Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know, but what I do know is that the engines have to stick out further back than the pods, or the ship looks unbalanced.

Comment

Presenting the RSF (Royal Space Force) ThunderChild class Frigate.

Crew- 2 shifts of 15

Length-171 foot
      Width-70 foot
      Height-70 foot

Weapons- 14 MKIII railguns, 6 missile tubes (18 missiles stored onboard), 3 large Caliber quad-barrel plasma cannons.

Alkesh Hyperdrive, Asgard Shields, Asgard Beaming. Four Mosquito Helo gunships or 2 PuddleJumpers/Gatejumpers.

History (Will contain spoilers for SGA finale)-
      Spoiler:
      After the events of EATG, where the Chinese vessel 'Tsun Tsu' and three/fourths of the USAF space fleet were crippled by a single Wraith vessel, Other members of the IOA started calling for more ship classes put into production that would quickly bolster the small Earth fleet.

With a new, rich, Trinium source found on P7X-Y55 by SG-27, the US government approved the creation of a new ship classification, A Frigate-Class ship, and the re-designing and return to duty of the BC-303 Prometheus-Class

Designed with the co-operation of Dr Bill Lee, Alec Coulson and a number of British scientists based at a secret research facility somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales the RSF (Royal Space Force, thus far nothing more than two Squadrons of F-302s based out of Ascension Island in the south Atlantic) submitted a design for a frigate to be crewed entirely by British personnel and operated solely by the RSF.

Named after the Torpedo ram from the original War Of the Worlds, the Thunderchild-Class was born and the first ship in it's class, also called Thunderchild, left the Area 51 dry dock on October 8th 2009 and went into full service January 15th 2010

Images- (Textures not finalised)

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
        Spoiler:
        Presenting the RSF (Royal Space Force) ThunderChild class Frigate.

Crew- 2 shifts of 15

Length-171 foot
        Width-70 foot
        Height-70 foot

Weapons- 14 MKIII railguns, 6 missile tubes (18 missiles stored onboard), 3 large Caliber quad-barrel plasma cannons.

Alkesh Hyperdrive, Asgard Shields, Asgard Beaming. Four Mosquito Helo gunships or 2 PuddleJumpers/Gatejumpers.

History (Will contain spoilers for SGA finale)-
        Spoiler:
        After the events of EATG, where the Chinese vessel 'Tsun Tsu' and three/fourths of the USAF space fleet were crippled by a single Wraith vessel, Other members of the IOA started calling for more ship classes put into production that would quickly bolster the small Earth fleet.

With a new, rich, Trinium source found on P7X-Y55 by SG-27, the US government approved the creation of a new ship classification, A Frigate-Class ship, and the re-designing and return to duty of the BC-303 Prometheus-Class

Designed with the co-operation of Dr Bill Lee, Alec Coulson and a number of British scientists based at a secret research facility somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales the RSF (Royal Space Force, thus far nothing more than two Squadrons of F-302s based out of Ascension Island in the south Atlantic) submitted a design for a frigate to be crewed entirely by British personnel and operated solely by the RSF.

Named after the Torpedo ram from the original War Of the Worlds, the Thunderchild-Class was born and the first ship in it's class, also called Thunderchild, left the Area 51 dry dock on October 8th 2009 and went into full service January 15th 2010

Images- (Textures not finalised)

Cool idea. Is that the same ship from the modelling challenge? If not it has borrowed parts right? Because it looks familiar haha.

Spoiler:

Okay so after receiving advice both here and on Calling All Stargate Fans, I decided that I would use the Colonial Defender engine layout for this ship, and throw the conventional Daedalus cylindrical-shaped engines inside of these pods for a mixture of both. I think that the older BSG styles fit the Daedalus a little more easily than the new BSG, since the older designs were much boxier like the Daedalus.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
          Cool idea. Is that the same ship from the modelling challenge? If not it has borrowed parts right? Because it looks familiar haha.

Spoiler:

Okay so after receiving advice both here and on Calling All Stargate Fans, I decided that I would use the Colonial Defender engine layout for this ship, and throw the conventional Daedalus cylindrical-shaped engines inside of these pods for a mixture of both. I think that the older BSG styles fit the Daedalus a little more easily than the new BSG, since the older designs were much boxier like the Daedalus.
          The engines still look a little... too big. Maybe trim them down a bit and scale them down a tad? It just looks like it should be tipping backwards...
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The onlything 'Actualy' from the Bomber are the small Railguns... the rest is similar. I like to have similar elements in the majority of my ships.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Finger, I agree with s09119. Try shrinking the engine pods in the z-dimension.
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Hey, this doen't technicaly belong anywhere, but it has to do with designing spaceships so- does anyone know how to get a material to sustain 50+ teslas (and the equivalent current density)?

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  The engines still look a little... too big. Maybe trim them down a bit and scale them down a tad? It just looks like it should be tipping backwards...
                  Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                  Finger, I agree with s09119. Try shrinking the engine pods in the z-dimension.
                  I think that's just the perspective fooling you guys, it's my fault for not posting a side view.

I tried shrinking them and it didn't look right... I don't know, this is still in the rough stages, so I will tweak it as I go along. Once I start on the engines that are going inside of these pods I will have a better idea.

Comment

I actualy think that the engines are quite nice like that it's different and I really like the way this ship is coming together.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Well I toyed around with the engines tonight. These are VERY basic at the moment, especially where the engine tubes merge with the hull. It will look better later, right now I'm still hammering out how it will look.

Spoiler:

I also tilted the engine pods, so hopefully they'll be more appealing to those who felt that they were too high.

There will also be a central part to the engine section that I haven't added yet. So it won't be a big gaping hole.

Comment

I recomend removing the ribbing on the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                          I recomend removing the ribbing on the nose.
                          You mean the first two ribs on the top?

I do see what you mean, either that or I can make them less obtrusive.

Maybe if I just remove those two from the top side and leave them on the underside.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                            You mean the first two ribs on the top?

I do see what you mean, either that or I can make them less obtrusive.
                            I mean the fist three plus the thing at the very edge of the nose. It doen;t look as intimidationg as staring at solid battle plating coming at you at several hundred KPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              I mean the fist three plus the thing at the very edge of the nose. It doen;t look as intimidationg as staring at solid battle plating coming at you at several hundred KPS.
                              I'll go for a compromise . Maybe I can keep the ribs but remove them from the topside.

I'll fool around with it later, I really have to get studying. I will try a few things, like removing it from the top but keeping it on the sides and bottom, or removing it all. Because I like the front ribbing on the underside of the top part, but you're right, it takes away from the front when looking at it from above.

Comment

The tilted pods are much better.
                                sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Working...
                                X