Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"150m" falls under about Frigate, Crusier, or Heavy Gunboat ("Heavy" for its Anti-Capital Ship Weapons). Destroyer would be 225m or more. 450m or more (the actual length of the Daedalus) would be Battleship, Battlecrusier, or Carrier.
    I don't think there's any hard and fast rule as to what size ship classes have to fall under, and the roll of the ship I envisioned doesn't really have a real world precident I could think of. The closest thing in role that comes to mind is a torpedo boat but there's something of a problem with that designation. It doesn't use torpedos. It's at least as much a destroyer as the Daedalus is a carrier in any case.

Besides it's the concept that matters more than the name and the concept is sound.

Earth is low on resources so the ships design is very no frills and easy to construct. Crew numbers would be low and it carries a weapon suitable for attacking the larger ships of Earth's enemies.

The reason my ships don't tend to have a lot in common with the Daedalus is because the Daedalus isn't actually a very good desgin. It can't decide if it want's to be a carrier or a missile cruiser and both roles suffer as a result. The carrier part is nearly useless in a military capacity and takes up about half of the ships usable volume, which could have been used to triple the number of missiles it holds.

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
    Why don't you try designing a dedicated space carrier, using the materials required to build a DSC-304? It can be as simple as making the flight pods bigger, to putting four flight pods together into a single, double-hull with a flattop holding it together, to anything involving using the technology and materials involved in building a Daedalus. What do you say?
    The problem with creating a carrier class without expanding at all upon what's currently available is that there's nothing to carry.

The 302 fighter is more defensive in nature, if not a complete waste of time entirely, and it's certainly not going to be suitable for attacking other capital ships as a carrier's craft should. You could retrofit them with nukes I suppose but that's a poor stop gap solution given that they weren't designed to carry the extra weight and their flight characteristics could be compromised.

If I was just going to modify a Daedalus hull to carry more of them for some reason the easiest way to do it would be to remove the "neck" thing and replace it with a third, slightly larger flightpod. You could then add an extra deck or two to the top of the center section to make up fo some of the lsot space. What you'd get out of that other than a ship that's almost entirely helpless though I don't know.

Comment

Uhm, so I think that I have created the ugliest starship in the history of the world. In fact, I call it the USAFV Crap of the universe. And don't worry, it's in there somewhere.
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
      http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Howard69/atop.png

Comment

it looks alright why is it ugly?
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

You did click the one under all the spoiler things right? o_0

Comment

yeah...lol...whats wrong with it?
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

It's not ugly but your other ones were ideed better.

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                Well, I was bored, and felt like drawing something. But I didn't really have any ideas for anything, so I decided I would go backwards through the thread and draw a ship based on the first sketch thing I saw. Which was Davidtourniquets Icarus. Yeah, so here it is.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/aicarus2.png

Hope I didn't make ya mad redrawing your ship, but I thought you might want a more detailed version. >> It has only two differences. I flattened the point on the end and decreased the number of engines. I could always change that though. Yeah..so anyway, I thought it looked pretty cool. I'll make a front and possible a rear view later.
                The engines are fine, except there needs to be one on each of the ends. For the booster engines. It looks great and glad you could make something of it from the top-view design.

Comment

I think it looks horrible. o_o I'm redesigning it with a totally different layout.

Comment

Yeah. Glad you like it. As for the engines I can do this. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...arus145611.png

That's as close as I can get them to the ends unless the boosters were attached to the canopy, which I could probably do.

Comment

Thats fine as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                        Well, let's see... There have been so many. I'll just make a list:

Fighters
                        Just the EA-302, which was a cloak-capable version of the F-302.

Support craft

There was the Albatross, the first version of the Pegasus, and a large, multi-role transport ship called the Ranger.

Destroyers
                        The several versions of the Abydos, plus another I named the Longinuss. I drew a destroyer that Kaiphantom designed named the Vortex.

Cruisers
                        One for Earth (the Serenity-class) and one built by the Tollan, named Gladius-class.

Battleships
                        Just two, really: Endeavor and Bahamut. I also made an upgraded version of the Prometheus.

Carriers

The Aegis.

I just can't help it when inspiration strikes, LOL.
                        See i said you had a fleet of your own
                        I loved the columbia AJT, i really did, if you ever wanted a ship that would resolve the three Battle carrier situations up in the fleet thread, i think that ship would. Just a thought.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                          yeah...lol...whats wrong with it?
                          I agree with Buba. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. The side view almost seems elegant.

Comment

Its like a slimline deadalus, were doing what ipod did to the ipod mini, making it harder to hit the buttons.
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                              Its like a slimline deadalus, were doing what ipod did to the ipod mini, making it harder to hit the buttons.
                              Or making it harder for the Ori to hit the ship.

Comment

yeah in the fight against the ori smaller more manueverable but still heavily armed ships would be far more effective

Comment

Working...
                                X