This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    PDL- point defense laser, misnomer he's set upon, since any defensive wepon can be used offesively.

CIWS-Close In Wepon System, modern day point defense system on american navy ships.

BPL- bomb pumped laser, when you stick a glass rod next to a nuclear wwarhead when it detonates, it mmkes a powerfull x-ray laser, inneficeint, but better than a straigt up nuke since it cna be fired from greater range.
    Cool, thanks very much!

BOOM Baby! I'm Back!

Comment

Ok just one more pic as i have now discovered how to soften angles and wanted to give it more of a submarine look...
      Attached Files

BOOM Baby! I'm Back!

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedKirk View Post
        Ok just one more pic as i have now discovered how to soften angles and wanted to give it more of a submarine look...
        It's pretty cool looking, the design has a lot of merit. But I think it's a little fanwank. I mean 24 304's and 500+ F302's? I would say let it hold 2 304's, MAYBE 3 or 4, and then beyond that it's pushing it.

Not to mention that this would need serious speed advantages over 304's to have it make sense that it would carry 304's within it.

I would recommend either making it hold ships that are larger than the 302's but much smaller than the 304's, sort of like a Tau'ri variant of the Al'kesh or something, or having it stick to 302's. Or a compliment of both.

Because while I like it overall, it kind of detracts from the ship when you read that it's supposed to hold 24 ships that are anywhere from 400m to 750m long and several hundred meters wide.

Not to nitpick or anything, because you're off to a fantastic start and I like the overall design. Just don't fall into the trap of making your ship a victim of fanwank!

If you're just doing this for the hell of it though, then who cares if it's a 10 km long Tau'ri ship. They aren't capable of it in the series, but that's not to say that you shouldn't do it. If that's the case then have at it haha, it can be fun to be unrealistic, I guess it is sci-fi afterall.

Comment

Very nice work on a first ship. A hint though: anything with multiple ZPMs and over a hundred of anything will probably be labeled fanwank in a heartbeat.
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Newest concept

Spoiler:

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

It has an almost toy like quality due to it's bulkines, but that's not a bad thing.
              I will however comment on adherence to the traditional Daedalus template.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                It has an almost toy like quality due to it's bulkines, but that's not a bad thing.
                I will however comment on adherence to the traditional Daedalus template.
                What do you mean by adhering to the traditional Daedalus template?

You think that the BSG style engines shouldn't be there? Because it also looked fine without them, but then it wasn't really a mixture, it was just a Daedalus with Pegasus' flight pods.

I also made a normal Daedalus layout, but I wasn't thrilled about having to make it precise. That's why I decided that I would try this.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                  What do you mean by adhering to the traditional Daedalus template?

You think that the BSG style engines shouldn't be there? Because it also looked fine without them, but then it wasn't really a mixture, it was just a Daedalus with Pegasus' flight pods.

I also made a normal Daedalus layout, but I wasn't thrilled about having to make it precise. That's why I decided that I would try this.
                  I think he was talking to dboy.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                  Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I thought he was talking to KIRK.
                    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                      I thought he was talking to KIRK.
                      Oh, maybe.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                      Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Hahaha ahh, I thought he was talking to me for whatever reason. Well I'm glad that he did, because I think the ship would look far cooler if I scrapped the battlestar layout for the Daedalus layout, meaning I keep BSG styled engines, but I move them underneath the 'turtle shell' where the Daedalus' engines usually are.

I think it will look much better this way.

Comment

I was talking to dboy.

Comment

Check out the sig!
                            sigpic
                            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                              Check out the sig!
                              Is that... Asuras or Earth?

Comment

Earth, Washington under attack