No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, maybe we should have some set dimensions for what type of ship is what. It would make things easier.

Okay, the Daedalus is 450 meters long, while the Prometheus was about 200 meters long. The Daedalus is classified as a Deep Space Carrier, but it does fill the role of battlecarrier better, so would it work to have all the big capital ships (battleships, dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, and carriers) be at least this big or close to it?

Cruisers and destroyers fall into the Prometheus size category under this sytem, and anything bigger than an Al'kesh is in the frigate range (which seems to be maybe a fourth the length of the Prometheus, about 50 meters).

Would this work for everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
      A ship that size would not have much on it, that would be more of a world defense ship than anything.
      Could you give me the stats?

New NOTE:

I just learned something!!!

In WWII, the Iowa Class ships had 16 inch guns.

16 inches is about 407mm guys.

Our ships have TINY guns.O-o

A 500mm cannon would be a better idea then what we have been giving.

Maybe 60mm rail guns for anti fighter use would be good, with 300-500mm guns for anti large ship use.
      With the 100-155mm guns being for hiting smaller targets.
      The stats for my ship are on page 37, the Armory class, and I think you can put enough on a ship that's close to 150 feet long to be reasonably effective against fighters.
      The size of WWII naval guns really don't have any bearing on how powerful our spaceships weapons are. They're completely different things, railguns or energy weapons will be able to put out more energy with a smaller size than regular artillery guns.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon View Post
        Well, maybe we should have some set dimensions for what type of ship is what. It would make things easier.

Okay, the Daedalus is 450 meters long, while the Prometheus was about 200 meters long. The Daedalus is classified as a Deep Space Carrier, but it does fill the role of battlecarrier better, so would it work to have all the big capital ships (battleships, dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, and carriers) be at least this big or close to it?

Cruisers and destroyers fall into the Prometheus size category under this sytem, and anything bigger than an Al'kesh is in the frigate range (which seems to be maybe a fourth the length of the Prometheus, about 50 meters).

Would this work for everyone?
        Um, well, my Battleship design is actually only 292 meters long.
        It is old dating from the Earth-Wraith around the mid 4th season of Atlantis.

Also, size alone does not really change the type of ship a ship is.

A Battlecruiser is as large as a battleship or a Dreadnaught, while a Carrier should be larger then those.
        Generally they fit into sizes, but not that well.

A 50m long ships seems more like a patrol ship to me than a Frigate.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
          The stats for my ship are on page 37, the Armory class, and I think you can put enough on a ship that's close to 150 feet long to be reasonably effective against fighters.
          The size of WWII naval guns really don't have any bearing on how powerful our spaceships weapons are. They're completely different things, railguns or energy weapons will be able to put out more energy with a smaller size than regular artillery guns.
          Indeed, and naquada enhancement can make up for any lack of size. Truth be told, when a projectile is moving at close to the speed of light, size doesn't matter too much. Even grains of sand have the force of nuclear weapons at those speeds.

Now, for my entry to the frigate contest:

Spoiler:
          Arcturus-class starship

Type: Small long-range hyperspace capable warship
          Designation: SFG-399
          Technology base: Earth/Asgard
          User/s: United States Navy, United States Air Force,
          Royal Navy/Air Force, Russian Space Service, Japanese Space Self Defense Force.
          Builder(s): Electric Boat
          Construction: Trinium/Composite
          Naval Classification: Stealth Guided missile frigate
          Dimensions:
          ~Length: 134m
          ~Width: 58m
          ~Height: 27m
          Displacement: 120,000 tons
          Crew: 45
          ~Troops: 70-100
          ~Craft: Two Tel'tac cargo/scout ships, two CV-309 Pegasus support craft, or two Puddlejumpers.
          ~Vehicles: 4 light armored vehicles
          Powerplant: 1 x Mk. III Naquada Fusion Reactor; 1 x Mk. II Naquada Fusion Reactor
          Engines:
          ~-Two x Pratt and Whitney LIPD-32F Medium Linear Ion Propulsion Drives
          ~Two x Lockheed Martin/Mitsubishi HWG-5 Hyperspace Window Generators
          ~Area 51 Anti-gravity wave generator network
          Weapons (Standard configuration):
          ~One x 6.8" (155mm) Guass rifle x 5,000 rounds
          ~Two 40mm rail guns x 10,000 rounds each
          ~Two x Mk. 46a Peripheral Vertical Missile Launch Systems x 10 twin-missile cells
          ~One x defensive missile launcher x 42 rounds
          Defenses:
          ~Asgard shields
          ~Sodan cloaking device
          ~Reactive armor plating
          Other Technology:
          ~AEGIS Combat System Mk. 10
          ~Asgard transporters
          ~Asgard sensors
          ~Gou'ald Rings
          ~Four Multi-Mission Modules
          Hull Life Expectancy: 30 years

Technical and Historical Notes:

By 2040, a variety of small combat starships were in service with the various Tau'ri space navies. Some were indigenious, many were built by the United States, and still others had been built under contract by the Tau'ri allies. However, every space-faring nation on Earth had one ship above all else serving in their frigate and patrol boat category, and that was the Arcturus-class starship.

Easily constructed thanks to it's small size and sea-based ship-like design, the Arcturus entered service with the US Navy in 2027 after stating a requirement for a small-sized capital ship to patrol Tau'ri trade routes and holdings. The ship was to wield sufficient armament to defeat vessels in it's weight class, be fast and maneuverable enough to escape from larger threats, and be able to keep up with fleets in hyperspace. Unfortunately, due to cost limitations the vessel was restricted to one Mark III naquada fusion reactor, and one Mark II reactor, for power.

Electric Boat devised an ingenious solution to what other companies saw as a serious obstacle to their own designs for the frigate. The Arcturus was built with an Advanced Power Management System (APMS), allowing the ship to cut and restore power to any of it's systems instantly with the push of a button or a verbal command. This was vital, as the ship's main armament, a 155mm guass rifle, required significant amounts of power to fire at it's standard rate. The Arcturus could cut power to it's hyperdrive and divert it to fire it's weapons in less than a tenth of a second, and could do the same even while under fire in the same time.

While some saw this as a dangerous limitation, it granted the Arturus nearly a twentieth the firepower of an Ori battleship, and in groups the frigates would deal massive damage to threat forces. It also made them more than a match for Wraith cruisers and Gou'ald Al'kesh and other small capital ships.

It's Multi-mission modules (borrowed from the Columbia-class assault carriers), along with it's modular weapon and sensor packages, allowed the Arcturus the ability to become a different ship for every mission. Some of the modules included extra sensors for patrol, reconaissance, and survey missions. Others included provisions for special forces and their infiltration craft, as well as unmanned spacecraft and satellites. Her missile launchers could be replaced with mine-deploying systems, while the ship's guass rifle could be removed and replaced with a heavy-duty directed energy cannon. This immense flexibility, combined with the vessel's good speed and manueverability, soon had an Arcturus in every major Tau'ri-held system, and patrolling every trade route.

Arcturus-class vessels often worked in groups of three, all with different modules to support the others in combat. In concert, few enemy vessels could match their might. They fought in every major engagement the Tau'ri Alliance faced after 2030 to the current day, and only a dozen of the seventy-two built have been lost. More are under construction at the time of this writing.

I have no talent with Google Sketchit, so I went with what I'm best at, plain-old MS Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon View Post
            Indeed, and naquada enhancement can make up for any lack of size. Truth be told, when a projectile is moving at close to the speed of light, size doesn't matter too much. Even grains of sand have the force of nuclear weapons at those speeds.
            The speed of light?!!
            What coil guns or rail guns would be able to do that!
            Those things would have to be LONG.
            Unreasonably long.

The Rail guns in the Siege fired at 5kmps.
            That is pretty dang fast.

Nice design by the way.
            I would suggest more guns and larger ones at that though.

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
            True.

But we were easily able to produce masses of the larger 16 inch shells.
            So the large shells are practical.

And a larger shell will provide far higher kinetic energy than a smaller shell.

Against a ship, a smaller shell might just rip through.
            A larger shell would have more stopping power.

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
              The speed of light?!!
              What coil guns or rail guns would be able to do that!
              Those things would have to be LONG.
              Unreasonably long.

The Rail guns in the Siege fired at 5kmps.
              That is pretty dang fast.

Nice design by the way.
              I would suggest more guns and larger ones at that though.
              Not if you had enough power, and some Asgard technology to help. ^__^ Which we do. Well, the Challenger and Arcturus's guass rifles can.

Arcturus is a frigate. She's designed to fight and defeat fighters, raiders, gunships, cloaked attack vessels, and other frigates on her own. Plus she's got forty anti-ship missiles to back up her guns. Combined with her Asgard shielding she can lay waste to squadrons of Al'Kesh and hold her own against Wraith cruisers, which is all she's really expected to do. Of course, a really creative captain and crew can easily get her to do more if they have to. In essence, where the Daedalus is a Nimitz/Ticonderoga carrier/cruiser, the Arcturus is a Freedom-class litterol combat ship. She is powerful and flexible in the few roles she has.

True.

But we were easily able to produce masses of the larger 16 inch shells.
              So the large shells are practical.

And a larger shell will provide far higher kinetic energy than a smaller shell.

Against a ship, a smaller shell might just rip through.
              A larger shell would have more stopping power.
              True, but smaller shells are easier to shoot at near-light speeds, more can be carried, and gives the gun a higher firing rate. Then again, Challenger's guns are designed more to support her ground forces and fighters, so maybe the 155mm guass rifle shouldn't be made standard. I leave it up to you.

Comment

Ok i've been designing a flagship and below I have a rough picture of it. Now i have more detail work to do so it isn't final. I need some help out on the specs of the ship but i havethe history almost down pack. What do you think?
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

[QUOTE=Andrew Joshua Talon;6104348]Not if you had enough power, and some Asgard technology to help. ^__^ Which we do. Well, the Challenger and Arcturus's guass rifles can.

Arcturus is a frigate. She's designed to fight and defeat fighters, raiders, gunships, cloaked attack vessels, and other frigates on her own. Plus she's got forty anti-ship missiles to back up her guns. Combined with her Asgard shielding she can lay waste to squadrons of Al'Kesh and hold her own against Wraith cruisers, which is all she's really expected to do. Of course, a really creative captain and crew can easily get her to do more if they have to. In essence, where the Daedalus is a Nimitz/Ticonderoga carrier/cruiser, the Arcturus is a Freedom-class litterol combat ship. She is powerful and flexible in the few roles she has.

True, but smaller shells are easier to shoot at near-light speeds, more can be carried, and gives the gun a higher firing rate.
                  The energy needed to propell something to near light speeds would be immense.
                  Heck the Tria needed a ZPM to do it!
                  That energy would be so better used in the shields or in energy cannons.
                  Bassically, I doubt a frigate would have that kind of energy available.
                  Tecknology is all well and good, but unless each shell has an inertial dampener to reduce its apparent mass, it aint gunna be easy to do.

Heck, my Battleships fire their main coil guns at 22,000kmps!
                  That is dang fast itself... and they are 400mm cannons.

That means for each pound that the round weighs, it produces 80997087090264.73 pounds of pressure per square foot.
                  And the 400mm round is about 1.5 feet in diameter.
                  That thing will rip apart a Wraith ship!

Heck, the rail guns from the railguns in the sieg produced:
                  4183733839857.47lbs of pressure per foot, per pound.

Then again, Challenger's guns are designed more to support her ground forces and fighters, so maybe the 155mm guass rifle shouldn't be made standard. I leave it up to you.
                  I would say drastically reduce the speed, change the shells to fragmenting shells to HEAT and fragmenting rounds, and add some larger sized guns as anti-ship weapons.

That is my suggestion.
                  Last edited by An-Alteran; 16 December 2006, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I like the Arcturis class alot AJT, its very good I wasnt ever going to dismiss what you said, however much it annoys me you are one of the few people that has to be listened too.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

cool ship AJT, ok this what i came up with for the Aschen...it's just idea for what i thought their ships may look like so you may be brutal as i'm sure some of you will...

tell me what you think
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Imma have a go today...
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                          Imma have a go today...
                          at what? modeling? mine that bad lol
                          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Ok so ive had a go, i like what ive done but im not sure what i did it for, i need someone to classify it lol..

it started off a a greek trimarine..i was going to make the aschen a greek or roman baed soceity, but we kinda have that and so did the tollan and the ancients..so maybe another civilzation could be adopted as the theme.
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                              Ok so ive had a go, i like what ive done but im not sure what i did it for, i need someone to classify it lol..

it started off a a greek trimarine..i was going to make the aschen a greek or roman baed soceity, but we kinda have that and so did the tollan and the ancients..so maybe another civilzation could be adopted as the theme.
                              cool ship, but do they need to have a theme? the Aschen were never in contact with Earth so they wouldn't really be based on anyone...

what kind of ship is yours? (e.g. battleship, cruiser etc...)

Comment

Ok specs, ill have a go:

Name: Peramen
                                Class: BattleCarrier
                                Size: 470mL, 230mW, 90mH
                                Users: Aschen Confederation - Planetary assault wing
                                Material: Trinium/Naquadah alloy

Power:
                                Ion Fusion Reactors - Capital grade
                                Solar conversion panels.

Propulsion:
                                Advance Ion drives

Defences:
                                Aschen force barrier
                                Aschen Absorbance armour

Armament:
                                2x Ion pulse cannon
                                6x Ion beam gun
                                1x Bio weapon launcher

Craft:
                                80x Aschen AUAV (see below)

Other:
                                Aschen beaming pads
                                Advanced medial centres
                                Bio weapon launcher
                                inertial dampners and anti explosion devices.

History and detail:

The peramen class Ascehn battlecarrier is a formidable class of warships. It was developed in 2024, during the hieght of the Ori's reign. although it was never used because the Ori never breached the worlds of the Aschen confederation. The aschen created a a law by which all gates in the confederation were buried and only cloaked ships were to be used, thus avoiding any contact with other worlds for almost 30 years. The peramen was not used until after the Ori were defeated because it did not possess a cloak, although plans were in motion to create a capitol ship version of thier cloaks.
                                The Peramen was designed to be for the Assault and conversion of planets to the Aschen confederation, specificly Jaffa planets. But the Ori had thwarted them at doing this and they were left with no reason for it to be pushed in to battle. The class was relaunched at the begining of the Aschen/Earth reemergence in order to convert or "agreesively persuede" human cultures to the AC rather than join the Tauri. They wanted to create a split between humans, between those siding with them (and giving benefits in return, like we were promised) and those siding with us.
                                The peramen was a success and had enough firepower and ships to quell smaller uprising on jaffa, human and alien worlds in the galaxy. The tauri lost several dozen valuble allies to this ship.
                                The tactic was to use its energy weapons to take out defences. Then move in for ground assault if there was further fighting. They would broadcast propogander and send out delegations to negociate surrender. They serve a similar role to that of the Hatak during the Goaulds reign.
                                Their weapons were beam and cannon, Ion based weapons. The ion cannons were in design very similar to Tollan weapons, they fired high powered balls of Ion material (a form of plasma) towards ships, unlike the Tollan weapons these were very powerfull, and easily able to take out hataks after half a dozen shots. They are more powerfull than Early Asgard weapons seen in revelations and did not have the weakness of being "goauld proof". The ion Beam weaponry was just as powerfull, they were basicly Ion lasers, a massive burst of energy that traveled in a stright line and could be shot in pulses or fired continuosly at a single target. They too were very effective agaisnt hataks, which they were designed to fight. The aschen weapons were mildly effective again our shields but because our shiedl technolgy was far superior to both their own and the goaulds, it was a fairer fight. a deadalus class could go toe to toe with one of these and take a least 30 cannon hits.

However thier shield technology was not weak, it was young in comparision to our own, but it wasnt meaninless. they had relied on Armour plating which absorbed energy and balistic fire(a much less advanced version of the kull armour) to protect thier ships, and had only developed shields as a result of meeting other vessels, including the hatak and deadalus. the Shield technology was about the same as anubis's advanced hataks. Which means they could take a pounding. The Peramen was therfore a powerfull ship with impressive defensive and offensive abilities. Backed up by an 80 strong airwing of unmanned fighter drones, the drones were a winged fighter with two beam guns and absorbance armour. They were a powerfull fighter, and more than a match for a glider or F302.
                                Given the impressive specs of this ship it was put in to production in the year 2033, for 10 years the aschen have used the ship to covert planets while earth is recovering. The peramen has put earth under some pressure, both to find a countermeasure to this force, and to win back the hearts and minds of the humans who have held out for thier forces to come and turn the tide back against the wave of conversion the aschen have mustered with this ship in the wake of thier absense.

I actually like my job on this one
                                Last edited by immhotep; 17 December 2006, 06:54 AM.
                                sigpic
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X