Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does everyone think of this picture?

Spoiler:

Good? Fail?

Comment

very good

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD View Post

Spoiler:

Good? Fail?
        Interesting... especially the texture.

Comment

Very interesting. What are they?
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
            very good
            Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
            Interesting... especially the texture.
            Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            Very interesting.
            Thanks!

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            What are they?
            The thing in the background is a Re'tu mothership and the small craft are Re'tu fighters. Yes, Re'tu with fighters seems weird, especially with the way the ones I have are setup, but oh well. xD

Comment

Spoiler:

Good? Fail?
              Ok I'll be a bit hard on you and give you some input.

I think the depth of field on the mother ship is a bit much. Right now it makes it feel like it's not part of the scene. Maybe make it about half of what it is now.

As for the fighter, the design is very simple but the texture are not bad. If they had a bit more detail added it would balance out a bit better.

Over all it's still a decent scene.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
              Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post
                Ok I'll be a bit hard on you and give you some input.

I think the depth of field on the mother ship is a bit much. Right now it makes it feel like it's not part of the scene. Maybe make it about half of what it is now.

As for the fighter, the design is very simple but the texture are not bad. If they had a bit more detail added it would balance out a bit better.

Over all it's still a decent scene.
                Yeah, I know it is. I liked it that way for some reason. I might redo it tomorrow.

And as far as the fighter goes, I know it's really simple, but I couldn't figure out what do do with it. These guys are supposed to have organic like ships but those are pretty much impossible to model with sketchup, so I just made some somewhat sleek ships and used this awesome texture for the detail instead.

Thanks for teh comments.

Comment

And as far as the fighter goes, I know it's really simple, but I couldn't figure out what do do with it. These guys are supposed to have organic like ships but those are pretty much impossible to model with sketchup, so I just made some somewhat sleek ships and used this awesome texture for the detail instead.

Thanks for teh comments.
                  I was talking with a friend a few weeks back and we talked about what the Re'tu would do for ships and I said the chig ships from space: above and beyond may work. They are organic and also part mechanical.

You welcome sir.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle

Comment

Here is a short 12 second fleet scene that I made for a Galactic Civilizations II Stargate mod team.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac92xQsOfU4

Comment

Spread the ships a little further apart and form them in either a V formation or a diamond formation, its how the military would space them and it looks better.

And if your going for a stargate look, you should mess with the camera a little bit. I dont know the exact words for it, and I'm not at my computer to get an example but you make the camera so its zoomed in, like theres a magnifying glass in the middle and when something gets close it stretches it slightly.

(I'll edit this when I get power back in my house ((im at work)) )
                      Visit my Website

Comment

ZakeD, I like that texture but not the model too much. It looks too simple. Organic ships are easy to make, in that you can do what ever type of hull type and no one could tell if its suppose to be there or not.
                        Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post
                          Here is a short 12 second fleet scene that I made for a Galactic Civilizations II Stargate mod team.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac92xQsOfU4
                          Hey thats awesome, like the sounds aswell.

Heres my completed second ship with specs

Spoiler:

Specs:

Spoiler:
                          Name: Defiant Class

Type: Long range hyperspace capable heavily armed patrol ship

Technology base: Tauri, Asgard, Tolan

Class: Cruiser

Hull: Naquadah/ Trinium Alloy

Dimensions: 600m by 250m bye 50m

Crew: Skeleton Crew: 15
                          Max Personnel: 100

Powerplant: 1 mk4 naquadah generator

Engines: Standard Asgard/ Tau'ri sublight engines
                          Asgard intergalctic hyperdrive and one interstellar as backup

Armanent: 4 MK2 forward facing Taur'ri ion Cannons, 6 defensive railguns, 2 triple turreted forward facing 30mm coil guns

Defences: Tau'ri/ Asgard shilelds

Fighter Compliment: It does not actually carry fighters, rather one tel'tak sized craft in each hangar.

Other Technology:Asgard transporters, rings, advanced computers, planetary scanners, Hyperdrive energy buffer

History: While the US was busy making more advanced ships to fight in the war against the Kreethen (my own race not going to go into them now, suffce to say they soup up Ha'taks) the US govenmant finally relented and gave the UK and several other countries the rescources to build starships of their own. The Brits decided to use what they already had to make a powerful ship to patrol the Kreethen occupied systems, and engage and destroy up to two upgraded Ha'taks or a Kreethen cruiser alone.

The H.M.S.S. Defiant was first completed in 2013 and after several successful operations against Kreethan ships and took part in a planetary assualt was put into full scale production on a British owned islnd in the pacific ocean. Since then the Defiant class had become the Brits main warship and another 5 have since been built with 4 more still on the production line.

The red stripes on the hull indicate the amount of enemy Capitol ships destroyed. The 4 ion cannons on the front give great offensive power against most enemy ships with a fast rate of fire. One advancement that was first tested on the Defiant class was a hyperdrive energy buffer. This works by storing energy in a buffer and sealing it off from the rest of the ship except the hyperdrive, if the the fight is going badly and the ship needs to make a quick getaway and the hyperdrive has no power for whatever reason the enery stored in the buffer is tranfered to the hyperdrive, Allowing atleast 20minutes hyperdrive travel with a full buffer.

Oh and i suck at specs so pick holes at will
                          Perhaps Puff

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                            Spread the ships a little further apart and form them in either a V formation or a diamond formation, its how the military would space them and it looks better.

And if your going for a stargate look, you should mess with the camera a little bit. I dont know the exact words for it, and I'm not at my computer to get an example but you make the camera so its zoomed in, like theres a magnifying glass in the middle and when something gets close it stretches it slightly.

(I'll edit this when I get power back in my house ((im at work)) )
                            It's rare that we ever see any type of formations in SG. Even when the fleet was getting ready to attack the replicator's homeworld we had ships all over the place. It's the same for startrek and babylon 5 with how the ships group and fly.

The look I was going for was a fixed point following as the fleet flew by. Kind of a persons point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                              ZakeD, I like that texture but not the model too much. It looks too simple. Organic ships are easy to make, in that you can do what ever type of hull type and no one could tell if its suppose to be there or not.
                              Organic ships aren't easy in sketchup.

Comment

Here's a scene I've been working on tonight. All criticism welcome.

Just my bit on organic modeling, Its not easy in sketchup, but its not impossible either.
                                Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X