No announcement yet.

MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trailer is up on the SGC YouTube channel.
    Errrrr....spoiler in the trailer thumbnail.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by mooseman; 01 February 2018, 08:40 AM. Reason: Added video link, added spoiler

Comment

Is it me, or does that gate look faker than the SG1 gates, even the digitally inserted ones?

Comment

I imagine they didnt exactly have a huge budget to work with, but yeah the gate doesn't look so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
          Well for what it's worth, here's the description from the trailer

"On February 15th, witness the premiere of a Stargate story that takes you back to where it all began.

In 1939, Professor Paul Langford and his daughter Catherine are still grappling with the mysteries of the ancient relic they discovered in the Egyptian desert more than ten years ago. With war looming in Europe and funding running out, these brilliant minds are approaching their lowest ebb. Little do they know, answers are about to present themselves in a dangerous form, when the Nazi Occultist Dr. Wilhelm Brücke approaches their facility with a sinister motive.

Enlisting the help of two young soldiers, Catherine must use all of her wit and nous as she and her new allies embark on an adventure into the unknown to rescue her father, and save the Earth from an unimaginable darkness."
          LOL!! Sorry... Wilhelm Brücke.... Bridge... his name is Bridge.... *snort* .... anyway... I have Captain America flashbacks... weird.

I like to think that's my doing but it probably isn't, cause I tweeted the restriction out into the world.
          I'm really not that influential.

But it's too late now... since I still am blocked, I have decided not to continue with MGM or Stargate Command or Origins.

*wonder how long I'll be able to keep that up*
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Spoiler:
            The music sounds good............
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Spoiler:
              So they released it to the public barely hours after the exclusive "first look" for All Access...What a huge surprise! Seriously, I'm glad it's out for everyone now.

Someone on Facebook mentioned thinking they saw a ribbon device at the end of the trailer. It certainly looks like the gold finger tips of one!
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I have to admit this trailer was much better. I have felt some excitement especially when somebody tried the ribbon device. Maybe nobody would be able to use it, so it can be just an easter egg to SG-1.

The actors still act pretty badly.

The gate looks plastic as well. And I couldn't see any glyphs on it! One of the old Hungarian SG fan had an idea that what if they gate is covered by an extra layer of protection. So they glyphs are not visible, but some alien tech or gate activation will change the surface of the gate and then all the glyphs will be visible. That would be a nice new safety solution from Ancients. The problem is that the gate is made of naquadah (a very strong metal) and they used the same gate in Egypt (see episode 8x20 Moebius). The real explanation will be that they haven't had money to make a proper set piece, so we created this little fan fiction.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Caught a glimpse on twitter earlier, and I hate say that the gate looks like an unfinished render from a 3D modelling program. There's no color in it, no texture, the light placement is wrong...

Didn't have sound on -- just stumbled across and let it play, muted.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    So they released it to the public barely hours after the exclusive "first look" for All Access...What a huge surprise! Seriously, I'm glad it's out for everyone now.
                    !
                    Yeah, I expected them to wait at least a day before the general release, but I guess their social media monitor saw all the complaining about it.

Comment

I would doubt it even had much to do with that. They wouldn't be able to let it sit too long as a first look as it'd just be spoiled within an hour or so anyway.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm just going to say here that it's not worth it for me to bother anymore. I just shook my head through the whole trailer. I might watch whatever's "free for all" or whatever so I can make a more supported argument, but that's it. I'm just gonna go back and watch Stargate when it still had the things that made me a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          I would doubt it even had much to do with that. They wouldn't be able to let it sit too long as a first look as it'd just be spoiled within an hour or so anyway.
                          Could have been coded wrong on the website, set the status to VIP only, which wouldn't be such a stretch. Then realized probably they made that error, especially since the teaser was free for all and all over their youtube channel, and went back in to set it to all instead.

They certainly didn't make themselves very popular, and I've seen a lot of responses from people who are still oblivious about where they can watch or that they can't access it at all. I foresee a lot more disappointing people from now until February 16.

Comment

As they specifically said they wanted All Access to get a "first look" at the trailer in the email blast it's unlikely it was any sort of mistake. It was just as they said - they wanted AA to see it first. But it's neither here or there as it's accessible to all on YT and SGC now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok, I am watching that trailer ATM and we've got "Rambo"-Langford again (and I quote: "...I am in charge!" and she says that while they are tied up (ok: not tied up, just standing very close together, need to watch that some more it seems - despite that fact that I don't like what I am seeing!), so she's indirectly blaming the man for their situation and then she proceeds to shoot and beat up people like a trained soldier, not to mention how she handles the gun, spinning the cylinder and all that! Like a regular Indiana Jones (and we know that Indy has been part of the military at some point, so that is explained, which is something you can't say for Langford as women in the military back then were doctors and nurses and that's it! Sexist? Yeah, they were, but it's also part of history and thus we can't change it! Doing so (which more or less means you are lying!) isn't going to help, not to mention that strong female characters don't necessarily need to kick everybodies' ass! Damned, show strong convictions etc. but don't make every female character into a damned comic-book-hero who solves problems with violence and is out of her depths if another solution is required!)! Damned, with Samantha Carter I can believe that, she after all IS A SOLDIER, but with a civilian like Langford? Damned, feminism takes Stargate and they come with their one dimensional "women have to kick ass or they are worthless" characters!)...

The gate looks like plastic and too modern (yes it's higtech, but the ancients made those gates rugged on purpose! They aren't polished and shiny! The only shiny gate I know was made by the Tollan! Even Pegasus gates don't look that shiny and they supposedly are the last ones made by the Ancients!)

Ok, and there's an open stargate and no Ernest Littlefield in an old style metal diver's suit, so canon is officially BROKEN!

Is that a hand-device in the end (and one that looks like it was just made, instead of being dusty and all that because it was lying around in Egypt for a few thousand years)?

greetings LAX
                              ps: Note, because you have to say it these days: I have no problem with equality (of opportunities!) for the sexes, but I don't like third wave feminism (which is an anti-male hategroup and a female supremacy movement! They nitpick rights but don't want the corresponding duties and responsibilities!)...hell, the very name "FEMinism" (not HUMANism or something like that!) pisses me off! I hate it even more that they are now rolling into spaces where women are a minority (most nerds are male after all, just like most gamers) and take them over and nobody resists because you might look bad in the press if you tell them where to stick it!
                              pps: Also: It's not like Stargate was in need of feminism, there were tons of strong female characters (but they were allowed to show weakness, like Sam mourning after Daniel ascended!) from Sam to Doc. Fraiser, Dr. Weier, Vala (and Quetesh, despite the symbiote not really having a gender, unless Quetesh really was a queen!), Sara Gardner (Osiris!), Cadett Haily etc. etc. and there were blacks etc., too (Teal'c as the prime example!)
                              Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 02 February 2018, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Have been watching what you all think as this new show s-l-o-w-l-y unfolds.

I am extremely bummed to see that they aren't going to stay within cannon. I feel like if they wanted to utilize the gate in the new show they should've picked someone other than the Langfords as the characters and then figured out a way to not have it mess with cannon.

And Laxian... I agree with some of what you said... I myself was expecting more of a Nancy Drew type character for Catherine. Smart and quick witted, but maybe relying a little more on her friends for the brawn. During the Littlefield episode she didn't seem like a bad-a** in her flash-backs.

I don't plan to buy the all access pass, but I was kind of hoping that if it was good we might have a chance to purchase all the episodes at once, like on DVD. I think the short episodes would drive me nuts to watch separately.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                LOL!! Sorry... Wilhelm Brücke.... Bridge... his name is Bridge.... *snort* .... anyway... I have Captain America flashbacks... weird.
                                Yes... so much!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X