No announcement yet.

Don S. Davis: 1942-2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me awhile to find this thread. I just want to say I missed him too. I loved him on Stargate and was so sad when he left the show.

My heart goes out to all his friends and family.
    sigpic

Comment

I was very sad to hear of Don S. Davis' passing. He was a gifted and talented actor and was amazing as General Hammond. He will be missed by many.

Comment

I've been gone a while due to a bad situation in my life, and it seems I picked a sad time to return. Don was an excelent actor whether it was in Stargate or one of the many random character spots in movies like Con Air. He nailed the part of General Hammond and made him a likeable yet stern commander. You will be missed Don RIP.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Hi All,

Just a post to echo all the thoughts here. Mr Davis was an inspiration during his SG1 years, he breathed life into Hammond, guiding the team through good times and bad. He will be sorely missed. I watched COTG (Pilot) and "The Road Not Taken" (S 10) back to back last night as a personal tribute to him, and I gotta say, it was as if he had been there all the time!
          Aside from the American Heart Foundation, is there a Book Of Condolence? an e-book or real that we can sign? Perhaps GW might think about this?

Take care all

S'n'T
          "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
          Sara O' Neill's father;
          COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

RIP Don

I loved the tribute on the main page as well.
            Cream Cheese, the people's cheese.

Comment

I just watched the tribute video posted on the GateWorld home page. Well done. An excellent video for an excellent man.

Slam

Parsippany NJ Twilight Creation 2013** ~~~ NYCC 2010/11/12** ~~~ Wizard World New York City Experience 2013* ~~~ Los Angles CA Xena Creation 2014? ~~~ Los Angles CA Grand Slam Creation 2014? ~~~ Cherry Hill NJ Star Trek Creation 2012/ 13** ~~~ Philadelphia PA Wizard World 2009/11/12/13** ~~~ Las Vegas NV Star Trek Creation 2014? ~~~ Orlando FL Star Wars Celebration 2014? ~~~ Parsippany NJ Supernatural Creation 2012/13* ~~~ Parsippany NJ Vampire Diaries Creation 2013? ~~~ Chicago IL Stargate Creation 2009/12/ 13* ~~~ Dragon*Con 2011/12/13* ~~~
              (* planned) (** booked) (? maybe)
              Vancouver BC Stargate Creation 2008/09/10/12 ~~~ Parsippany NJ Star Trek Creation 2009/11 ~~~ Los Angles CA TriCon Stargate/Farscape/Firefly Creation Con 2010 ~~~ New York NY Fangoria Creation 2009 ~~~ Cherry Hill NJ Supernatural Creation 2009 ~~~ Cherry Hill NJ Stargate Creation 2008 ~~~ Secaucus NJ Stargate Creation 2007 ~~~ Cherry Hill/Philadelphia/Valley Forge Star Trek 1977-1988

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                I've looked, and there doesn't seem to be.
                Just go ahead and make your donations. I doubt a memorial fund has been created in his name.

Gilder
                Gilder

You can contact me through my GW Forums profile (email preferred) or on Facebook.

www.chimaeracon.com

Comment

There is no memorial page for Don at this point, but we did pass along the suggestion to his rep. She will check with his family to see if it is something they would like to have.
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I had not heard this. I am tremendously saddened by this unexpected news.
                    This is turning out to be about the worst year ever as far as I am concerned. So many good people (relatives, friends and admired people both famous and not so famous) are passing on.

One quote from the Indian Jones movie I remember this year is that "we have reached a time when life has stopped giving and starts taking away". Then a quote from WKRP "Death is the logical and unavoidable conclusion to all things" and a quote from Buddhism "it is the fate of all that come to birth to grow old, get sick and die".

I don’t know why the quotes make me feel better. Maybe it’s a knowledge that "nothing is happening" when someone dies. We will all go to that same place sooner rather then later, so I share the quotes here.

Perhaps I will do for Don what my step mom did for my dad this Jan and have a celebration in his name. I will try not to be sad, throw in my SG-1 DVDs to remember the good times and have a meal ... desert first*.

*my dad always joked that a buffet line should start with deserts move to meats and cheeses and other good stuff and leave the rabbit food for the end. I think Don a celebration with lots of deserts as he was a very important ingredient to SG-1.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

He was my favorite commander. RIP, you will be mised. :

Comment

I was very sad to hear this news. Don Davis was a very talented actor and artist. I loved Hammond -- I couldn't have imagined anyone else but Don Davis playing this fabulous role. My prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends. Thanks to him for bringing us great joy all these years through his wonderful talent.

Comment

One quote from the Indian Jones movie I remember this year is that "we have reached a time when life has stopped giving and starts taking away".
                          Exactly what i thought of after i heard this....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

When I heard the news it was hard to accept. Hammond of Texas
                            is gone. He will be missed he was the heart of SGC. Landry is an OK CO but NO other General could fill Hammond shoes.

RIP sir.

I never had the honor of meeting Don at a convention but I sent a fan letter years ago and Don was so nice to send a very nice Photo and letter. He was
                            very kind and thoughful of the fans and I am so sad hes gone.

MY condolences to his wfe and his fellow actors and friends.

The main page tribute is very nice. Made me cry.

Comment

Maybe this is an odd way of thinking about this sad situation, but I think that it may help some of us to remember that though Don is gone, George Hammond will never really die. Speaking as someone who loves to read the SG-1 Fandemonium novels in which Hammond often plays an important role, and also as someone who dabbles in fanfiction writing, George can go on commanding the SGC in our imaginations for as long as we choose. Remembering George will help us to keep Don alive. I mean, who can read a line describing him and not be able to picture him as well as if he was on the TV in front of you? As fans of his for so long, that's just how well we knew him. As I read his last interview with the Official Stargate Magazine today, I could practically hear his warm jovial voice in my head.

In other words, until the writers say that George is gone and pay him tribute as they should - preferably with a service like what they did for Catherine Langford in Moebius but with the whole cast there so we can join the characters as they say goodbye - we can go on telling George's story right up through Continuum, and we can always add new stories to his memory and legacy by going back to the earlier seasons. I call on all my fellow fanfiction writers to remember Don by never letting Hammond disappear from the stories you write.

One of my favorite lines that Don ever delivered now comes to mind:

"It's always darkest before the dawn." (The Fourth Horseman)

Comment

wow i have not been here for a while so when i read that don s. davis passed away i was in shock. again wow these past few days have been days of grief for me, first was george carlin, then michael turner, and now don s. davis. man i feel depress but i will say that don was the best general on stargate, R.I.P.
                                "Daniel?"
                                "For crying out loud!!"
                                "Roddney?"
                                "now get your ass back to work and fix those damn engines!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X