Avalon pts. 1 & 2 episode DVD commentary

Avalon pt. 1 commentary

Part 1

AM: Hi there, I’m Andy Mikita.

RC: And I’m Rob Cooper.
    And this is episode one of season one of Stargate Command –
    Oh, right. Slip of the tongue.
    It’s season nine of Stargate SG-1.
    There’s a little inside joke at the end of tease here in which… Gary’s character, technician, as I refer to him…

AM: Right.

RC: …even though he’s got a name, says: “Welcome to Stargate Command.”
    This was supposed to be the pilot for a new show. And quite frankly, it doesn’t really matter.

AM: Yeah, it’s still a wonderful thing.

RC: An opportunity to reinvent the show.
    We spent a lot of energy creating Stargate Atlantis… and in the process of that realized that we were really tired of trying to end SG-1. If no one else was gonna notice that we had ended it three years in the row and we were gonna stop doing that. And so we decided with what felt like the end of the chapter with, you know… Richard Dean Anderson essentially leaving the show… it was an opportunity to reinvent the series. The Goa’uld had been defeated, the Replicators had been defeated. So we needed to start fresh.

RC: I sat down to write these first two – what was supposed to be two episodes – and I got about, you know… a third of the way into the story and I was already on page, you know, 55… which is longer than – we normally have one script in. I called Brad and I said: “I got a three parter here.” And you know what? It became a discussion about whether or not it was important to get across the plot because we thought we could do that in the span of two episodes. Or to spend the time we felt we wanted to spend introducing these characters. And this episode is really not about the introduction of the Ori which was a risk because you really wanted to set up your new villains and get people going and excited about the story. But it’s also important to get them excited about the people they’re gonna get into the roller-coaster car with and go on the ride.

AM: Exactly.

RC: Absolutely.

AM: And that’s what this is.

RC: This episode is about, you know, Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell… and his, you know, mission to get the band back together.

AM: Right, exactly. And, I mean, the anticipation from the fan base… it was generated more towards the introduction of the characters –
    Yeah, and what we really wanted to do was create –

RC: You know, I felt and I said right away: “Hey, you know, we’ve seen the character who comes in…and people are suspicious of him and they slowly come around.” I wanted it to be something we hadn’t really seen before, which is a guy who’s a superfan, you know. He’s the guy who the fans have sort of, you know, been complaining for years. Let’s get the team back together. Let’s do team episodes.

RC: Let’s go out on missions together. And here’s a guy who is essentially that voice.
    Wanted to champion that cause.
    Wants to do that.
    And you’ll bear witness to the fact that that Ben, of course, coming in… in a nerve-racking situation starts a successful show and has a well-seasoned cast… big shoes to fill… was very nervous about playing someone so enthusiastic. Actors love to play dark, brooding and cool.

RC: And essentially this character was… An excited kid.
    Kind of a geek, you know. He was kind of a Stargate geek. He loved the show, loved the char-,
    “Loved the show”.
    Loved the world and loved the characters. And really just wanted everybody to be back together again. And so it was a challenge to convince him that that level of enthusiasm would make his character very appealing to the fans and to people who watch the show. When we first see his character in this scene with General Landry he’s very stoic and guarded and so he’s in fact the opposite of that. And it’s funny because when I talked to Ben about that scene and his decisions and his performance, it was all very calculated. He felt as though he was gonna get there. He was gonna get to that enthusiasm… but he didn’t want it to be the first beep out of his mouth.

AM: Yeah, well, he plotted his course very carefully to his credit, for sure.

RC: And you know, this was probably a tough scene.
    We shot it very early in the schedule. And here he is with Beau Bridges, you know, a guy who pretty much can, you know, blow anybody off the screen if you’re not careful. And you know, he… You’ll notice his performance in this scene is very much centered around his hat and he talked about that. He thought very carefully about that.
    When Ben first got the role he agreed to come on the show. He said: “Well, I want to watch every episode.” And I said: “Well, actually the truth is that there’s a lot of episodes I’d really rather you didn’t see.” And he goes: “No, no, no. I want to see the successes and the failures and, you know, everything, works and all.” And he sat down and watched all 180-odd episodes at the time. I thought that - That frightened me a little.

AM: It scared a hell out of me, for sure.

RC: But it became a bit of a running gag in the show. All of the references to him having read the files in a way translated to him having seen the show. So, “That was a good file. I remembered that one.” It was all, you know, could have been, “I remember that show”. And I’ll tell you that the, I think, nervousness and the pressure he felt, I think, was felt by all of us. Here we were in the ninth season of an incredibly successful show. Kind of at a point where if it had all, you know, failed and, you know, been – you know, gone away it really wouldn’t hurt anybody.

AM: That’s right.

RC: I mean it would’ve been considered a sort of a valiant attempt to keep a successful show going. But so what? Nine seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

RC: And yet, I think we all felt that there was this incredible opportunity to revitalize this show and stop the talk of “Is this the last year?” And kind of make it something that was the beginning of something that could go on for years. So I mean, when I was writing it I felt a tremendous amount of pressure to make this work, make it fresh, make it new, make people love these characters, make it different from everything we had done before, so there weren’t direct comparisons. But at the same time keep the core of what Stargate has been over the years. And I don’t know, I mean, did you feel that pressure as the director?

AM: Well, I definitely felt that pressure, I mean, even coming from you, when you would –
    The early days when you would talk about this – Think about this as the pilot for a new show even though it’s not. Think in those terms. And you know, so yeah, absolutely. There was certainly that pressure. And the pressure of introducing the new characters and so forth…but from the point when we read – I think everybody felt this way when we read the scripts for the first time. It was so exciting because we saw all that great potential with all the new characters and the new directions and – It reeked of potential.

RC: I was saying this to Jim, we did the commentary for “Origin”. We did it first which is a little weird having done episode three before we do episode one and two. But I was saying that I think it was probably a good thing to have Atlantis being produced kind of parallel to SG-1, because everybody who was on SG-1 got a little jealous. It was a little competitive, you know, motivation going on there, where they all saw, “Hey, they’re getting to shoot all these new sets and spend all these money and they’re dealing with new stories and new characters. Isn’t that exciting and fresh?” And I think that that sense of invigoration translated over into season nine of SG-1. Everybody who just saw it and got a breath of a fresh air and said: “Wow, this is not just the same old, same old. We’re really trying to do something new and different here.”

AM: It translated through everybody. It wasn’t just the crew. The cast, you know… the recurring casts that we were used to for the past nine – Eight years – felt exactly the same way. Everybody felt that sort of newfound energy and enthusiasm on, you know. In the trenches in some level.

RC: And trying to marry this… This scene, in particular of these flashbacks to Mitchell’s crash.It was all, I think… that the continuity that we’ve seen over the years behind the camera. You know, not just in the writers, but in the directors and everybody involved has helped make the show feel like one, you know, big epic story. It’s got a fabric that holds together.

AM: Yeah.

RC: And even though we were doing all this new stuff, new villains, new characters, all this, we still wanted to try and incorporate that – Those people back into the story. And I thought that for me it really clicked as an idea, specifically the Mitchell character, when I came up with the fact that he was someone who had been on the periphery of the show that you just didn’t see that. That he was actually a pilot in…

AM: That’s right, he was…

RC: We were going back to one of the most incredible sequences we’ve ever done on the show. And we’re gonna show it from a different angle, his point of view.

AM: Which is really clever. It was such a clever approach to the introduction.

RC: What it did was it made you feel as though the world of Stargate was bigger than what you’ve been seeing. And that even though you feel like: “Well, maybe I’ve seen it all in eight seasons.” No, there’s always more to what’s going on than just what we’re showing you at this particular moment. The Stargate universe is essentially, you know… It’s endless.

AM: It’s infinite.

RC: And it also, essentially, saved us from having to create what could have been a contrived or phoney situation in which Mitchell comes in in the first episode and does something incredibly heroic that makes you think: “Oh, isn’t he a great hero?” Well, he’s already done that thing. That’s why he’s here. We’re just gonna flashback to it and show you the natural progression that led to this moment, which is, everybody knows, Colonel Mitchell is – He did something special. The mystery in this episode is what was that special thing that he did. And that goes to unfold over the course of these flashbacks. The time we take with that is really what made that original, what was supposed to be that two-parter expand out into the three-parter. And these are all just moments like this with him being kind of funny and flip (on Dakara asking people to join SG-1 and show him the way to Stargate).

AM: Yeah. We just get to know who he is.

RC: We never ever would have had time to let these moments breathe.
    Last edited by Formerhost; 31 March 2006, 08:31 AM.

Thanks FH!
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

That explaisnt he constant "you read every file?" for the season then, ah the in-jokes
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Thank you very much!

A.
        VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

Thanks for typing all this, Formerhost!

I enjoy all the background information, but do they eventually talk about what is happening on the screen? I enjoy commentaries better when they give us little side stories about the scene.

Comment

Thanks for going to that trouble, Formerhost Red jello for you!
            scarimor

Comment

Thanks, folks!

Expect the next installment (or two) tomorrow. I must say that I really LOVE Sony, they subtitled EVERYTHING, not only episodes, but also commentaries and another special features, so it's really great facilitation, especially that English is not my language and quite often I have problems with spoken word

Comment

Muchos Gracias!

Mattathias

Comment

Yeah, thanks a lot Formerhost. It was really great of you to take the time to write all that out. Man I can't wait for the boxed set to come out.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Part 2

RC: Let us have some fun with them.

AM: That particular one (Mitchell sitting in front of computer, talking to Sam on screen) was done in the very, very first day of shooting. If you recall that was his first day on the set?

RC: Let him go. Let’s see what we get.

AM: Yeah. And that was exactly it.

RC: Ben is a very natural guy and a great guy to work with, you know… with an incredible attention to detail. He is not the kind of guy who shows up, says his lines and goes home. He really, really cares about what he’s doing.

AM: He was very involved in the preproduction stage of the episode. You know, he came to town early. He spent a lot of time with me and yourself in prep. He wanted to see all the sets. He wanted to walk the sets. He wanted to know what I was thinking in terms of staging for the scenes and wanted to provide his input. It was great. I mean, it was like he and I almost had our own preproduction period as it was.

RC: Right.

AM: And it was really valuable time and I was appreciative of him being willing to provide that kind of time. Because I, again, I felt that same sort of pressure that he was. We were kind of both in the same boat to a certain extent.

RC: Right. So tell me how do you deal – This particular scene (Sam on computer screen talking to Mitchell) was… Obviously, they were shot at completely different times. There was a voice. There was just a blank screen there.

RC: I mean, how do you prepare to help an actor to deal with that? Because it’s not something that the director of a normal drama would have to do on a regular basis.

AM: Well, in that case, because fortunately, as you said, Ben had taken the time to watch every episode. He knew the other characters, you know, probably… Obviously a lot better than he knew his own character and the direction that it was gonna go. So in that scene, where he was basically talking to a blank screen he knew how Amanda Tapping plays the part of Samantha Carter.

RC: Right.

AM: And you know, was able to, you know, essentially act to a stand-in who was just reading the lines. Do you mean that perspective?

RC: Yeah, and also, but I think that – And I think you would attest to the fact that one of the things that is the hardest is to, in science fiction, get actors to trust you, the director, that you’re not gonna make them look silly in the situation. So that in that case it was probably less of an issue, because he knew Amanda Tapping was gonna be there and he wouldn’t be talking to a blank screen. But there are a lot of times where you have them, the characters looking at a green screen and they don’t know what they’ll see. They don’t know what it’ll be like and you tell them: “You’re seeing a big ship now and you got to look really surprised!” And they don’t want to necessarily buy into it. You know, and again, we both struggled with trying to get Ben to buy into the idea of the enthusiasm. And I think that it’s a process as a director, you know, getting actors who you aren’t as familiar with, you haven’t worked with before, to trust you.

AM: But often with Ben it would be just – And the same thing with Claudia, who we’ll see later as Vala, you give them the floor, you provide the stage and then you just, “Okay, go ahead, let’s, you know, see your take on it.”

RC: Right, which is what you do with Rick all the time (Jack and Landry playing chess and talking).

AM: Constantly. Exactly.

RC: You just live with it, whatever it is.

AM: But I mean, see what the do instinctively first, because often it, you know, can be dead-on right the first time. Or they could just introduce, you know, elements that you’re not – That can, you know, really pleasantly surprise. Some of the things that he was doing, I was not expecting at all and we went with it. But again, to his credit, he would just come to me right away and you know, “Did you believe that?” He’d need to know that. OK, we’re shooting HD and we’ve got some time. We’ll print that, but now let’s try a few other things.

RC: We’ll make the choices later.

AM: Yeah, make the choices later.

RC: This scene, when I wrote it (Mitchell auditioning people for his team), everybody thought, “Oh, this is a lot of fun.” But I think even you came in to me and said: “Everybody, why are we shooting this? Everybody knows this is the first thing that hits the cutting room floor when the show is too long.” And all three –

AM: I was afraid that that was going to be the case. I was hoping it wasn’t.

RC: All three episodes were more than, I think, in the neighbourhood of 10 minutes too long.

AM: Yeah, they were up there.

RC: “Avalon 1, 2” and “Origin”. You know, you do that when you’re making a pilot. I mean, it’s obviously not good business to shoot that much extra material when you’re shooting just a regular old episode. But you really, with this many factors… New factors, actors, props, sets, you just never know what’s gonna work. You really don’t and you hope certain things work. But you want that breathing room to – An ability to manipulate everything in the editing room. We didn’t really cut that many whole scenes out of any of the three shows. We ended up really just trimming things that weren’t working or adjusting pace. In some cases, we cut, you know…

AM: Although the end of two.

RC: Yes, the end of two changed some…

AM: But you’re right up to that point. It was just making adjustments within existing scenes. And… The editing process is – Thankfully you allowed me to sit in with you which was great and I appreciate it, but it is heartbreaking.

RC: It is amazing, isn’t it, how much you shape the show in the postprocess.

AM: Yeah, no question.

RC: You know, a lot of fans who like to think of themselves as experts in terms of their interpretation of who is responsible for what. You know, this was well-written. This was well-directed. I mean, I would say, the vast majority of the quality or failure of the show is emphasized in the postproduction process. I mean, you can take a show that was well-written, well-directed and well-acted and ruin it in the editing room.

AM: Absolutely.

RC: Or you can take a show, that was probably not well-written, not well-directed, not well-acted and make it look brilliant and salvage it and make it look brilliant in the editing room. And I think that where it’s fun is when you have great material and you’re just trying to make it better, put it together in an interesting way or change it. But when you’re too long often times you need to come up with creative ways of telling the story with the footage you have in shorter, more efficient uses of that material. That little montage that we did there (flashbacks in the hospital with Mitchell’s mother, Daniel, Sam and Jack) was always planned. But I think you had had a much longer, you know, move-in on the spaceship at the beginning there. So we put some dissolves in there. And it actually ended up…

AM: And it works absolutely fine.

RC: You know, setting the pace for the floor of the montage.

AM: When you’re shooting, you’re anticipating that that’s gonna happen anyway. You’re providing those heads and tails just to give you the handles and the breathing room if you need it. But you anticipate those to a certain extent.

RC: One of the better entrances, I think, ever on Stargate here was Vala’s emergence from the Stargate. Whose idea was it for her to sort of back out that way?

AM: That was hers to do the double take.

RC: Yeah.

AM: I was looking right at that moment. I can’t remember. Did we use the shot through the legs?

RC: Yes.

AM: Yeah, OK.

RC: I love that shot.

AM: The James Bond.

RC: And then this scene, of course, you know, where there was… I don’t know whether the fans are aware of this or not, but there was some concern at all levels that maybe Michael looked a little bit too much like Ben and that people would confuse them. Certainly not when they’re close-up. But I could see that argument when you had a wide shot of them both in the same uniform running. So Michael…

AM: Two white guys.

RC: … grew his beard a little longer for this episode and for the first few and ultimately he got tired of it. Nobody really, I think…

AM: But he was totally game. When he came in, it was that –

RC: But nobody really felt, I think, after a while that there was any, you know, problem in terms of the confusion. Still, we had a little fun with it, with this line (limited gene pool) and I really enjoyed the way they played this.

AM: Well, the way we staged this was…

RC: The two-shot.

AM: Yeah. It was great.

RC: Everybody always says comedy plays better in a two-shot, right?

AM: Yeah. I intentionally brought them together for exactly that reason. In fact, we were at one point gonna dress them both in the greens too just to add a bit more to it.

RC: The other thing that a lot of people have reacted to, both positive and negative, is the sexiness of the Vala character. You kind of helped establish that in directing “Prometheus Unbound”. And obviously Claudia had a tremendous amount to do with that. But, you know, it was something different. I’m sure that for you it was, you know, a fresh flavour.

AM: Oh, absolutely.

RC: We sort of… We’re almost androgynous on SG-1. It’s sort of sex-free show. And I think a lot of audience kind of reacted to that. A lot of people kind of …Don’t expect that or even don’t want that in Stargate. It’s a family show. Certainly there’s a line that we don’t want to cross and that we want to be respectful. But I thought it was fun to have a character that was a little more aware and, you know, overtly sexual.

AM: Exactly. Exactly.

RC: Someone, who’s kind of… For us as writers, it’s always great to have what we call an “id” in the room, who can sort of speak their mind and not have any editing process.

RC: I don’t know how much you guys talked about that on the floor.

AM: Well, she had basically, I remember at the onset when we were first talking during preproduction of “Prometheus…” and she was asking: “Well, how far can I go with this character?” I just said: “Go nuts. Fill your boots.” I mean, this is a great opportunity that we haven’t really had before. And so she did and, you know, it was just let her go. I mean, that was literally it. I mean, we just had so much fun and when we shot “Prometheus…” it was a second-unit episode. We shot it almost exclusively as second unit. So we kind of felt like we weren’t being watched, you know. The kids were left alone in the sandbox with all the toys. So we just, you know, went for it.

Comment

Part 2 1/2

RC: Yeah, actually, I remember when I wrote that episode- Well, actually I didn’t write it. Damian Kindler wrote the first episode. What happened, the genesis of it was I came in and I pitched the story to Damian.

RC: He went away, wrote a draft of it. We talked about it. I explained to him that I had a take for the character that wasn’t in the draft that he had done. And I did a pass on that script. But everybody thought I had lost my mind. Whether it came out of boredom or just, you know –
                      But I said – You know, when I said: “We want to do a story about a super soldier who takes over the Prometheus. But turns out it’s a woman and she’s a bounty hunter, but she’s totally sexed up and, you know, tries to seduce Daniel and all that.” They were all just like: “What? What? Have you lost your mind?” And anyway, so, you know, I feel like it’s one of the things that I’m grateful that enough of our fans have continued to accept that we do change the show. And we bring new things in and we evolve the show. We bring new characters, we try new things. You can’t do a show for nine, 10 years without doing that.

AM: No, absolutely.

RC: Or it just would be incredibly stagnant, and you know what? Some of it works for some people and some of it doesn’t. But for all of us we are just tickled by her character and by Claudia. I know it’s for her, it’s like a giant ice cream sundae because she’s been, you know… She was so sort of a different character on Farscape. She was the straight man.

AM: This is the polar opposite.

RC: You know, she was the straight man and now she’s getting to do all the yacks.

AM: Love her or hate her. She elicits a strong response.

RC: So this scene here was the first of two of what we called: “The roundy-round scenes”. The second became more infamous. We’ll talk about that in the second – When we get to it in the second episode. You know, the other thing that I wanted to kind of get your opinion on was… You know, I think I had – I don’t know when I became aware of it, but between season eight and nine I think I felt as though people had come to believe that there was a rule for how to shoot SG-1. That we had maybe people on the floor, as we call it, or in the crew believed as though the people in the ivory tower had certain ideas about how the show was supposed to be shot…

AM: The “how-comer” by the way is what it’s affectionately referred to as the “how-comer”.

RC: But I came to you at the beginning and aside of putting enormous pressure on you by saying: “This is a pilot, Andy! It better be good!” I also remember saying: “Throw out that rule book if it even exists.”

AM: Yes, you did. You did, absolutely.

RC: And I’m curious, besides the use of more maybe oners, a little more movement, how did you consciously approach the show differently than you may have in the past stylistically.

AM: Well, interestingly enough, there wasn’t really all that much concerted effort made to try to address that note. Because even though I went into it and during the preparation of the episode I was trying to think in those terms…

RC: So you just ignored me?

AM: So basically I… What was that again what Rob told me earlier?

RC: Yeah, yeah. Style. Style.

AM: OK, I’ll go a little bit lower and maybe use wide-angle lens. Once we started actually shooting and getting onto the floor and getting working again, then it just became what felt right.

Comment

Once more, thank you very much.

A.
                        VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

Thanks FH, I love the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Banner by angelfire east

Comment

Thanks so much for going to all this trouble FormerHost. I really enjoy hearing all the thoughts behind the scenes and how they are portrayed.

Love the choices of Ben and Claudia... touches that really add to a scene and man, you can really see why Ben is a lead actor... So involved, so dedicated and willing to put so much time into his craft. It must be inspirational for young actors to watch and learn from.

Thanks again.

Comment

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

This part was much better because they talked about what was going on on the screen. Great stuff!

Are you going to continue within this thread? I'm going to have to subscribe, so I don't miss anything good...

THANK YOU!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X