MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivao View Post
    Every Star Trek show is available on Netflix around the world, except North America (because of the CBS Access thingy). Only the original films (TMP to Nemesis) aren't available. Star Trek Discovery is distributed by Netflix outside the US, hence why new episodes are instantly available after their release in the US, and that is why it's available worldwide.
    They are also available on my bookshelf
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The safest, though nevertheless they can really screw canon with this one.
      Oh dear why wasn't that coming to my mind earlier? That is the reason access to Origins is so limited, because do not get such a big sh**storm when they totally mess up with things that have been facts in the SG canon for so long

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
        Oh dear why wasn't that coming to my mind earlier? That is the reason access to Origins is so limited, because do not get such a big sh**storm when they totally mess up with things that have been facts in the SG canon for so long
        Oh... now that you mention it... I hadn't thought about it that way.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The safest, though nevertheless they can really screw canon with this one.
          I fully expect a backdoor pilot though. Basically if Origins fails, they can simply call it proper canon and leave it at that. But if it succeeds, they can just announce sequels and restart SG1 as a reboot. Hence, why it's the safest option. No matter the outcome, they can justify the narrative. Which makes it quite a smart move, and which makes me wonder why the hell the rest of it is so dumb.

Like what CBS did with Star Trek Discovery, which is both available on their own digital network and Netflix UK. I don't know about other Netflix areas as I'm not familiar with the general offerings i.e. I'm not a Netflix user or any other digital channel person.
          While STD (oh god), uhm ST: D? ticked off many star trek fans, it seems popular enough in it's own. So yea, i could see a Discovery-situation working out for Stargate. Seems that there's plenty of thirst for Sci Fi still, and with Marvel it's clear that there's plenty of space for Stargate-esque humor. I just don't get why this isn't capitalized on more.

That's just setting up the series to fail. Seems to me that they're expecting a bunch of die-hard fans even though the series has been dead for...at least 5 years, and longer if you're an SG-1 fan only.

Comment

I know, but they can be tricked (it's a fake gravity-well! Thus you can overwrite a hyperdrive's safety-measures and jump despite the fake gravity well (you might just crash into the next planet however instead!))

Sure it was a great scene, but it just destroys Star Wars as we know it! If this works all large ships are obsolete, because they are targets for this sort of tactic not to mention that hyperspace does NOT work that way, otherwise crashes would happen daily, especially at hub-worlds such as Coruscant!

greetings LAX
            ps: No, Rey doesn't screw up, she indirectly helps in the killing of Snoke and she escapes unscathed - damned, what she tried to do was stupid (Luke and Vader level stupid and it didn' work this time!), but the execution? Flawless and Snoke is DEAD!

pps: I'll quote your post for a longer answer

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              So Rey isn't female? She screws up by leaving Ach-To to try and turn Kylo, which notably doesn't work. She gets into incredibly dangerous situations because of it, and only survives because of Kylo and luck.

Leia also screws up, since she can't keep Poe on a leash and notes that she KNOWS he's reckless, but does nothing to stop it. She could've (and should've) seen it coming from a mile away that Poe wouldn't back down from the engagement. She, quite frankly, should've left him and fled, recalling the bombers herself.

You claim to not hate women, yet you clearly hate it because of women and ignore that they too have failings. Rey's abilities are better set up than Luke's ever were (hey i'm a farmboy who can suddenly wield blasters, lightsabers and fly fighters like a god). Rey's abilities were all shown before: She's a scavenger of advanced technology and repairs Unkar's ships (hence she knows about the Falcon, and notes she's flown it before but not off-planet), she wields her staff to the point that she beats up thugs (hence, her ability to wield weapons), and only beats Kylo because he survived a shot he shouldn't have. Sure people like her, but what did that bring her? Han offered her a job, well the last people he offered one all died thanks to him. Is she supposed to cheer for that? Oh and i know that supplementary material suggests that Luke spent weeks or months on Dagobath and not 3 hours as the movie implies, but movie-wise Luke trained about as much as Rey. Rey shows raw power but none of the finesse (for one, she isn't making million-to-one torpedo shots), Luke showed none of the raw power, yet Yoda mentioned it was because he couldn't imagine it. Rey, on the other hand, has done nothing but dream of such things.

The rest you can chalk up to budgetary changes, since the OT notably lacks people doing massive jumps and regular flips, whereas the Prequels are full of them.

The Prequels made me fear Star Wars would never be good again. The sequels made me happy once more. The EU i've dabbled in, but the quality varies from hot garbage to pretty good, and i don't want to spend time on the hot garbage.

I'm happy it exists. Did more for the Dark Side than all that prequel stuff. Even a jedi master, god at his own trade, is not invincible to the lure to the dark side. Just as Darth Vader, god of the dark side, is not immune to the light. Also, i'm happy that someone in the movie saw the Prequels. I'm happy that he adressed that the Jedi in them suck, created their own problems and walled in their own stupidity. Darth Sidious, god-emperor of mankind, last sith, most powerful being, hides under the nose of the entire jedi council. ENTIRE JEDI COUNCIL. not one, not one in thousands of jedi noticed that the guy was gaining a lot of power through all of this and was clearly benefiting from this war (palpatine didn't exactly hide that he gained power like crazy here) and might be a sith?

Then Yoda, jedi master, runs off to troll random people in the swamp, and Obi Wan runs off to hide in the desert. Clearly, running from your job is part OF the job.

God the prequels were stupid.

I hate that scene, mostly because fans have come to completely misunderstand SyFy/MGM's own intent with it. It's pretty much the standard blame for SGU, even though "younger" meant "30-40's". Stargate SG1's main audience was in the 40-50's demographic, which isn't exactly what you want to be in for longevity.

Gateworld is overwhelmingly young, but we're just a fraction of a fraction of the fanbase in total. Most Stargate fans by now are in their 60's. You can't resurrect a show based on that!

If it wants to survive, it NEEDS to sell it's premise to a younger audience. It just can't do otherwise.
              No, it needs the older audience (younger fans come on board via their parents etc. - Star Wars was worth as much as it is because of the old geezers who bought the books and the games all those years without movies! It's the same for Stargate, give us another show, explain the premise in the first episode (maybe show the "old guard" introducing a new team to it all so it serves a dual purpose!) and young and old can enjoy it )

I don't hate women! Some of my best friends are women (no, I don't want to have sex with them and haven't been friend-zoned! They had boyfriends before getting to know me and I would never poach another guy's girl!)

Yeah, Leia has a soft spot for daring rogues...so what! The fault doesn't lie with her IMHO, hell would the bomber pilots have listened to her? They had a big target and the best pilot in the Resistance was telling them to go for it, to put the hurt on the First Order!

A Staff is NOT a lightsaber...hell, master sword fighter would have trouble with a lightsaber because the blade is weightless (totally different balance compared to an actual blade!)

Flying a ship in peace times and flying it in combat are totally different (nobody would put commercial pilots into interceptors and expect them to fight trained interceptor pilots...it would be a slaughter if you tried!)

With the exception of "Phantom Menace" (and even that has its moments!) the prequels are good (never understood the hatred! Sure the dialogue is stilted at times, but otherwise they aren't bad!)

Of course Jedi aren't immune...a few of them turned during the clone wars after all (that's still canon - not to mention people like Darth Revan from the EU!)

YES! The Jedi did suck, I totally agree on that! They were arrogant (just like the Sith, but for different reasons!), they basically stole children and brainwashed them (and threw those away who weren't up to their standards - Jedi Service Corps anybody?)...no wounder most of them are susceptible to the dark side! Without having learned how to handle emotions they easily fall prey to them!

Jeah, those two should have fought the empire from the get go (why not make a ****ing holocron to teach Luke if they are killed in action?) or started to train others for that purpose

I'd still consider myself young (born in the mid 80's) and I saw Stargate SG-1 a year after release and I've been a fan ever since (then again: I've always been the geek kid with his nose in a book instead of going out to play )

There - damned, hope this isn't to disjointed (didn't want to split up the quote into tiny ones)

greetings LAX

Comment

Oh... now that you mention it... I hadn't thought about it that way.
                I did, that's why I am not all that interested - they can litterally **** the whole canon with this (not to mention that it's boring to see a story we all know, not in exact detail but the broad strokes and more isn't needed!)

greetings LAX

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                  I did, that's why I am not all that interested - they can litterally **** the whole canon with this (not to mention that it's boring to see a story we all know, not in exact detail but the broad strokes and more isn't needed!)

greetings LAX
                  I sometimes like seeing what I already know, but in case of what I seen about Origins in the trailer I will pass that one on, along with all other things already mentioned here often

Comment

I fully expect a backdoor pilot though. Basically if Origins fails, they can simply call it proper canon and leave it at that. But if it succeeds, they can just announce sequels and restart SG1 as a reboot. Hence, why it's the safest option. No matter the outcome, they can justify the narrative. Which makes it quite a smart move, and which makes me wonder why the hell the rest of it is so dumb.
                    Damn it -- stop making so much logic sense.

While STD (oh god), uhm ST: D?
                    -- sorry, this cannot be un-thought...

Comment

Allow me to share the BS-info that I happen to find in my face every time I dare to hit the wrong link on the website -- and by wrong I mean the parts that Stargate Command has deemed not accessible to anyone outside of the 6 countries, and by BS, I literally mean BS because nothing will change (as most have figured out by now).

All-access_Denied.jpg

Comment

I also doubt they are sorry, I mean if they can manage to make the first 2 eps free for all, there is no problem they could do that with the whole show.....

Comment

Indeed, nothing will change!

All those money grubbing studios ("As much money as possible!" - instead of, you know: "Enough money to sustain ourselves and make people happy (so that they'll gladly give us more money in the future!)")...put your stuff on damned Netflix and leave it there, make Netflix pay a yearly fee per show that's adjusted for inflation! This way there's money coming it for shows that have been off the air for ages (so new stuff can be made!)...but no, just like with Origin, UPlay, GOG (for gaming studios) etc. every studio/company has got to have their own service, instead of pooling their resources (hell: Why not open their own streaming service - together, if studios don't like Netflix? This way they can compete and the customer still has to only pay for two of those services, the one the studios have and Netflix (should they like anything that's on there!))

Bah, makes me wanna barf!

greetings LAX

Comment

I also doubt they are sorry, I mean if they can manage to make the first 2 eps free for all, there is no problem they could do that with the whole show.....
                            They don't have to make it free for all, the whole show I mean, but it shows there's simply no issue with allowing worldwide streaming. Therefore, I think the problem is more along the lines of privacy laws (even though Germany is bound by the same European privace laws as the rest of Europe) or something along those lines which prevents them from opening up all-access to more countries, and it has literally nothing to do with licences or whatever.

Also, found an interesting line of script-code in the coding of the website which literally has a script-tag envelopping a piece of comment which states //only vip-users should comment on the forum when enabled. So, it could have been even worse than what it already is.

The HUB of all things Stargate, Stargate Command is not.

Comment

Allow me to share the BS-info that I happen to find in my face every time I dare to hit the wrong link on the website -- and by wrong I mean the parts that Stargate Command has deemed not accessible to anyone outside of the 6 countries, and by BS, I literally mean BS because nothing will change (as most have figured out by now).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42530[/ATTACH]
                              Hmm, considering how often I've heard them say this by now, and especially on Twitter too, I would imagine they're pretty close to a burn-out over there, seeing how they're working that hard for more than half a year on this already...

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                                Hmm, considering how often I've heard them say this by now, and especially on Twitter too, I would imagine they're pretty close to a burn-out over there, seeing how they're working that hard for more than half a year on this already...
                                I know, right... it would send some serious red flags to the higher ups too.

Comment

Working...
                                X