This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
    The Nox won't have to colonize new planets to meet the resource demands of their population. The Nox won't need sophisticated communication technology if they don't occupy a large sector of space.
    To be fair, we only saw a small area of their planet, and we only saw what they allowed us to see. The team could have been in a huge village and never would have known it. The assertion that they don't occupy other planets is also speculative. In truth, we know almost nothing about their culture.

Originally posted by Col.Ads View Post
    Granted its very powerful in itself but the question was who was the more powerful technology, so your looking at sheilds and weapons above all else.
    To reiterate, the Nox clearly do not believe in weapons and have no visible technology. If that's all this thread is about, then yes, the Asgard have more powerful technology because they can blow things up. It wouldn't surprise me, though, to learn that the Nox are the most powerful race we've encountered. They simply seem to want nothing to do with anyone other than the Ancients, Asgard, Furlings and Tollan.
    sigpic

Comment

It's not easy to compare the Nox to other races. For one, their population is probably really low compared to other races. They're isolationist so they probably don't have many planets and the planet they do have seems very sparsely populated. The Asgard are more comparable to humans, their numbers might have even been close to human population.

Just look at that thing, there could be hundreds of millions of Asgard in that city alone.
      The Nox civilization might be that size. They just never showed us it! And the Asgard might have a tech advantage but we thought that our wapons would impress them until they made them disappear!

Comment

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
        The Nox civilization might be that size. They just never showed us it! And the Asgard might have a tech advantage but we thought that our wapons would impress them until they made them disappear!
        It would depend on how the Nox live. If the majority of them lived like the four we've seen then the planet can't really sustain the kinds of numbers that could fit in that Asgard metropolis.

Comment

i miss the nox .

Comment

Originally posted by Kickoutwoolsey View Post
            i miss the nox .
            Me too! I thought they were definately interesting characters. However I guess TPTB decided that they could only have so many more powerful races of beings that thought humans were mere kidlets the scheme of things, and stuck with the Asguard.
            Lets just say Radek Zelenka can be my Mad Scientist any day!
            sigpic
            Thanks to Humanityspotential for the awesome Zelenka Siggie!

Comment

Evolution to the extent of making things invisible and bring back the dead, is not the same as technology
              I would rather have it naturally than by tech. As tech can always get shut down..

Comment

It would depend on how the Nox live. If the majority of them lived like the four we've seen then the planet can't really sustain the kinds of numbers that could fit in that Asgard metropolis.
                But the four we seen may be like teachers for the youngest Nox(can't remeber his name). So they may all go through that sort of ritual until they understand there power/potential. For all we know, after that they may get integrated into a much larger society.

Comment

this is proven false in the nox episode.

the huge city that was "invisible" would have housed a lot more than a couple hundred people. there would have been thousands of them at least. and who is to say thats the only such city on their planet.

Comment

Some food for thought..

First of all were the Nox willing to share or help any of the other races in the alliance.. I mean other than being a conversation buddy? I just dont see how they would be helpful in defending or aiding anyone since they dont participate in fighting or wars..

Secondly, if they werent willing to help or aid or any of the above.. why were they in the alliance in the first place? I mean an alliance concept means you watch out for each other, help each other.. if they arent willing to go and aid when another of the races are being killed then what use are they to anyone in an alliance aspect?

Just curious..
                    sigpic
                    I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                    "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                    Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

It shows that the Nox found a way to live in their home and still not fight the enemies of peace. Had the Ancients discovered their "way" they would not have had to leave. And the Asgard would not have had to resort to cloning with its genetic fading effect. The Nox are superior to both other races, in my opinion. Maybe to all other races.

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by airrick View Post
                        Some food for thought..

First of all were the Nox willing to share or help any of the other races in the alliance.. I mean other than being a conversation buddy? I just dont see how they would be helpful in defending or aiding anyone since they dont participate in fighting or wars..

Secondly, if they werent willing to help or aid or any of the above.. why were they in the alliance in the first place? I mean an alliance concept means you watch out for each other, help each other.. if they arent willing to go and aid when another of the races are being killed then what use are they to anyone in an alliance aspect?

Just curious..

There are other ways to help. We've seen that the Nox took in the Tollin and helped them to reach their new world. They revived both SG-1 and the Jaffa. Lya helped to free Skaara from Klorel and shielded the "big honkin' space gun" from the Goa'uld. They subtly tried to teach SG-1 of their ways.

The other three races could have learned much from the Nox. One has to imagine that there was more going on during the time of the alliance than conflict. Moreover, the Nox would likely have been less reluctant to share their culture and wisdom with races they didn't consider too "young".

I disagree with the idea that the only thing to be gained from this sort of alliance is military assistance: the Nox have proven that a species can prosper while living in a pacifistic fashion.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Discotrash View Post
                          There are other ways to help. We've seen that the Nox took in the Tollin and helped them to reach their new world. They revived both SG-1 and the Jaffa. Lya helped to free Skaara from Klorel and shielded the "big honkin' space gun" from the Goa'uld. They subtly tried to teach SG-1 of their ways.

The other three races could have learned much from the Nox. One has to imagine that there was more going on during the time of the alliance than conflict. Moreover, the Nox would likely have been less reluctant to share their culture and wisdom with races they didn't consider too "young".

I disagree with the idea that the only thing to be gained from this sort of alliance is military assistance: the Nox have proven that a species can prosper while living in a pacifistic fashion.
                          An Alliance is not just for military gain, it can be for friendship and to better ones selves

Comment

Originally posted by Discotrash View Post

I can understand what youre saying, however the Asgard went into extinction and TPTB never gave us any indication that the Nox did anything to try and help.. even if they didnt help thru military actions with the battles with the replicators their healing techniques may have been of assistance.. but it seems as of recently they have no desire to do anything outside of helping themselves.. they were basically forgotten by TPTB if you ask me
                            sigpic
                            I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                            "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                            Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Originally posted by airrick View Post
                              I can understand what youre saying, however the Asgard went into extinction and TPTB never gave us any indication that the Nox did anything to try and help.. even if they didnt help thru military actions with the battles with the replicators their healing techniques may have been of assistance.. but it seems as of recently they have no desire to do anything outside of helping themselves.. they were basically forgotten by TPTB if you ask me
                              Yes, and I'm glad that TPTB have done so little with the Nox. I think, for example, that we've seen a little bit too much of the non-Ascended Ancients on Atlantis. Part of what makes the Nox so fascinating to me is that they've chosen to keep so much from us.

As for their recent interactions with other races, we have no idea with whom the Nox have had dealings—other than the Tollan. It's been shown that their healing abilities are limited: they had to rush to revive Nafrayu, so ostensibly they can only bring a person back to life shortly after death. I don't know see how this ability would have been of any use to the Asgard during their conflict with the Replicators.

For the reasons I pointed out in my last post, I don't think one could argue that the Nox are only out to help themselves. I gave several examples of actions they've taken to aid other races. Again, I fail to see how they can be faulted for not assisting anyone militarily; even putting their non-aggressive beliefs aside, we don't know if this sort of help is within their means. The Nox clearly abhor weapons and violence. When considering the actions of the Nox, we must take into account a way of thinking that is very much at odds with that of the SGC—and likely even the Asgard. The Nox have shown themselves to be a benevolent race, one that I feel SG-1 is fortunate to have encountered.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
                                this is proven false in the nox episode.

the huge city that was "invisible" would have housed a lot more than a couple hundred people. there would have been thousands of them at least. and who is to say thats the only such city on their planet.
                                But their floating city would still only hold a fraction of the population of the Asgard metropolis.

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
                                It shows that the Nox found a way to live in their home and still not fight the enemies of peace. Had the Ancients discovered their "way" they would not have had to leave. And the Asgard would not have had to resort to cloning with its genetic fading effect. The Nox are superior to both other races, in my opinion. Maybe to all other races.

~Dave
                                If the Ancients had followed the way of the Nox, the Ori would have wiped them out. If the Asgard had followed the way of the Nox, the Goa'uld would have obliterated earth and the Replicators would be a plague upon the entire universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X