This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
    I thought the replicators opened the door so the Furlings got out? That's what you said earlier atleast.
    You're right, that's what Mio said !
    And now they cannot be stopped !
    So hide and remember....THE FURLINGS ARE COMING !!!

sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

No. The replicators openned the door, and the Furlings Destroyed them.

However, they aren't very smart, and accidentally locked it on themselves again.
      sigpic

Comment

I think the furlings are those teddies from StarWars but as you know they live in a galaxy far far away so we will probably not meet them.

Comment

First, I think it's obvious that Furlings would have nothing to do with "fur" since it's an alien name like "Asgard" or "Nox", which also have no meaning in english.

But since it is Stargate and they could just make up something like "the Ancients spoke english and they named the Furlings" (ha), it still doesn't have to have anything to do with fur. What if it's not "fur - lings" but "<a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=furl">furl</a> - ings"? A very reclusive, introspective civilization that could close up regions of space or something (hence, furl)? And maybe they furled themselves up to get away from everything? Such a thing is not unheard of in sci-fi, the Nox are kinda like that and I've read sci-fi books where the concept is central to the plot. Alastair Reynolds' work comes to mind. Man, he's a good author...

Comment

Yes, they might not be furry at all. Like some poster previously mentioned, they might even be the giant alien race daniel's grandfather now reside with.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

I think the furlings will be a race we never get to see. I would love to see them, but i think it would be to much to introduce them now, we just learnt of the ancients.

Comment

They should have their own spin-off

Comment

Okay, here's a dumb idea because the name "Ancients" is bothering me. I just can't see how the "Ancients" would call themselves "The Ancients". They are "The Ancients" to us because they're really, really old, right? During their time, however, I can't see how they would refer to themselves as "The Ancients". (Ignoring the whole English-language-word-meaning thing...)

Maybe the Ancients are The Furlings?

(that's a joke, btw)
                  Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                  O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                  - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                  - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                  once done, cannot be undone...
                  brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                    Gremlings? or Gremlins? I like the Gremlins analogy...only they turn evil with a zat blast!

I wonder if anyone at Gatecon will ask the question of any TPTB that may be there. That would be nice, although I doubt we'll get a definitive answer.
                    I've always imagined them as looking like Lemings. You know, those little guys from the old video games?

Comment

There's billions of them!

Lemmings would be awsome!

Comment

Which is the joke, the Furlings=Ancients or the Ancients calling themselves Ancients. As was stated in previous threads, the term "Ancients" in their language probably did not mean Ancients. That would be like us becoming superadvanced in several million years and other races start using the word "Human" to mean really old. We never called ourselves old, it's just that our name for ourselves came to mean old when used by other races/cultures.

PS:
                        Lemmings would be awesome. Maybe that's why we don't see any of them anymore. They all followed eachother off a cliff or someone hit the nuke button.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                          Which is the joke, the Furlings=Ancients or the Ancients calling themselves Ancients.
                          Now that I think about it, either could be the joke.

As was stated in previous threads, the term "Ancients" in their language probably did not mean Ancients.
                          There's that whole English-language-word-meaning thing that acts like a big monkeywrench in scifi! If it doesn't mean "Ancients" in their language, then when SG-1 or Atlantis actually figure out what they called themselves, then we will have a new name, right? If we can translate it, then we should translate it. Maybe what they called themselves in their language really translates to "Big Kahunas". I understand calling them the "Ancients" now, but I guess we don't (yet) know what they called themselves then?

That would be like us becoming superadvanced in several million years and other races start using the word "Human" to mean really old. We never called ourselves old, it's just that our name for ourselves came to mean old when used by other races/cultures.
                          Actually, I was thinking it was more like someone living in the Dark Ages saying, "Hey, this is the Dark Ages. It'll get better one day! Soon we shall have the Middle Ages!" We only call it the Dark Ages now because the historical record shows that there was a general lack of cultural development between 500 and 1500AD. I don't think Peking Man thought of himself as Peking Man and I seriously doubt that Neanderthals thought of themselves as "Neanderthals", seeing as they probably didn't name the Neander Valley.
                          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                          once done, cannot be undone...
                          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

You know whenever i think about a "Furling" I can't help but think it sounds like a name for a baby Furby. i certainly hope furbies aren't one of the four races.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice^^Heat
                              Dudes,

Will the Furling issue be adressed in Season 8????
                              I think i remember reading somewhere that TPTB said they will not address the Furlings SG-1 now but they may at some point address them in Atlantis.
                              spook

Comment

I can't remember that, and I read everything

Comment

Working...
                                X