Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So basically you just take basic shapes and fiddle with them until they are 3D and look right with the rest of your ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
      That's alright its your ship. My pet peeves should have no effects on it.

Anywho I decided to make a short scene with my Small Multi-Mission Starship.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Spoiler:

Not exactly the best thing ever but considering its my first time trying something quite like this I don't think that I did so bad.
      Pretty good, But that for Sketchup, You should try rendering it with something.
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

So basically you just take basic shapes and fiddle with them until they are 3D and look right with the rest of your ship?
        Well if you're in SketchUp then it's a different process I believe. I didn't get too advanced in SketchUp, but with Lightwave you basically always start with a block. Well there are many ways to do it, that's how I always go. So I begin with an object that is 3D and I shape it into whatever I want, then rotate it accordingly and yes, a lot of the time it takes a lot of tweaking, especially on surfaces that have strange angles and such. Lightwave makes it pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

With SketchUp I was always under the impression that you pretty much had to draw the greebles onto the ship. Like I said though, I didn't use it very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
          Well if you're in SketchUp then it's a different process I believe. I didn't get too advanced in SketchUp, but with Lightwave you basically always start with a block. Well there are many ways to do it, that's how I always go. So I begin with an object that is 3D and I shape it into whatever I want, then rotate it accordingly and yes, a lot of the time it takes a lot of tweaking, especially on surfaces that have strange angles and such. Lightwave makes it pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

With SketchUp I was always under the impression that you pretty much had to draw the greebles onto the ship. Like I said though, I didn't use it very much.
          It's easy once you know what to use and how to use it. Hense => me
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
            It's easy once you know what to use and how to use it. Hense => me
            Yeah, Bobertho would be a better person to ask on tips on how to greeble haha, or anyone who uses the same program. There are probably lots of tutorials on it too.

But I guess the same principles apply to both. It's kind of hard to strike a balance between a tasteful level of detail and a cluttered mess. For instance RJB's ships have crazy amounts of detail on them yet they really look nice because of how he does it.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
              Pretty good, But that for Sketchup, You should try rendering it with something.
              What do you mean by "try rendering it with something" are you advising me to render the model with another program and if so then what program I don't have anything fancy just Sketchup Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and Paint.

Comment

this is just a simple Cargo ship i built. one on the left is the Ship without the cargo pods, the one on the right is the ship with them

Spoiler:
                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                  this is just a simple Cargo ship i built. one on the left is the Ship without the cargo pods, the one on the right is the ship with them

Spoiler:
                  That reminds me of the movie Space Truckers for some odd reason. So is that cargo ship meant for the Stargate universe or is it just something you made up? And if it is for the Stargate universe what race has the infrastructure in place to unload something like that?

Comment

That reminds me of the movie Space Truckers for some odd reason. So is that cargo ship meant for the Stargate universe or is it just something you made up? And if it is for the Stargate universe what race has the infrastructure in place to unload something like that?
                    Stargate. i was thinking it could be a human ship when space travel and the colonization of other planets and space is nothing realy new. It would dock in say a space station, or in an Orbiting O'neill class Cylinder colony and have the cargo pods unlanched and lowered down or secured and then unoaded, then the ship leaves for its next asignemnt. Its not a military ship, its a mass production civilian cargo freighter used by private companys. To have the pods reattached would basicly be the sam process as it is to take them off, just in reverse. Since its a mass production ship its realativly affordable but dosnt have like beaming technology. No weapons either and only a shielding system that can protect it in planetary reentrie or from space durbrie.

Comment

It's still a pretty cool ship but for me its always been about the Medium sized ships whether for combat or cargo I like them the most. Of course I end up designing things that are fairly large but I still like the smaller starships.

Comment

It's still a pretty cool ship but for me its always been about the Medium sized ships whether for combat or cargo I like them the most. Of course I end up designing things that are fairly large but I still like the smaller starships.
                        well it has the capasity of modern day medium carg ship today

Comment

I'm saddened to say that I have no idea how much a medium sized cargo ship can carry in this day and age.

Since this is a ship design thread and I've yet to receive that much of an impact with this ship I'll post another picture of it.

Spoiler:

Here it is, the Eindeloos Loopkat which is dutch for Endless Traveler or something like that.

This ship is 50 meters long a bit over 13 meters tall and 15.1 meters wide. It has two x-699 inspired energy cannons which are roughly equal in damage output to death glider cannons, they also have a fairly decent cone of accuracy. It has one main engine and one secondary engine as well as two over sized hyperspace flashdrives allowing for exceptionally fast travel at the expense of long range.

Comment

What do you mean by "try rendering it with something" are you advising me to render the model with another program and if so then what program I don't have anything fancy just Sketchup Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and Paint.
                            I don't know, I think there are programs that Render Sketchup models. I think ones begins with a K
                            sigpic
                            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Podium, it renders in-sketchup, simple to use.

Comment

Kerkythea or something along those lines.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Working...
                                X