This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
    Certainly not, as long as it's within reason. There are plenty of good ships with shields that are better than the Daedalus's. Of course, saying that a ship has Atlantis-strength shields without a ZPM is probably fanwank. But I doubt you mean anything like that.
    No not even close. I mean they can be brought down, but they can take some connsiderable punishment. Thats the point of this Battleship is to take punishment, and beable to dish out some heavy blows.
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Dont care if it aint a ship. Im gona post it. Its an emblem for Earth or something.

Spoiler:

Comment

looking at what nations on earth usually do is create a flag, so i think a falg would be better.

it might be a bit "trekky" but a flag with a picture of Earth on it would, I think be better.

to make sure to NOT get much discussions on when something is fanwank, it might be useful to make clear rules of what is fanwank and what is not.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

I really like it actually. Could we use it for the symbol for the shield in 3.0?

\0/ = Shield /0\ = Tauri
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
            I really like it actually. Could we use it for the symbol for the shield in 3.0?

\0/ = Shield /0\ = Tauri
            That's an interesting idea. An inversion of the emblematic "pyramid with sun" of the Tau'ri... or a perversion, depending on one's point of view.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

fanwank is a rather vague term, but mostly exceeds said race's power. for example, an earth ship with ZPM's (unless the history clearly states it is a one of a kind ship/has a good explanation)

the problem is asgard tech. asgard shields cant really be enhanced because they already are terribly strong and we petty humans cant improve them. the ACC can only draw upon its memory, and it cant upgrade tech unless the upgrades are uploaded.

what IS possible, is to have a more redundant and robust shield generator. so not more powerfull than a 304(although you only need more power), but it doesnt leak as fast, and it doesnt "fail" as fast and take damage.

Comment

So lets say, I come up with a ship, that COULD, I dont say is, but clearly say COULD be powered by a ZPM, it is not fanwank? For we have the technology.

But if I say a ship IS powered by a ZPM, it is fanwank, unless there is a clear and logical explanation for it

www.darkarmada.nl
                www.runescape.com

Comment

if you dont want to walk the narrow path of fanwank/not fanwank, then just design something simper and more original

Comment

I know. and i tried to, but it was stated as a bit over powered. Which could be true. But then again is within the Tauri capability. Is it not within there capability to have 2 to 3 Asgard Plasma Beam Weapons on a ship?

Or to have a cloak, the only, possible fanwank thing would be the torpedoes. Which don't have to be ether. For planting a nuc in naquada casing with an engine pod and sort is not impossible. Firring those things at a high speed is not impossible ether, for if the torpedoes are launched they could be spat out like bullets normally are. (same principle, as normal rockets, bet these would go at a higher velocity and with more of a bang when impacting)

Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by locutes View Post
                    Ok, my idea is based, not on, bigger is better, but smaller is better.

I rather like the big bad a$$ warships, but those simply do not fit, the right profile.

D-101 / Battle Bird
                    Length: 68m
                    width: 75m
                    height: 12m
                    decks: 4
                    crew: min 6, normal 12, max 50
                    marines: min 0 normal 20 max 60
                    used by: Earth Nations, mostly Dutch Royal Navy and Belgian Defense Force. Travelers.
                    armaments:
                    ----energy: 2 forward Asgard Plasma Beam Weapons, 1 rear APBW, 8 forward Al'Kesh Staff Canons (anti fighters)
                    ----ballistic: 2 forward Torpedo Launcher, 1 rear Torpedo Launcher
                    defenses: Asgard Shields, enhanced Al'Kesh cloak
                    engines: Asgard hyperdrive, sublight engines comparable to an f-304, maneuvering thrusters
                    fighters: none
                    additional systems:Asgard Transporters, Rings, 8 chevron DHD, Asgard Computer Core Replica, Neural Weapons Interface
                    power core, 7 Naquadah generators, capability of being powered by a ZPM

design,

It's based mostly on a Romulan 22th century Bird of Prey. A nice sleek body, with up going wings ( V style) like those utilized bye a K'Vort class, also with the down going tips normal for a Klingon BoP (2 Asgard Plasma Beam Weapons mounted on the tips, in the upgoing wings the modified Staff Cannons are mounted.
                    A head (on the from of the ship) somewhat looking like a Goa'uld Staff weapon with the forward torpedo launchers in it, at the rear of the ship a Rear Castle like a Fluyt class ship utilised by the VOC with the rear torpedo launcher.

Its a highly maneuverable ship, small but powerful for its size. She's meant for short range tactical missions, but capable of surviving on its own for 3months if required.

Battle tactics,

She's not meant for a full assault, she's meant for hit 'n run tactics, she can handle a full scale assault if in a combat croup of 3+ ships, but alone she's to vulnerable, for she cant defend herself against ships flanking her. Her shields are strongest head on and she can handle large poundings on her rear.

Torpedoes,

Frankly these torpedoes are Naquadah casings with an engine pod and a Naquadah enhanced Nuclear warhead, controlled by a neural interface.
                    They are not that maneuverable but will follow the target they were launched at.

DHD,

These ships have an 8 chevron DHD, utilized when a base needs bombing throe the Star Gate. Torpedoes are then fired throe the gate to detonate when rematerialized. This is to take out a base if its defenses are to strong to take out with a normal attack, like with the ZPM powered Hive Ship. This way the target can be taken out from the inside.

Atmospheric flight,

These ships can like Al'Kesh enter the atmosphere of a planet.

Service,

A few of these babies have seen action in the blocking of the Kassa trade. At first the Dutch Ryal Navy sent them on patrol alone but after destroying 5 Kassa Krains the Trains started to travel in packs and were defended, by some warships. The Lucian Alliance even joined the Ori for defense, and now the trains were also protected by the Ori.
                    Since then, the Dutch Royal Navy started to sent them in groups of 3. So far only 1 has been destroyed.

Also a few groups were sent to start hit and run attacks on the wraith, mimicking wraith or Genii weapons fire the wraith have not yet destroyed one of the ships. Some wraith factions that once were in alliance with each other are now at each others throats.

History,

These ships have been developed by the Dutch Royal Navy, The Belgian Defence Forces have also contributed large quantities of help developing these. The ships are manufactured on a planet under shared control (Dutch and Belgian).
                    Once the first successful ship was created and proved to be an asset, both the Royal Navy and the American Air force thought of making there own, but after careful consideration, it was decided not to, because these ships wouldn't uphold there image.

After the first ship that got destroyed America was sure they didn't ever wish one of these ships. They rather have there carriers.

please tell me what you think of it.

Locutes

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post

\0/ = Shield /0\ = Tauri
                      Sure fine with me I actully intended it to be the Symbol of some kind of United Earth Governemtn or something but yeah you can use it.

Oh and locutes the blue thing. That represents earth.

Edit: I changed it up alittle bit. Disregard the initials. (It stands for United Earth Federation if you are wondering)

Spoiler:
                      Last edited by FN-P90; 19 February 2009, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        fanwank is a rather vague term, but mostly exceeds said race's power. for example, an earth ship with ZPM's (unless the history clearly states it is a one of a kind ship/has a good explanation)

the problem is asgard tech. asgard shields cant really be enhanced because they already are terribly strong and we petty humans cant improve them. the ACC can only draw upon its memory, and it cant upgrade tech unless the upgrades are uploaded.

what IS possible, is to have a more redundant and robust shield generator. so not more powerfull than a 304(although you only need more power), but it doesnt leak as fast, and it doesnt "fail" as fast and take damage.
                        Well they are built to withstand some good punishment. More then a 304. I would say the weakness of my ship is one it has not fighter capabilites and its would be slow when it comes to sublight engins and not as manuverable as a 304. But it compensates with more sterdy shields and heavier weapons.

Comment

I threw a new ship together.

Spoiler:

Im not sure if to make those box thing engins or Hangers.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                            I threw a new ship together.

Spoiler:

Im not sure if to make those box thing engins or Hangers.
                            What about missile silos?

BOOM Baby! I'm Back!

Comment

its not easy to use sketch up, but i getting there

www.darkarmada.nl
                              www.runescape.com

Comment

Prototype:X-311
                                Name:none
                                Class:civilian transport

Length:~3000 feet
                                Width:~600 feet
                                Height:~200 feet

Power:
                                2x Naquadah reactors for Primary systems
                                2x Z.P.M. for defencive systems(read history)

Weapons:
                                none

Shields:
                                City-Ship shield(designs aquired from Atlantis database)

Propulsion:
                                Aurora-Class hyperdrive(designs aquired from Atlantis database)
                                Aurora-Class sub-light(designs aquired from Atlantis database)

Crew:
                                50 Staff and 450 passengers

Minimum Crew:
                                2 Staff

Maximum Capacity:
                                50 Staff and 900 passengers

History:
                                The X-311 was designed as a civilian transport vessel for after the Stargate Program was reviled to the Public.
                                Thanks to the efforts of Docter Meredith Rodney McKay, the Tau'ri were able to decypher the Atlantis database, and what they found shocked them.
                                They had found the designs for almost all Ancient technology, and using those designs they designed 2 ships, complete with ancient technology.
                                Due to the Atlantis database being translated the Tau'ri were able to succesfully construct Their first Z.P.M., allowing that the one Major General Jonathan Jack O'Neill built was all things considered a prototype, and using the process the Tau'ri were able to build 5 Z.P.M.s and they used all 5 in the designs of the 2 ships being built around the technology discovered in the Atlantis database.
                                The 2'nd ship being designed will be a fighting vessel.
                                No ships of this class have been layed down as of yet, but the first prototype will be layed out just after the 2nd of the Proteous-Class battleship is commisioned.
                                Last edited by timstro59; 20 February 2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X