Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, it's NOT USS Odissey, it's USAF Odissey. Same goes for all the other battlecruisers. They belong to the AIRFORCE, not the navy. As for copyright infringement, others on this topic made it clear that it isn't the case, i won't bother with examples since there are already quite a bunch of those...

Comment

Originally posted by stargate_tech View Post
      Are those the designations? Like F-302, F=Fighter? If so, is there a designation for Battleships?
      BC= Battle Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by pilot_f302 View Post
        Indeed. I have proof, scene from "Off the Grid".
        And is playing a PSP...
        That is NOT a PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Opener View Post
          Look, why does it really matter? The ship is cool and it kicks ass. What more do you want?
          For you to read the OP?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisX View Post
            Guys, it's NOT USS Odissey, it's USAF Odissey. Same goes for all the other battlecruisers. They belong to the AIRFORCE, not the navy.
            Yes it is. Didn't look at the picture two posts above yours, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisX View Post
              Guys, it's NOT USS Odissey, it's USAF Odissey. Same goes for all the other battlecruisers. They belong to the AIRFORCE, not the navy. As for copyright infringement, others on this topic made it clear that it isn't the case, i won't bother with examples since there are already quite a bunch of those...
              Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis disagrees with you..
              watch the show and you will see that the Ships them self have USS designation and USAF on the outside..
              and alot could have changed since the 60's when the USAF last had a fleet of ships (they all had the prefix USAFS)

Comment

Originally posted by Kebab Gud View Post
                ...and alot could have changed since the 60's when the USAF last had a fleet of ships (they all had the prefix USAFS)
                Oh cool. I didn't know the Air Force had ships. They still have some. The "Tyndall Navy" are three drone ships (not exactly sure what that means) that recover wreckage from aerial target test. And they're based in Florida.

Here's the wiki entry for United States Air Force ships.
                "What's your situation?"
                "I'm hiding. What's yours?"

Comment

I don't think you can copyright a name that has been used for such a long time... such as ship names... just original names...

Using Daedalus, Odyssey, etc would just get dismissed from a court i would of thought...

Now if someone started to used the name Death Star, Goa'uld, Photon Torpedo, etc... then that would probably be different... they would probably be copyrighted...

Then again... i'm just guessing... don't understand copyright law... at all

Comment

Another thing..
                    the prefix "USS" is not exclusive to the US Navy

the Prefix "USS" is used on all US Battleships..

auxiliary support vessels in the US Navy have the Prefix USNS, USAFS for the Airforce (none now), and USAS for the US Army..
                    but only the Navy has Warships and there for only the Navy has so far used "USS"..
                    But in Stargate ... the Space ships are USAF, but they can still use USS as they are warships

Comment

Hello everyone.
                      I have a question about the copyright details about the name, the USS Odyssey. I need to know if it would be copyright infringement, if someone were to use the same name, the USS Odyssey.
                      In the Star Trek franchise, there is a USS Odyssey. So, if using the name, USS Odyssey is copyright infringement for Stargate, than I believe Stargate has infringed on copyright laws, using the name in the first place. I just need to know.
                      If anyone knows the e-mail address of any of the writers I could talk to about this subject, I'd appreciate it.
                      The reason I ask about this topic, is that I'm a screenwriter, and I need to know if I used the name, USS Odyssey, if I would be creating copyright infringement, and could be sued for money, or any legal tender. Thank you all.
                      isn't it the USAF Odyssey anyway?
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes the Battle cruisers have USAF on them because they are a product of the Airforce, however they also have the designation of USS. Just like any Navy ship has USNAVY on it or USN it also has the desigation of USS which stands for United States SHip.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                          isn't it the USAF Odyssey anyway?
                          No

USS...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. Let's clear up the dilemma we apparently have now.
                            The ships are USS (United States Ships), because they belong to the US. They have the USAF on them, because the Stargate Program is a division of the USAF itself.
                            The USAF in real life, does have aircraft carriers and so forth, and they all have the USS designation.
                            Dilemma solved.
                            All of My Written Works
                            Books I'm Reading:
                            The Andromeda Strain (Michael Crichton)
                            2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. Let's clear up the dilemma we apparently have now.
                              The ships are USS (United States Ships), because they belong to the US. They have the USAF on them, because the Stargate Program is a division of the USAF itself.
                              The USAF in real life, does have aircraft carriers and so forth, and they all have the USS designation.
                              Dilemma solved.
                              the USAF does NOT have Aircraft carriers.. the Navy does..
                              Right now.. all the USAF has are a few tugs..
                              (Fun fact.. the US navy has almost as many fighter jets as the USAF )

Comment

Dilemma solved.
                                You're absolutely right about everything... except for one thing. The Air Force does not have any carriers or warships in the real world; they strictly belong to the Navy. Other than that though, you're absolutely right.

Comment

Working...
                                X