Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reason for development.

Spoiler:
    With becoming ever more dominate power in the galaxy and our trade network growing bigger by the day, earth military forces was continually being over stretch with constant attacks by pirates. Earth forces required a vessel capable of being fast, maneuverable . It must also be capable of defending cargo vessels and freighters and be able to provide cover fire and support to larger vessels, but not to rely on them. Also the vessel needs to be able detect cloak vessels.

As many companies and cooperations have built or started construction of such vessels to defend their own cargo vessel freighters and to speed up the huge time it usually take to developed a vessel, it was decided that the competition was to be held in 18 months, all of the vessels ought to be ready and operational, up to a point where they will be able to fly, carry out tests, and participate in test missions, combat engagements. This was also going to be the first construct which other races corporations would be able to enter.

The defiant was design and constructed and almost finish in under eighteen months. The ship was design and built by Highland System, a company set up under father and son team of traders. They originally wanted to build a vessel capable of defending their own vessels but with this ccontract opertunity it was decided that were going to build a vessel from scratch and from the ground up. This was finance by banks and selling of several vessels in their fleet. It was built at their own lading bays in highlands of Scotland

And so the defiant class was design.

Spoiler:
    Name: Defiant Class

Crew: 80

Hull: Naquada trinium hull

Size:

Rough figures

150 meters long
    40 meter wide
    20 high

Shields: A asgurd bubble shield

Power Source:
    1 Mark five Naquada generator
    2 Mark one Naquada generator (Backup power)

Engines:
    3 ion drives. one gravity drive.
    1 human built hyperdrive

Communications:

1 long range subspace communications
    1 long range radio transmissions,

Weapons:

These plasma cannons were design to be small and high powered. They were design in combination with hyberians and Gould technology. Which enable the highland corporation to design plasma cannons capable of firing 70 shots per minute. Each of these were low power weapons, but their pure fire rate meant they could overload a shields, as they were place on the vessel so they would concentrate their fire on a single point on a enemy shield.

6 fix forward plasma cannons
    2 fix rear plasma cannons
    2 plasma turrets
    2 forward torpedo's tubes
    2 rear torpedo's
    12 defense drones

Sensors:

Modified asguard sensors
    Multi spectrum sensors. (translation, they can scan on all the spectrum, heat, ultra violet, x rays )
    Sub space sensors

These were the most important part of the ship. They must be able to detect cloak vessels, at lease up 10,000 km meters away from the vessel. This was the most difficult part of the vessel design. Asgard and humans sensors were just not up to the task. The only sensors known to be able to penetrate a cloak were ancient sensors on Atlantis. Albert, the son spent years working with the military studying the sensors on Atlantis. He spent the entire eighteen months studying the sensors in a puddle jumpers, he was able to modified and redesign the asgurd sensors to detect cloak vessels at over fifty thousands kilometers, five times the distance required for the test.

Additional Equipment:

Asgard transporters
    life support

History:

Spoiler:

This vessel was a out sider for the prize, few people even gave them a chance at winning the competition. With the competition split in to five parts.

Part one

The vessels had to fly through the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. They were not allowed to use weapons in this test, they had to navigate and maneuver around the rocks with in specified path. The defiant navigated through the asteroid field with ease. Their shields were at fifty percent and they suffered minor outer hull damage but they perform better than most other vessels and most people exspected.

Stage two test:

This part of the testing stage was to determine whether the ships had the sensors capabilities that the contract demanded they had. They add to locate six different objects within the asteroid fields. These were hidden,either within the asteroids or using different cloaking methods. The second stage to locate destroy moving vessel. All ships fail this part of the test none was able to find the puddle jumper or locate the object which was cloak using a sodan cloak device. Despite this the defiant and ten other vessels proceeded to the next stage of testing.

Stage three.

The remaining eleven vessels were given twenty targets they had to destroyed. The defiant weapon systems enable them to take the targets out in a total of twenty minutes. A further five vessels failed this test, most did not contain the fire power to destroy the targets quick enough.

Stage four:

This stage was to test the ability for the ship to protect it self and a small convoy of vessels They were given a fleet of twelve cargo vessels they needed to protect. The cargo vessels had to to make five deliveries to different locations.

The defiant mission lasted five days. They were attack a total of twelve times by pirates they defended the fleet well, they lost just one vessel.

The rest of the vessel feared quit well most losing one or two vessels. But none completed the test 100% percent.

Eventually it came down to three vessels. All have performed equally well. The defiant, the lightening and the crossbow.

Stage Five

The final test they were had to fight each other in a combat simulation. Who ever last the longest was the winner.

All three vessel fought well they all lasted for over thirty minutes, under constant attack from each other. Their vessels lasted longer than any one else had expected. Eventually with the defiant stronger weapons they were able to defeat the other two vessels. Although by this time th defiant had lost its shields and engines, if it was not Albert coming up with shifting all power to the weapons they would of lost.

All three vessels, went through extensive examinations, by the military they analyze every aspect of the design and their performance through the tests. Eventually they came to conclusion that the the defiant was the superior vessel.

The military made order several of the crafts to be constructed and pushed into service.

The highland facilities able to produce two vessels per four months. New facilities were built these facilities expanded their production capability ten folds. Not only did they attract orders from the military, they receive dozens of orders from cooperations, interested in protecting their off world assets.

Any suggestions for improving the design. Model will becoming tonight possible or on Monday as I will lose daily internet access for the next three weeks .

But that will give me plenty of time to finish of my models and start more off
    Last edited by knowles2; 16 December 2006, 09:29 AM. Reason: Grammer, spelling, adding stuff and changing history of the design

Comment

cool ship...but the history doesn't make sense to me it reminds me of space race! it seems pointless to me to have the ships pit against each other in such a way especially in a straight fight...i suggest you change the history
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I think its really good, except your using alot of plasma cannons but i will admit that by this stage in our advancement, we would have developed or have access to some kind of plasma weaponry, even if its just retroengineered staff cannons..
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

seeing as no one has answered me i guess i'll have to deal with the Aschen myself...

anyone want to help or have any suggestions? i'm gonna get started this week
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I will help with the aschen modaling the ships even designing them, just that I not be online reguarly for next couple weeks or so starting tomorrow.

And as for history well I feel that having them face of each other was simply a cool idea I add I will edit it a bit but I feel that sounded cool and also it good way to test the abilities of the ship and seeing if it can do what it is required. May the sensor ones was a bit over the top. i will tone it down a little, not a lot a little.
            I will go back and edit my vessel. and bring the plasma cannons down to 6 forward and 2 rear. and as they are fix they will need the two turrents,for fighters and more maneuverable crafts.

Also I think we will have energy weapons far sooner than 2040.

And I think they will be quip most ships by that time with them to. But that just my opinion.

And the reason I chose plasma cannons it because they do not need ammo and so more space for more important things.
            Last edited by knowles2; 16 December 2006, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
              seeing as no one has answered me i guess i'll have to deal with the Aschen myself...

anyone want to help or have any suggestions? i'm gonna get started this week

I'll help if I get back soon enough. I can model some ships or something.

Comment

Well I'll take the energy cannons off mine then. Although personally I think, considering the year it is, these ships wont just have coilguns/railguns and missiles. However I do agree that 640 missiles is way too much for a frigate.

Comment

Who needs energy weapons? The Gauss Rifles on the Challenger are stronger than Ha'taks cannons.

Comment

What about laser weapons? We know that the USA are already developing them and with naquadah power sources laser would become very much more feasable. We could have laser weapons on our vessels, to set them apart from the usual stargate energy weapons which are usually plasma based.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

personally I do not see them being powerfull enough to effect shields and as we seen shields go to hell and back. I just do not think they have the power. And also from various explanations I herd to how shields work it would be easy to create a shield to counter them.

So no for lasers, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD View Post
                        I'll help if I get back soon enough. I can model some ships or something.
                        cool thanks, you're a great modeler...i already have one model half done which is more of a concept model to see what kind of style of ship they're going to have i'll post it slightly later and you can tell me what you think...

we can design the specs of PM

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        I will help with the aschen modaling the ships even designing them, just that I not be online reguarly for next couple weeks or so starting tomorrow.
                        ok, we may move quite quickly though so do what you can...i'll PM with anything we need...

And as for history well I feel that having them face of each other was simply a cool idea I add I will edit it a bit but I feel that sounded cool and also it good way to test the abilities of the ship and seeing if it can do what it is required. May the sensor ones was a bit over the top. i will tone it down a little, not a lot a little.
                        i just didn't like them actually fighting each other i don't think that would happen the other tests were fine just the face off doesn't seem right...

Comment

This is my designation list. Please use if it is comprehensive enough.

Note on Letter suffix designations:
                          The letters are short for things. For each ship type, you essentially add whatever letters you want:
                          So a Command Cruiser would be: CC.
                          A Deep Space Cruiser would be: DSC.
                          A uBer Death and Doom Cruiser would be something like: UDC or CUD.
                          Here is a website that deals with all the Naval designations for things:
                          http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.htm

Now if these ships are made under the Air force, they will have different designations:
                          M-D-S.
                          Mission, Design, Series.
                          They are designated by this system.
                          Here is a site about Air Force designations:
                          http://www.designation-systems.net/u.../aircraft.html

Mission: Why was it made? What was it made for? What does it do? What does it do?
                          Design: What type is it? Is it a 15, a 12, an 11, a 44? A 302, a 304, a 303?
                          Series: Is it an upgrade? Is it a Battleship-309-A?

In Stargate they seem to follow the Aircraft designations.
                          So I will include these derivatives: as the main designation choice.

Carriers: A ship designed solely to carry Fighters. These ships have large launch bays that hold fighters. Most of the ship is dedicated to fighters and support. These ships are armed lightly, and armored only enough to withstand a few hits.
                          They have very limited armament, mainly consisting of weapons to defend against small enemy ships.
                          These ships rely on their fighters for the large combat impact.
                          Designation:
                          Air force: C (Add letters as necessary, IE: DSC.)-(-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          A DSC would be an aircraft designation: It is a Carrier for Deep Space. DSC.
                          Naval: CV.

Battle Carrier: A ship design to mainly carry fighters. These ships have large sections dedicated to fighters, but also have many other uses. These ships are decently armored, and also well armed. They insert fighters into the thick of combat, and cover the fighters, who then cover the ship. These ships can generally hold their own against opponent mid-size vessels.
                          Designation:
                          Air force: BC (Add letters as necessary.)-(-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: BCV.

Assault Carrier: A ship designed to carry fighters, and ground assault forces. These ships are decently armored, and armed mainly in cover and support weaponry. They can’t fight enemy combat ships, besides maybe the smaller ones.
                          They are designed to withstand fire while inserting forces and launching fighters and assault craft.
                          Designation:
                          Air force: AC (Add letters as necessary.)-(-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: CVA.

Dreadnaught: A Battleship that is armed mainly with the many sets of the largest and most powerful type of weapon available, having few secondary weapons, all of small defensive purpose. Basically: An all big gun Battleship.
                          Shields would be the same as on a Battleship. As would be the designation.
                          Designation:
                          Air force: B (Add letters as necessary.)-(-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: BB, or BB(Sub type letter).
                          BB is Battleship.
                          Maybe: BBD, or BD.
                          Battleship Dreadnaught.
                          Add letters as necessary.
                          Fighters: None. Other ships: Maybe a PJ (or equivalent) launch bay or storage house.

Battleship: A Battleship is any ship, generally of large size, that is dedicated to offensive and defensive combat against the largest of opponent’s ships. They are heavily armed and heavily armored.
                          In this fleet, any ship with many powerful weapons, no (or extremely limited, like room for a few Puddle Jumpers, or a fighter or two) fighter/small ship capacity, and heavy armour (the Asgard shields would generally be powerful on any ship, armour would more dictate its role.
                          Air force: B (Add letters as necessary.)-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: BB or BB(letter for subclass).
                          BB is Battleship: Battleship
                          Fighters: None. Other ships: Maybe a PJ (or equivalent) launch bay or storage house.

Battlecruiser: A warship of large sized, armed to the teeth rivaling and equaling the Battleships in firepower, but with a glass jaw. These ships sacrifice heavy armour for better maneuverability.
                          The shields protect it just as well as on a Battleship, but after those shields fail, it can’t take that much damage.
                          These ships can also function as patrol vessels, and scouts for the fleet having better sensors than their heavier armored Battleship brothers. These ships can operate in the specialties of Cruisers to a very limited degree.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: This gets tricky. A BC is a Battle Carrier… so CB-(number)-(series if there is one) maybe?
                          Naval: Something like CB. BC would be: Battle Carrier, and that is something different.

Cruiser: A warship with many uses. These ships act on patrols, support for larger ships, escort duty. They are best at supporting larger ships, and patrolling.
                          They are powerful ships, generally much smaller than their Battleship brothers. They would have no fighters or ships, except maybe a PJ or two, or equivalent ship. But likely in storage instead of having a launch bay.
                          These ships are well armed and armored, being about equal in both fields. They have excellent sensor equipment and can be great scouts. They hold their own against smaller opponent ships, but would easily be overwhelmed by most main opponent ships in one on one combat.
                          Air Force: Tricky, CC(just for lack of anything else, Add letters as necessary.)-(number)-(series if there is one).
                          Designation: CC or CC(Sub type letter).

Heavy Cruiser: Slower, more heavily armed slightly more armored version of a Cruiser.
                          Generally slightly larger.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: HC-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: CCA

Light Cruiser: Either far less armored, or less armed than a Cruiser, being generally smaller and faster.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: LC-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: CCL

Frigate: These ships are fast escort and support craft for larger warships. They are less armored, and focus in several things including weaponry.
                          They would have good sensors, and help pull smaller ships away from the Battleships.
                          Essentially these would deal with Wraith Cruisers ships, parse, while the BBs dealt with the Hives.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: SF(support Frigate)-(number)-(series if there is one).
                          FF-(Sub type letter)

Destroyer: Fast, heavily armed warships. These generally escort convoys, and act as scouts and support vessels for fleets.
                          They would specialize in anti-cloak sensing tech. They are decently armored, but not that heavily.
                          They are armed to the teeth for their size.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: D-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: DD, or DD(Sub type letter).

Patrol Ship: Small ships that are designed with limited armament and armor but good sensors. They are border scouts.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: P-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: P(Sub type letter). So: PB would be Border Patrol ship.

Bombers: A ship/craft designed with heavy offensive weapons against a large, or relatively stationary target.
                          These don’t usually have good defenses. Shields, maybe a little armour.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: UB-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: B(Sub role) like: F/A for Ground Attack Fighter

Fighters: A craft designed with good offense and little defense. These are well armed, and used generally en mass to attack targets that are stationary, moving, darting around, or whatever. They support larger allied ships and distract and do pinpoint damage to larger enemy ships, as well as significant damage to smaller and medium sized enemy ships.
                          Designation:
                          Air Force: F-(number)-(series if there is one)
                          Naval: F(Sub role) like: F/A for Ground Attack Fighter
                          Last edited by An-Alteran; 16 December 2006, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Good work An-Alteran. And thanks for listening to me Immhotep, though by now you should know that I'm not too good at being polite in this arena, heh.

On lasers: As lasers do most of their damage through heat exchange, in space their utility as weapons is a bit limited unless they're very, VERY high powered. By heat exchange I mean that they heat up a target to damage it, which is easier if there is a medium to convey that heat (such as air). The air around a target a laser is hitting in an atmosphere will heat up along with the target, causing greater damage. Lasers would serve better as targeting and communications systems.

Ergo, I suggest particle beam-based weaponry-They don't rely exclusively on heat to do their damage. This includes plasma-based technology which is what the Goa'uld staff weapons seem to be.

An-Alteran, I saw the ships in the thread. Good work. And especially good work on the explanation above.
                            Last edited by Andrew Joshua Talon; 16 December 2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

So the frigates are going to be around 150m? I just noticed my entry was significantly smaller than everyone elses, only 50m, and was curious what the size ranges were for the different classes of ships.
                              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                                So the frigates are going to be around 150m? I just noticed my entry was significantly smaller than everyone elses, only 50m, and was curious what the size ranges were for the different classes of ships.
                                A ship that size would not have much on it, that would be more of a world defense ship than anything.
                                Could you give me the stats?

New NOTE:

I just learned something!!!

In WWII, the Iowa Class ships had 16 inch guns.

16 inches is about 407mm guys.

Our ships have TINY guns.O-o

A 500mm cannon would be a better idea then what we have been giving.

Maybe 60mm rail guns for anti fighter use would be good, with 300-500mm guns for anti large ship use.
                                With the 100-155mm guns being for hiting smaller targets.
                                Last edited by An-Alteran; 16 December 2006, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X