This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
    ok you do realize that you need to take into account perspective right?
    ok do you realize that I have done this before?
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

There is still the issue of the framing artistic license.. getting the whole ship in the shot at the expense of ship scaling canon accuracy..

Comment

and yet the actual cgi artists for SG keep saying you're wrong
        sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
          and yet the actual cgi artists for SG keep saying you're wrong
          I have one email from Rainmaker Animation about my scales. Where is your source of information?
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I've seen that e-mail too It should still be at ship scaling sprites topic?

Trust me Setsuna, Bob's right on this one.

Comment

I always trust bob's scales, seyei get ready for a master class!

Bob remember ethon...a few great shots of the new look prometheus after its total refit, including its new look hangers.

sigpic

Comment

Alright then folks here is a simple exercise forget about scaling sprites etc, I have done my own and came up with 3 different sizes, ranging from 230mtrs to 375mtrs, but no where near 600.
                But lets look at some realities for a moment

A F302 is about the same size as a F14 Tomcat. When you look at film of a Tomcat launching from a CVN, and you see a 302 coming out of a BC304, the scales visually are about on par, so it would be utterly impossible for a 304 to be over 300 mtrs.

That should be enough without getting into who's right and wrong, trust only your eyes I would think in this case
                My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                  Alright then folks here is a simple exercise forget about scaling sprites etc, I have done my own and came up with 3 different sizes, ranging from 230mtrs to 375mtrs, but no where near 600.
                  But lets look at some realities for a moment

A F302 is about the same size as a F14 Tomcat. When you look at film of a Tomcat launching from a CVN, and you see a 302 coming out of a BC304, the scales visually are about on par, so it would be utterly impossible for a 304 to be over 300 mtrs.

That should be enough without getting into who's right and wrong, trust only your eyes I would think in this case
                  But they're not the same size, the 302 is wider and shorter and the F-14 is longer and narrower.
                  sigpic
                  ----DeviantArt----

Comment

shows the reliability of the CGI people

Comment

I said about the same physical size, in actual fact a Tomcat on the ground next to a 302, would appear to be larger when you a looking at a side profile view, which is how you would see a launch from a CVN

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                        I said about the same physical size, in actual fact a Tomcat on the ground next to a 302, would appear to be larger when you a looking at a side profile view, which is how you would see a launch from a CVN
                        yes, only because its a side view and the f-302 is shorter.
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

F-14
                          # Length: 19.1 m
                          # Wingspan:

* Spread: 19.55 m
                          * Swept: 11.58 m

F-302
                          # Length: 11.20 m
                          # Wingspan: 21.50 m

or bob's

F-302
                          # Length: 10.46 m
                          # Wingspan: 20.02 m

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                            F-14
                            # Length: 19.1 m
                            # Wingspan:

* Spread: 19.55 m
                            * Swept: 11.58 m

F-302
                            # Length: 11.20 m
                            # Wingspan: 21.50 m

or bob's

F-302
                            # Length: 10.46 m
                            # Wingspan: 20.02 m
                            So indeed, thanx Merlin, that is my impression also. As I said, when taken visually in scale, with only your eyes as a ruler, a F14 against a CVN and a F302 coming out of the BC304, gives you the image of pretty close to sameness. A Nimitz CVN is about 330mtrs long I think

Comment

Using the same scales as mentioned above bob scaled the 304 at over 550 m in length.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                                Using the same scales as mentioned above bob scaled the 304 at over 550 m in length.
                                One of aspects of cinematography is what they call best fit. When using a CGI, they will determine how the structure will fit the scene and the viewers perspective on screen. So it's all in the mixture of combining green screen views with on camera views and set takes. A CGI that is perhaps scaled at say 300 metres or so, will at times appear to be bigger or smaller, depending on how they wish it to fit in the directors vizytube (the little telescope thing he uses to get the "feel" of the shot) They don't see the CGI in the filming until after the green screen shots are mixed by the CGI people, and then size is entirely up to the director, whether it looks right or not. So when scaling of screen shots, it's extremely adhoc, you will never get the actual size

Comment

Working...
                                X