all downhill from there.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                              It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on.....it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it jumping the shark.

So says
                              www.jumpingtheshark.com

They've got a whole list of shows and people vote on the moment they think their favorite show "jumped the shark"

The reference comes from a scene in one of the later seasons of "Happy Days' when Fonzie started becoming a superhero and jumped a shark on his motorcycle(?). Or on waterskies or something. A lot of fans say that's the moment when Happy Days jumped completely over to the ridiculous and it was all downhill from there.

that was really interesting Kes, thanks for showing it. Reminded me, most painfully, of Northern Exposure. boy I loved that programme...

but since Stargate is considered not to have jumped, I'm still not sure given the lessons you could learn from the rest of the site, that season 9 is going to be a good idea...

Comment

I agree with this thread. SG-1's storylines are going down the toilet. HEY PRODUCERS!!! STOP THIS SHOW BEFORE YOU DESTROY IT'S LEGACY!!!!!!!!
                                Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                                - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                                - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                                Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                                Mayboune: *shrugs*
                                - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X