Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read some articles in here. Quite interesting but unfortunately it makes SGverse looks like the Looney Toons....

For example, I've just discovered that plasma beams are useless, lasers are WMD that should be banned and that unfortunately fighters are useless since they will be spotted and destroyed from millions of kilometres. But you can still use them on close range fights (still checking that...)

On one hand, I feel a little depressed and on the other, I am psyched by that fact that we would have to totally rethink our ships, tactics, weapons and even language (Yeah! English will never work in encounter with alien lifeforms... ).
    La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
    L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

IMO fighters are an integral part of Fleet combat. Your battleships can fight their battleships but will be overwhelmed by smaller ships and fighters.
      Wait, what are you saing, that capital ships can only fight other capital ships?

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
      I read some articles in here. Quite interesting but unfortunately it makes SGverse looks like the Looney Toons....

For example, I've just discovered that plasma beams are useless, lasers are WMD that should be banned and that unfortunately fighters are useless since they will be spotted and destroyed from millions of kilometres. But you can still use them on close range fights (still checking that...)

On one hand, I feel a little depressed and on the other, I am psyched by that fact that we would have to totally rethink our ships, tactics, weapons and even language (Yeah! English will never work in encounter with alien lifeforms... ).
      Where is it stated that lasers are WMDs?

Though I'm glad I got though to semebody.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
        Wait, what are you saying, that capital ships can only fight other capital ships?
        That's exactly what I'm saying. To make a battleship as effective as possible, you give it a limited anti-fighter defence and leave smaller ships to deal with them. Ships can't be great at everything.

For example, the Daedalus tries to be a jack-of-all-trades and it fails miserably. Without the death beams the Daedalus is one of the most useless ships ever created. And as we all know he death beams are a pile of bull****, stupid writers needing a way to get out of trouble quickly.
        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

60% complete

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Where is it stated that lasers are WMDs?

Though I'm glad I got though to semebody.
            Here :

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html#laser

some of the consequences of using laser cannons :

Spoiler:

There's also the issue that iron heated to 10,000 K, for example, will expand in volume about 150,000 times from its solid phase. So burning a 10 cm wide hole through a 1 cm steel bulkhead would produce a cloud of iron vapor with a volume of about a cubic meter if the final temperature was 10,000 K (note that if the iron was converted to a singly ionized plasma, the temperature would be ten times that much, and you would get ten times the volume). Getting caught in that incandescent cloud simply cannot be healthy.

There's also the ozone and nitrogen oxides and reactive chemicals produced as a consequence of incomplete combustion, which will not be healthy to breathe, but I expect that would be secondary.

You don't even need to completely destroy the ship! Damn!
            La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
            L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Umm, that's not mass destruction by any means. You get, what, 10 square meters of very hot gas? That's only terrible in an enclosed space...

And tep, there are practical reasons to have fighters in space, but in limited combat. Carriers are completely defunct in stargate. To see my arguments for starfighters (as well as why I would limit their use), read the AUVF,
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Umm, that's not mass destruction by any means. You get, what, 10 square meters of very hot gas? That's only terrible in an enclosed space...
                Such as a presurised enviroment within a spaceship?
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                  He just said that!

And while I agree with Mcoy on teh unjamability () of the human brain, in stargate combat, that's totaly moot, as we engage the enemy at distances where light speed lag isn't a problem, hance we can use secure laser uplinks to pilot missiles in.

edit:
                  Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
                  That's exactly what I'm saying. To make a battleship as effective as possible, you give it a limited anti-fighter defence and leave smaller ships to deal with them. Ships can't be great at everything.

For example, the Daedalus tries to be a jack-of-all-trades and it fails miserably. Without the death beams the Daedalus is one of the most useless ships ever created. And as we all know he death beams are a pile of bull****, stupid writers needing a way to get out of trouble quickly.
                  What makes you think a battleship couln't just blast the smaler ships with it's heavy caliber DEWs? It has awesome firepower, and the point defence, interceprtors, and ECM to deal with misiles.

Comment

He just said that!

And while I agree with Mcoy on teh unjamability () of the human brain, in stargate combat, that's totaly moot, as we engage the enemy at distances where light speed lag isn't a problem, hance we can use secure laser uplinks to pilot missiles in.

edit:

What makes you think a battleship couln't just blast the smaler ships with it's heavy caliber DEWs? It has awesome firepower, and the point defence, interceprtors, and ECM to deal with misiles.
                    Using heavy calibre weapons against fighters? that's inefficient use of ammunition...well inefficient use of it's power supply in this case. PD isn't needed if the enemy fighers can be engaged by our own fighters before they even get within range of the PD weapons. Inteceptors?...as is extremly fast and lightly armed fighters?

Without the need to focus it's attention on smaller ships, and without extra, un-needed PD weapons or a need to carry inteceptors a battleship becomes much more effective at doing what it does best... blowing the **** out of enemy capital ships.
                    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
                      Using heavy calibre weapons against fighters? that's inefficient use of ammunition...well inefficient use of it's power supply in this case. PD isn't needed if the enemy fighers can be engaged by our own fighters before they even get within range of the PD weapons. Inteceptors?...as is extremly fast and lightly armed fighters?

Without the need to focus it's attention on smaller ships, and without extra, un-needed PD weapons or a need to carry inteceptors a battleship becomes much more effective at doing what it does best... blowing the **** out of enemy capital ships.
                      Before they get into range? This is the SG verse mate, we fight at ridiculously close ranges. Interceptors are missiles desined to shoot down other missiles.

Ok, so where is it going to carry htos efighters? becuase it's not going ot have carier suort in every battle. And fighter sare so much heavier then anteerceptora and PD combined.

You need:
                      1. pilot baraks
                      2. life suport for pilots
                      3. food for pilots
                      4. mainteneace crew quarters, and there is a lot of maintenance crew for each fighter
                      5.life suport for maintenance crew
                      6. food for maintenance crew
                      7. fuel for fighter (three times as much as for missiels becuase they need to canel out their inicial acceleration, and build up return aceleration)
                      8. Spare parts for fighters
                      9. Amunition for fighters. (which is totaly uselees if you lose one and translates into expensive dead weight for the carier)

Comment

I like how I started this and other people are fighting it for me.
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                          I like how I started this and other people are fighting it for me.
                          Wat?

Comment

Wat?
                            I think that when I said that Fighters were better used in an atmosphere, people (like you and immohotep) got involved and a arguement emurged. So yeah i kinda started it but kinda didn't because i had no direct affect on the argurement.
                            sigpic
                            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                              Um, yes...that's what I meant.

Of course, an enclosed and pressurized space also gives you the best defense against it. Blast doors and venting.

It's an Ouroboros. (the snake that eats itself...not the GW member )
                              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Human brain can't be jammed? Please; Ever tried looking straight at the Sun a nice, bright day? Now magnify that by a couple of hundred times due to distances involved.

All the pilots would be blind before ever engaging.

And ofc fighters are totally useless in any real space warfare setting. Everyone that has ever debated and researched that knows it, or they're just ignorant. You can't argue with scientific facts, unless you debate religion.

Comment

Working...
                                X