• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
    How do I get 2.4 or 2.3?
    Here:

http://download.blender.org/release/

Comment

Originally posted by Naquadah_nut View Post
      He says 1000 per minute not second thats easily doable with current tech, just not in a rail gun
      Modern gas-operated automatic weapons can have a rate of fire as high as 1000 rounds per minute, and multi-barrel rotary weapons like Gatling guns have been tested at rates in excess of 6000 rounds per minute. Rate of fire is no problem with chemical propellants. It's when you use electricity that you encounter problems. current electricity-powered weapons like rail- and coilguns have fire rates of 1-2 shots per hour. I think that SG tech could easily fix that.

Comment

is that because of energy requirements, or time take to build up?

sigpic

Comment

both. it requires so much power that modern Railguns get their energy from a small building filled with supercapacitors.

that's why the first implementation will be in the Navy. on a nuclear submarine or nuclear cruiser, energy isn't as much of a problem.

Comment

The Navy had intended to build their newest class of destroyers with an all-electric propulsion and weapons suite. The technology that is required for that is still being developed, and has many bugs to be worked out, and the ships have been canceled. In addition to the power generation, railguns have some serious problems as well, many of which would not be applicable to coilguns, which is why I chose them as the projectile weapons of the FQ-352. (I believe that tere is a thread somewhere with the argument between coil and rail guns, but I can't find it again. )

Comment

The problem with rail-guns is the rails. They wear out.

Presumably, naquadah alloys solve this problem in the stargate-'verse.
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

They probably throw some trinium in to reduce the flexing of the rails that the tremendous electromagnetic forces produce.
                Here is the section of the wikipedia article on railgun problems

The power supply must be able to deliver large currents, sustained and controlled over a useful amount of time. The most important gauge of power supply effectiveness is the energy it can deliver. As of December 2010, the greatest known energy used to propel a projectile from a railgun was 33 megajoules.[6] The most common forms of power supplies used in railguns are capacitors and compulsators which are slowly charged from other continuous energy sources.

The rails need to withstand enormous repulsive forces during shooting, and these forces will tend to push them apart and away from the projectile. As rail/projectile clearances increase, arcing develops, which causes rapid vaporization and extensive damage to the rail surfaces and the insulator surfaces. This limited some early research railguns to one shot per service interval.
                You're probably right, though. Throw in naquahdah, to increase the strength and conductivity of the rails. Although, would the naquadah explode from the amount of energy passing through it, or would it amplify it, enabling lower feed power?

Comment

As long as it has an outlet, I assume it just amplifies it. It only explodes when it's allowed to build up energy past its threshold, a la Redemption.
                  sigpic

Comment

would love to see your link you should put it back up

Comment

link what???

sigpic

Comment

i assume the fleet archive

Comment

If that's the case, it should still be up ...

Still needs updating, though; that was just the first issue. I've got more to go, yet.
                          sigpic

Comment

update on my Apis Class ship

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                              update on my Apis Class ship

Spoiler:
                              [IMG]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/952/49125740.jpg[/IG]
                              Looking good

I dropped mine

Comment

is it broken?

Comment

Working...
                                X