Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to start another scaling argument...
    But I have never scaled Atlantis and I just did from the Rodney standing at the edge of the city.
    The ledge measured 104' tall in CAD and the distance from the longest to the shortest branch of the city is at or just under one mile long. The number was 5,252.6 Feet

The six hundred meter long Daedalus would be half the city's diameter.
    at 300 meters it could fit within one of the snow flakes perfectly.
    ALX...

As far as I'm concerned this confirms your models numbers for Daedalus.

Comment

Okay actually it came out to 2.44 miles tip to tip.
      Still inconclusive.

Comment

so umm what do you think of the updates(hangars) of my 501 ALX?
        (its a couple of pages back)
        sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

new update
          sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
            Create two FILES!!

Don't erase it, you're doing great. When you have a computer that can handle it. This detail is too good to lose.

And ALX remember the Insides of the City branches are Star Drives on the opposite so they are hollow just inset to all of the sea to come in.
            The Star Drive is one part I haven't seen anyone do and I really really really hope you do it.
            the original detailed mesh wasnt going to work as it was simply overkill and my outer couldnt handle it and i have since removed alot of detail in places (polyhog objects) but the overall qual is much the same but i know have some polys to use for the central city.

and dont worry i know the layout of the city like the back of my hand including the sea inlets for the central water features.

as for the stardrive, i have seen many make cityships that include it and i want to add it myself but frankly i cant afford the polys atm as i need as many as i can get for the central city.

Not to start another scaling argument...
            But I have never scaled Atlantis and I just did from the Rodney standing at the edge of the city.
            The ledge measured 104' tall in CAD and the distance from the longest to the shortest branch of the city is at or just under one mile long. The number was 5,252.6 Feet

The six hundred meter long Daedalus would be half the city's diameter.
            at 300 meters it could fit within one of the snow flakes perfectly.
            ALX...

As far as I'm concerned this confirms your models numbers for Daedalus.
            Okay actually it came out to 2.44 miles tip to tip.
            Still inconclusive.
            well i think atlantis was never meant to be viewed to scale like that but a common scaling is 3.2-4km in diameter and that sort of makes sence. and as usual i am not fuzzy about having my mesh perfectly scaled and im more concerned about it looking the part.
            im more of a design and look kinda guy then a tech, scale, function guy and everytime someone rambles scales tech or function i loose all intrest like that scrubs episode where some girls mentions shoeshopping and the guys go to another place in their minds.

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
            so umm what do you think of the updates(hangars) of my 501 ALX?
            (its a couple of pages back)
            well they look familiar sort of similar to the ones i stuck on the Titan.

Comment

Wow scales again, well ill stay out unless there is some dire post.
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

here is how she stands atm.

a keen eye will notice what i have removed.

mesh stats:
                SU: polys/faces 800k+
                exported (triangulated) mesh 1.7million polys.

before i removed some stuff
                SU: polys 1.2million
                exported 2.4million.

my puter can only handle about 2.7mil polys so i need to save as many as i can wherever i can.

Comment

And a front view with an untextured water surface.

Comment

How about doing a separate file for the stardrive?

Comment

How about doing a separate file for the stardrive?
                      well first of all everything you see in the last two renders i posted is a separate file/object
                      the problem is if i put them all toghether in a scene and try to render all i get is "unsufficient memory for render" and the software lags horribly and for that reason im not gonna add the drive yet, instead ill wait and see how the polycount looks when i have the main city made and if i then have some polys to spare i wil most likely add the drive

Comment

Spoiler:

I've done some more of my ship

Comment

looks awesome
                          Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                          sigpic

Comment

Here are two views of a first generation StarDrive Vessel. It isn't exactly meant to be for Stargate but I wanted to get some reactions on its current form and this is the only place I could think of.

Spoiler:

So What do you think about it at this rough stage?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              -snip

I've done some more of my ship
                              its looking great PH and very realistic, the only thing that is a slight eyesore on it atm is the obvius segementation on the circular thingys protecting the fanblades so if you sort that you have yourself a winner imo

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                              Here are two views of a first generation StarDrive Vessel. It isn't exactly meant to be for Stargate but I wanted to get some reactions on its current form and this is the only place I could think of.

So What do you think about it at this rough stage?
                              i donno its pretty basic and teribly jaggy but the concept looks like a interplanetary ship design taken directly from NASA.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                                i donno its pretty basic and teribly jaggy but the concept looks like a interplanetary ship design taken directly from NASA.
                                Well this is just part of the outer superstructure and the engine's exhaust vent thingy so it isn't anywhere near a finished design.

The whole idea was to make it look like something that could be built in the next year or so, I mean do you seriously think that we would build a 304 if we suddenly figured out FTL travel? No we would most likely integrate the StarDrive system into a spaceship design that we already knew would work. Because of that, and the fact that I have wanted to make a design like this for a while now, I decided to go with the 'primitive' and jaggy design you saw.

Comment

Working...
                                X