This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
    Given events in the actors' lives (i.e. AT's little one), I see why TPTB gave Mitchell command. But from a strictly plot POV, Carter definitely should have stayed in command of SG-1. Stargate needs more women in positions of authority – so far, we've got Weir... and that's about it. I know there aren't an awful lot of women in the military, but Sam's been around since day one, and I'm still trying to figure out who the hell this Mitchell guy is (what was with him in "Off the Grid"?
    Spoiler:
    "Mary Poppins"? Arguing about who would make the best... drug dealer?
    Excuse me?). I kind of liked him for a while, but that kind of did him in for me. Sam deserves her own command. She's also the only major female character in SG-1, which annoys me to no end.
    While I agree with you on the comment (which was massively out of character for him to me), I disagree with what you are saying which seems to be Sam should have stayed leader because of her gender.
    We have seen plenty of women in positions of power, just not many had recurring roles.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a few more women in SG, but I strongly disagree that Sam's gender has any relevance to her getting command back.

Comment

First let me say that I absolutely love Ben Browder and am glad to have Mitchell as part of the team. That being said, I think the whole "Co-Leader" situation is a cop-out to avoid putting Carter in total command which she deserves and has fully earned. Why TPTB were dead set against putting Carter in total command mystifies and disapoints me. All of the lame explanations in the world cannot cover up the fact that they prefered to have a man in charge of the SGC 's flagship team for no other reason than he was a man. Shame on them.
      "You cannot reason with your own heart;
      it has it's own laws and beats about things
      which the intellect scorns."
      - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
        First let me say that I absolutely love Ben Browder and am glad to have Mitchell as part of the team. That being said, I think the whole "Co-Leader" situation is a cop-out to avoid putting Carter in total command which she deserves and has fully earned. Why TPTB were dead set against putting Carter in total command mystifies and disapoints me. All of the lame explanations in the world cannot cover up the fact that they prefered to have a man in charge of the SGC 's flagship team for no other reason than he was a man. Shame on them.
        This has come up a lot.
        How do you know that it was BB's gender that did it?
        I'm curious, as I've yet to hear an actual explanation of this

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
          This has come up a lot.
          How do you know that it was BB's gender that did it?
          I'm curious, as I've yet to hear an actual explanation of this
          Because just as easily as they have written stories around MS leaving and coming back, RDA's reduced schedule, they could have written around AT's pregnancy and preserved Carter's leadership position on the team. You could still do basically the same storylines with Mitchell as they did before with just saying that Sam was up in DC consulting with the joint chiefs, having her call in video clips to consult and those wondrous little telephone calls that they occasionally had with Jack. With such an established character, they could have done this and the fans would have all understood the situation and worked with the whole premise until AT came back full time. So, if it wasn't a lack of ability, it had to be a lack of will. They did not choose to do so. As to the reasons they did not choose to do so, as Carter is a very strong character and beloved by the fans, there was to me only one other reason - the gender thing.

Now, of course, no one is going to admit that on paper, but you have to admit, it isn't that big of a leap. Not in my opinion at least.
          - Mark Twain -

Comment

Teal'c!!! Teal'c is awesome and cool! And he's also the oldest and most wise! I vote for Teal'c. He's older than Landry!
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

mitchell... the show needs a somewhat stupid leader with 2 smart ppl and a logical one... cant mess with that...
              "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
              "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
              "I shot him. In the leg."
              "I'm invulnerable."
              "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
              "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

Carter should be leading.

Simply because TPTB have written her character as an extremely effectively airforce officer, capable of functioning in a wide variety of positions including leading a team. In the case of Mitchell they have succeeded in writing him as a good pilot, he's in charge of but doesn't LEAD a ground team, has yet to display any qualifcations to lead the premiere SGC ground team. Basically to me Mitchell comes off as a hothead who doesn't know how to act as part of a team let alone lead one.

I find it amusing in these discussions how people use the characters actions to validate their points..... HELLO!!! the characters are the way they are because of TPTB !!!

TPTB have dropped the ball this season. They brought in a number of excellent new actors to complement the ones they already had, and gave them garbage to work with. Lazy writing and directing of the Mitchell character has amounted to little confidence in the character for me.

Until Mitchell is written as a competent leader with qualities that befits a SG1 leader then .....

Carter should be leading.
                -

Comment

Because just as easily as they have written stories around MS leaving and coming back, RDA's reduced schedule, they could have written around AT's pregnancy and preserved Carter's leadership position on the team. You could still do basically the same storylines with Mitchell as they did before with just saying that Sam was up in DC consulting with the joint chiefs, having her call in video clips to consult and those wondrous little telephone calls that they occasionally had with Jack. With such an established character, they could have done this and the fans would have all understood the situation and worked with the whole premise until AT came back full time. So, if it wasn't a lack of ability, it had to be a lack of will. They did not choose to do so. As to the reasons they did not choose to do so, as Carter is a very strong character and beloved by the fans, there was to me only one other reason - the gender thing.

Now, of course, no one is going to admit that on paper, but you have to admit, it isn't that big of a leap. Not in my opinion at least.
                  Did you read my above post about Carter then dominating the show?
                  There is one reason not have Carter as leader.
                  There's also the fact that Carter was leader in S8. They may have found trouble writing good story lines with Carter in charge and keeping it 'team'.
                  Really, I think it's a bit of a cop out to say 'Browder only got it cause he's a guy'.
                  The issue is more complex than simply wanting one gender or another to headline the show.

Comment

I will read the posts on my next for I don't want to be influenced in my opinion.

I think Carter should lead for the following reasons.

1. She has earned the positiion.
                    2. She is more aware and has more experience then anyone else. That has to do with going off world and gate travel in general. Daniel and Teal'c or not military so they can't lead.
                    3. I real think she can give orders that no wants to do, but they do it because Carter gave the order and all of the SG team members look up to her.

Here are mine. I am sure the next time I post I will have a lot more reasons that I have read from your posts.
                    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Did you read my above post about Carter then dominating the show?
                      There is one reason not have Carter as leader.
                      There's also the fact that Carter was leader in S8. They may have found trouble writing good story lines with Carter in charge and keeping it 'team'.
                      Really, I think it's a bit of a cop out to say 'Browder only got it cause he's a guy'.
                      The issue is more complex than simply wanting one gender or another to headline the show.
                      I think it's exactly that simple. Lets be real: when it comes to sci-fi shows, they are basically aimed at young men in the whole 18-25 demographic. There is a feeling out there that guys in this group will not consistantly watch a show about a female leader in charge. And before you point at Wier, she's not military and can be frequently overshadowed by the activities of the other guys.

Also I don't believe Carter dominates the show and respectfully I ask you to re-read my posts. I started out saying how I was a big fan of Ben Browder's and I very much enjoyed Mitchell. I was extremely happy to see the character come onto the show and the team. No one is putting Ben down, least of all me.

Lastly, how is it harder to write a good story for an established cast member? You write a good story for the leader of the team and if the leader of the team is Carter, then so be it. What have they written so far for Mitchell as team leader that Carter could not have done? One of the best characters in sci-fi, Ripley in 'Alien', was written for a guy. When they finally gave it to Sigourny Weaver, they didn't change a word of the script to adjust it because she was a woman. They played it as written and it was amaziing. I think the same thing could happen with SG-1. Don't write for a woman. Write for a team leader and let the team leader actor play it.
                      - Mark Twain -

Comment

I think it's exactly that simple. Lets be real: when it comes to sci-fi shows, they are basically aimed at young men in the whole 18-25 demographic. There is a feeling out there that guys in this group will not consistantly watch a show about a female leader in charge. And before you point at Wier, she's not military and can be frequently overshadowed by the activities of the other guys.
                        Carter has always been a big part of the show. The SGC had Weir in charge and it was fine.
                        Also, Carter WAS the nominated leader in S8. I would have no problems with a female leader of SG-1 and I am in the key young male demographic of 20-25.
                        I have a problem with Carter taking two of the roles, that of tech and that of leader.
                        Also I don't believe Carter dominates the show and respectfully I ask you to re-read my posts. I started out saying how I was a big fan of Ben Browder's and I very much enjoyed Mitchell. I was extremely happy to see the character come onto the show and the team. No one is putting Ben down, least of all me.
                        No, Carter doesn't dominate now. My concern is that if she was leader, she would.
                        I don't recall saying you were putting Browder down, I think he's a good actor too. I don't think I've accused anyone of putting Browder down.
                        Lastly, how is it harder to write a good story for an established cast member? You write a good story for the leader of the team and if the leader of the team is Carter, then so be it. What have they written so far for Mitchell as team leader that Carter could not have done? One of the best characters in sci-fi, Ripley in 'Alien', was written for a guy. When they finally gave it to Sigourny Weaver, they didn't change a word of the script to adjust it because she was a woman. They played it as written and it was amaziing. I think the same thing could happen with SG-1. Don't write for a woman. Write for a team leader and let the team leader actor play it.
                        I disagree.
                        How do they explain all the tech stuff?
                        Mostly, that was by Carter explaining a problem or a soloution to Jack.
                        How do they do it now? Carter isn't going to explain things to herself.
                        This has nothing to do with Carter being a woman and the leader, it has to do with her filling two roles on the team.

Comment

Co-Leading is stupid. It's saying, "well, we don't want Carter to lead because then our Jack replacement would be kind of pointless...but we don't want to alienate Sam-fans. So, hows about they share the pie?"

I don't dig that. You know, let Cam lead, like I said before, the man is the head, but the woman is the neck. Cam may be in charge but Carter is in control, she's got more experience, she's one of the original team members.

I think once Jack left, the team was done for. He's Mcgyver, he's the sarcastic knock-about, do-it-rather-than-be-damned leader with an entourage of spunky teammates who complete the ensemble. Then he has to go and Cam drops in from some discarded plot-line somewhere. Face it, if you have Carter lead, Cam is a pointless addition to the plot-line. Season 9-10 is a pointless addition to the storyline! They wanted to keep the picturesque quartet and - face it - a Jack replacement. They could have let Carter lead, they didn't, here we are.

Cam's a doofus. If you listen closley, you can even hear Carter snickering. Sure, he's kind of lovable, but lovable doesn't win you honor in battle. To introduce a new leader, you need a few seasons to have that character prove himself. We're expected to accept him because he was in the frontlines. It's TV, I forget there's people in the death gliders, how'm I supposed to work with that?? Kawalsky, I could have warmed up to, I know him from the movie. What do I know about Cam? He's southern...talks about his grandma alot...can't fence...was on Farscape...

I don't mean to sound negative. It's 12:44, ok? I voted Cam because, if you're going to have two people of the same rank on a team, and one's new character, the fights kind of unfair. You give the newbie the wheel and backseat drive.

So there!
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I have a problem with Carter taking two of the roles, that of tech and that of leader.
                            I don't see that as a problem. Until she says why they should do a certain technical thing they don't do it as it is, I don't see how it would change when she was in charge.
                            How do they explain all the tech stuff? Mostly, that was by Carter explaining a problem or a soloution to Jack. How do they do it now? Carter isn't going to explain things to herself.
                            It will still be the same. Carter works with a team of techs and scientists. That wouldn't change. She was explaining the solutions to the whole team, Jack included. The only difference will be that instead of the leader of the team playing his Playsation while waiting for the solution, the leader will be working on the technical solution.

I've enjoyed the discussion but as it it after midnight and my birthday, I am going to go eat some ice cream now and begin celebrating.
                            - Mark Twain -

Comment

Sam is established, that's where she's different from Ripley.

For 8 years we've seen a good-natured, professional, brilliant scientist. We can't suddenly change her character. Tell me, how different is Cam from Sam? Do you think you'll be happy if Sam started acting 1 iota like Cam?

When Jack left, the one thing that potentialy could've left with him was the humor. I'm sorry, but Sam can't do humor. Danny can't do a lot either without Jack around. Teal'c has his silent humor, but it was nothing against Jack's.

With Cam, at least we still have the quips Jack spouts sometimes. Some may not like it, but I know I will stop watching if it disappears.

Humor brought me into Stargate, and no humor is gonna kick me right back out.

Comment

In answer to the question of this post: Me! Of course. =0)

Comment

Working...
                                X