Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes me wonder how long the Aaschen lifespan is, exactly -- maybe they have innate patience or maybe it is the result of something or somethings else. They strike me as the type who would be cold, cruel psychological torturers who could keep an interrogation ongoing for years... I hope Faxon is still in good health!
    Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
    more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

"" Actually, I beleive the reason why dialling random addresses didn't work was due to the stellar drift. ""

Stellar drift doesn't mean a thing if you don't have the slightest idea whatsoever of what it is that is doing the drifting. Even if you know the amount of time in order to factor into your stellar drift equations, it would be useless for us because we have no idea which solar systems have stargates.
      Without a working DHD, no speed dialing was possible for SGC's stargate, compounding the problem further. It wasn't until Colonel O'Neill made a return trip to Abydos in the first episode of SG-1 that Daniel Jackson revealed what he had discovered in one of the Abydonian pyramids... a huge room with walls covered by the addresses of almost every stargate in the network. It was only then, by using Abydos' gate address as a base reference, was Carter able to calculate the time involved for stellar drift into her equations in order to make Earth's stargate function properly.
      The Ashen didn't have this advantage but now that they do know that there are thousands of stargates out there in the galaxy, they can rapidly catch up using their advanced computers and a functional DHD to speed dial. The Ashen will also likely have the added advantage of possessing more detailed astronomical star charts to help them narrow down the possible locations where stargates can be found. It will take time for them to get a decent idea of what the stargate network looks like, but as we have seen, the Ashen possess an abundance of patience.

Jack O'Neill's bloody warning from the future about the Ashen may only have postponed the inevitable.

Comment

"" That makes me wonder how long the Aaschen lifespan is ""

Knowing that the Ashen wiped out the Volian race with a "life-extending vaccine" which actually sterilized the Volians, plus the fact that they tried to bio bomb us once we figured out their true nature, I would have to guess that the Ashen are extremely advanced, especially in the field of biological sciences. It took about 200 years for their plan to wipe out the Volians to be completed. To the Ashen, they probably view a century's worth of time the same way we treat a decade's worth.

Therefore, I believe they possess a lifespan of hundreds, if not a thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil_U_Know
          Therefore, I believe they possess a lifespan of hundreds, if not a thousand years.
          Err, Aren't the aschen Human? Just really boring.

They probably only live like 200-250 years.
          sigpic

Comment

Haha... being boring is how they live so long! I wouldn't be surprised if they started to rid Earth of video games and all that too.

That sounds like a reasonable lifespan to me, though.

The bio-bomb serves as evidence that if they need to, the Aschen WILL take quick and drastic, and rather lethal action. They're just kind of slow most of the time.

TPTB have stated they're intent on completing the "Aschen trilogy", so I'm counting on that!

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version

Comment

I wonder when Carter got a look at a Tollan ship. [Season 6, Forsaken. Carter comments that the ship doesn't appear to be Tollan or anything else they've seen].
              I've also thought a bit about phase-shifting and energy weapons and I'm not sure if bolts of energy will pass through a phased individual [but they do pass through ascended beings ]. I think the phase shift devices generate a field which 'phases' everything in that field. It doesn't just affect something it's pointed at otherwise why did O'Niell have to hold Teal'cs hand?
              After Season 7's end, perhaps the Prometheus could go on a little trip to Tollana, at the very least for confirmation and maybe grab anything that may have been left behind.
              As for the Furlings, maybe they're based in another Galaxy like the Asgard, I also wonder if they had any run-ins with the replicators.
              The Aschen, how about an ironic Earth-Goa'uld alliance agains't them .
              Hey, if you'd been listening, you'd know that Nintendo's pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLancey
                I think the phase shift devices generate a field which 'phases' everything in that field. It doesn't just affect something it's pointed at otherwise why did O'Niell have to hold Teal'cs hand?
                I've always wonderred about that. The VFX departement make it appear that the phase device is pointed at some object or wall and then makes the object phase-shift so the user can walk through it. Maybe the object only partially shifts out of phase (so it's still "solidish" to the objects around it, like the ground) and the user of the device partially shifts out of phase so they are still solidish, but the object and the user are then completely out of phase with eachother so they can go through one another. Kind of like adding two sine waves together. If the world is sine wave A, then the user could be a sine wave shifted 90 degrees to the left and teh object could be a sine wave shifted 90 degrees to the right. The user's and the object's sine waves are now 180 degrees out of phase and will cancel eachother out. However, their sine waves are only 90 degrees out oh phase with the rest of the world, then they can't phase through anything else. The only question I have with the phase-shift technology I've seen is, why did O'Neill have to hold Teal'cs hand yet the cat (Schreoder?) who walked through the iris not have to be touching the user of the phase-shifting device?

Hmmm... seem to be off topic a bit. Sorry.

Comment

"" Err, Aren't the aschen Human? Just really boring.

They probably only live like 200-250 years. ""

Not necessarily, Mio. We all know it's possible for a human being to live for thousands of years. Just look at all the hosts for the Goa'uld, for example. The system lords Yu, Apophis, Ra, as well as Hathor inhabit human bodies that have been kept in good condition due to Goa'uld sarcophagus technology.
                  With the Ashen's advanced knowledge in biological sciences and other technologies, I wouldn't be surprised to find out if they also take "coffin" breaks to rejuvenate themselves. We already know that repeated use of the Goa'uld sarcophagus tech on a human mind and body is bad for you. If the Ashen are using this technology also, they could very well be suffering from the same effects as well.

It would certainly explain a lot about the Ashen's dull and boring nature.

Then again, they might also be employing cloning technology that is similar to what the Asgard use. They can xerox a guy but they left out the personality and a sense of humor.

Comment

I wonder if the Tollans possessed Goa'uld cloaking technology. We know that the To'kra and the Tauri repeatedly used it in their ships.

Imagine if you will a Tollan ship equipped with a phase-shift field generator AND a Goa'uld cloaking device. This "Phasing Cloak" defensive system would give Tollan vessels an almost unbeatable advantage.

I know that an episode from Star Trek Next Generation dealt with the concept of a phasing cloak being deployed on a starship.

It's too bad that Tollan arrogance got them WASTED. IF there are survivors from Annubis' assault, they must be really shellshocked. Hopefully they will snap out of it, crawl out from the hole that they are hiding in, and swallow their pride. I'm sure the SGC would grant these refugees asylum, but this time, it will definitely be on our terms. A Food For Tech program sounds about right unless they go crawling to the Nox again.

Comment

Note how advanced technology going hand-in-hand with arrogance is a common theme of the show? I'm not surprised

"No sense of humor" perhaps is related to genetics and could be considered a "cultural" aspect of the Aaschen. Even here on Earth, we have certain countries that are more associated with some types of humor than others (the unique British comedy comes to mind). I mean, look what the Swedish Chef did for Sweden! Ooops... that's a bad example But a better one would be, look at what is considered to be "everyday normal" in Japan which seems freakin' hilarious to us -- all those Flash videos sure do add up.

The Aschen may have their own "sense of humor", but we just don't get it. Maybe they laugh in private after sadistically sterilizing entire races. Can you imagine Boren, finger to his lips like Dr. Evil... MUHAHAHAHA

Comment

The Ashen's emotional unattachment was a hint of something much darker... a window to their true nature. By their actions we already know how calculating and cold-blooded these people are. Their absense of any noticeable humor or personality could very well be the end result of the technologically sterile society in which they live in.

The Ashen's advanced technology has basically robbed them of their souls and their humanity.

Comment

Here is why I don't think the Ashen are a serious threat

- The excitement when he said "we already have what we need" walking off with the laptop with the 10 addresses was about as giddy as I've ever seen an Ashen. They will probably have dialed #1 on the list, opening a black hole, now the Ashen are quite smart but at the stage the black hole was at the time dialation would be horrendously bad, even if they covered the gate. It would take them centuries to close the gate, assuming the tidal forces didn't translate through and destroy the planet they were on (they would probably dial from the Volian world, but it would still probably end their forray with gate exploration due to the risk factor)

- You need a set of un-re-mapped coordinates to map out new ones by compensating for stellar drift. The only reason Earth could do it is that they had the cartouche from Abidos, the Ashen have 10 addresses (13 actually, earth, volian, and their planet) with this they could figure out that the addresses are 6 points in space and point of origin, however you can't just look at a starchart and pick a planet and say "here, let's figure out the address", there are trillions of planets in the galaxy and afaik there only thousands of gates, so that would be an excercise in futility. The ONLY way to know which planets have a gate on them, is to find a list of planets that have gates on them (earth has the cartouche data and O'neill's additions)

- The Ashen are not big risk takers, so it is unlikely that they would even conduct exploration of the gate system even if they could figure out addresses (if they try any on the list the SGC gave them they may loose their taste for gate travel )

- We don't even know if they have hyperdrive or fast hyperdrive or what, the Tolan had hyperdrive but the trip to Earth was hundreds of years. So you could be more advanced than say the Goa'uld (like the Tolan) and not have ships that are as fast. I find it unlikely they had hyperdrive as their territory is confined to such a small area. That, or they just don't feel like exploring because of the risks involved.

- In the 2010 future, SG-1 retires and the replicators are likely never stopped, leaving the asgard SOL, that isn't the case anymore so if the Ashen show up they may have a problem on their hands (since the Asgard manufacture their own bodies, and can live WITHOUT bodies via conciousness transferall to computer, the Ashen bio weapons would be useless even if they could penetrate the shields) since the Asgard now have some breathing room with the replicators and may now be able to protect planets in our galaxy

Overall the Ashen COULD make an appearance, but I doubt it, and frankly I don't like them as villains. Villains need to have personalities and weapons that make big explosions.

Comment

Regarding the Aschen, I remember that Sen. Kinsey, the sleaze ball politico, was hot to tort to ally with the Acschen in 2001, and was President, under the Aschen, in 2010. When you consider that he told Dr, Weir in Lost City I that "You don't know what my agenda is"..... Hmmmmm.

Comment

Kinsey, at least in an official capacity is now out of the picture. I don't think we've seen the last of him either.

Comment

1. Aschen: They are assumed to be weak currently. Seriously, Earth almost perished when they activated to a blackhole. As someone said, the Aschen depend on patient. They have really slow ships. That's why all of the Aschen planets are close together. If they were smart, they probably tried to access the stargate on another planet, however, it seems illogical because they barely had any other addresses. Once one planet is sucked, near bye planets get effected too. They have slow ships, they're not gonna get anywhere.

2. Tollan: They're toast. Maybe there are surviviors, but theres doubt. The stargate was not made of naquadah and could have been easily destroyed and Anubis had alot of arsenal. The Tollan were so cocky in their ways that they depended on those ion cannons. They barely had any other defense methods. There might be a tollan or two in the forest, hiding. But Stargate has no intention, as of yet, to have an episode including them.

3. Hathor: She's dead. I think Amaterasu might replace her in that 'b**chy' type of way.

4. Furlings: We might never know. Stargate doesnt and shouldnt be so convenient that we learn about every race that once stood in the galaxy. I think its excellent that the show has not shown the Furlings. It makes it more appealable to the viewers and adds a curiosity to the universe. It's so big. We'll never learn it all.

Comment

Working...
                                X