Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Which perhaps is the whole idea.
    Relegate everything passed the movie into alternate universe and start fresh (that is, if Origins is even remotely succesful to MGM).

It's no surprise the story is of a much younger Catherine. The cast is a relatively young cast, which could indicate that MGM is aiming this (not at the current set of fans, even though they claim it is -- which is marketing BS as far as I am concerned) at a new, and younger audience, hoping they can sell it as a hip, new show to the highest bidder.

One could say, it could fit in with young adventure shows (of which I have no idea how many currently exist -- none, I think).
    This is actually very ironic . I mean, haven't they seen "200"? A younger and edgier cast does not work for Stargate. The writers tried that. Not even the characters liked it (loved that scene when they just say "uh-uh..., noo..., nope..., [Teal'c's death stare]").

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      This is actually very ironic . I mean, haven't they seen "200"? A younger and edgier cast does not work for Stargate. The writers tried that. Not even the characters liked it (loved that scene when they just say "uh-uh..., noo..., nope..., [Teal'c's death stare]").
      LOL!!

200 has been on my mind, since the younger cast was announced. It's that younger demographic they need to get. The old ones aren't going to go away any time soon (unless, you know, they purposefully push you out of the inner circle). It's the newbies they need.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So Origins is officially NOT canon?

Since in the movie and sg1 it was established they did not get the gate activated until Daniel Jackson. Catherine Langford pretty much stated as much.

Of course we later find out there was a single time activation where they 'lost' Ernest Littlefield, before they stopped the project.

I guess they can spin it "alternative reality", or maybe a 'vr simulation'. just ew.

Comment

Originally posted by BAZZ View Post
          So Origins is officially NOT canon?
          Apparently it follows SG-1 canon, according to MGM. And there's only the assumption that the the stargate is actually activated in Origins. If it is, then everything we know of Catherine Langford from SG-1 will be relegated to alternate universe cause it'll be a lie or at the very least a different history.

Earlier, I showed my sister my teaser trailer version (which is an alternate version of the official one) and her first reaction was "Wait, they travel to another planet?" -- so I think MGM is banking on the idea that everyone thinks they are going to break the timeline by letting the Langfords open the gate a lot sooner than is established in the 1994 film.

However, my response was more along the lines of this: Emmerich and Devlin decided against making their trilogy, citing creative differences with MGM. What if MGM decided after that cancellation of those plans, that they could use the idea of E&D and develop it themselves. There, where they disagreed about it, MGM took their idea and shapes it into something they can still use. That might be Origins.

In which case, canon will most certainly go out the window.

Comment

Younger cast and younger audience? Do they ever learn? I mean they have TONS OF FANS (just like Star Wars did before Disney got their grubby paws on it and turned it into a feminist agenda pushing show that disregards most things Star Wars, especially the fact that the (old) EU is canon - well, was! Now it's basically payed for fanfiction!), who would love either a continuation of SGA (if they can get the cast back together) or something new (but still Stargate, not "prequel-gate", which has to break canon to be remotely good and interesting (if they don't open the gate then it's basically just useless details! Yes they can open it once and not break canon (Ernest!), but no more than that!), but by doing so makes fans not like it!)

Not to mention that the 1920's (or was it the 30's?) didn't have the technology to really do anything with the gate! They don't have the computers necessary to adjust coordinates for stellar drift (something the airforce still had trouble in the mid-late 90's with a lot more powerful computers), hell they don't have computers - period!

I am at wits end with people in management in entertainment companies (most of them appear to be as dumb as rocks from my POV!)

greetings LAX

Comment

I love current Star Wars, and episode 4 to 6. A lot less love for episode 1 to 3 except for Jar-Jar Binks' presence. I love him.
              And what feminist stuff -- dude, princess Leia's been kicking butt since the seventies. If your male ego is so fragile you can't handle a female hero, your problem is not with the creators, I'm afraid.

However, as far as Origins goes... there won't be a new audience for it because there's no proper marketing for it. There's no worldwide access possible. There's no deal with Netflix or Hulu made to expand the audience for it (at least, not as far as we know -- because it's still "remember the first 2 episodes are free-for-all" and you wouldn't be doing that if you actually had something in the works).

It basically will come down to the thousands who might stream it all (legally) and when it doesn't give these thousands the result they were hoping for, the "fans" who weren't watching or streaming get blamed again. But in this case, those fans' hands will be clean because MGM already made that decision for us.

Comment

I agree with/about Leia (and I love her as a character!), that's why this agenda pushing (star wars never had a problem with diversity and with female characters - the ones in the movies just weren't Mary-Sues, Leia had her weaknesses and wasn't super-good at everything!)

SPOILERS (for Star Wars: The Last Jedi - so if you haven't seen it, then stop reading!)

But in "The Last Jedi" every character who does something that matters or at least doesn't mess up is female! From Admiral Hyperspace-Crash (No, Hyperspace doesn't work that way, otherwise dreadnoughts would have been abandoned a long time ago and the deathstar wouldn't be dangerous at all! Because you just need tons of asteroids with hyperdrives to ruin every enemy fleet or base!) who can't tell her command staff her (frankly stupid!) plan (why stupid? It leaves them cornered on that base and without Luke everybody is DEAD! Not to mention that they could have crashed those two support ships into the first oder fleet!), to super-Leia (the force does NOT work that way!) to Rose (she does ONE stupid thing and that is crashing into Finn with a glib and frankly stupid justification! Admiral "Crash and Burn" is allowed to sacrifice herself, but Finn who is saving everybody is not!)...the men however all mess up and frankly are incompetent as ****!

Not to mention that the whole movie ruins the character of Luke (from hero to depressed coward who should frankly just jump of a freaking cliff to save the emo-kid the trouble!) and that of Finn and Poe Dameron (Finn, predictably tries to run - again! Poe starts a mutiny? Not to mention that he sacrifices all those bombers against oders...)

So, sorry for the rant but Star Wars is not in a good place right now IMHO

greetings LAX
                ps: No, I don't hate women - frankly Samantha Carter is one of the coolest characters ever, but she had to EARN her place (unlike Rey from Star Wars!)...If I don't like a female character it's because the character isn't to my liking (I don't like Vala for example!), not because said character happens to be female! Hell, I don't like tons more male characters than female ones!

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                  I agree with/about Leia (and I love her as a character!), that's why this agenda pushing (star wars never had a problem with diversity and with female characters - the ones in the movies just weren't Mary-Sues, Leia had her weaknesses and wasn't super-good at everything!)

SPOILERS (for Star Wars: The Last Jedi - so if you haven't seen it, then stop reading!)

But in "The Last Jedi" every character who does something that matters or at least doesn't mess up is female! From Admiral Hyperspace-Crash (No, Hyperspace doesn't work that way, otherwise dreadnoughts would have been abandoned a long time ago and the deathstar wouldn't be dangerous at all! Because you just need tons of asteroids with hyperdrives to ruin every enemy fleet or base!) who can't tell her command staff her (frankly stupid!) plan (why stupid? It leaves them cornered on that base and without Luke everybody is DEAD! Not to mention that they could have crashed those two support ships into the first oder fleet!), to super-Leia (the force does NOT work that way!) to Rose (she does ONE stupid thing and that is crashing into Finn with a glib and frankly stupid justification! Admiral "Crash and Burn" is allowed to sacrifice herself, but Finn who is saving everybody is not!)...the men however all mess up and frankly are incompetent as ****!

Not to mention that the whole movie ruins the character of Luke (from hero to depressed coward who should frankly just jump of a freaking cliff to save the emo-kid the trouble!) and that of Finn and Poe Dameron (Finn, predictably tries to run - again! Poe starts a mutiny? Not to mention that he sacrifices all those bombers against oders...)

So, sorry for the rant but Star Wars is not in a good place right now IMHO

greetings LAX
                  ps: No, I don't hate women - frankly Samantha Carter is one of the coolest characters ever, but she had to EARN her place (unlike Rey from Star Wars!)...If I don't like a female character it's because the character isn't to my liking (I don't like Vala for example!), not because said character happens to be female! Hell, I don't like tons more male characters than female ones!
                  Laxian, Interdictor cruisers are gravity well generators with hyperdrives, and they pull ships out of, or prevent hyperdrive accidents in SW. It's not like SG where you can fly through the Earth in Hyperdrive.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Actually, that Holdo scene is my favorite of the entire film... and it'll probably look puny on a small screen but damn on a big screen that was .... jawdropping.

Comment

But in "The Last Jedi" every character who does something that matters or at least doesn't mess up is female!
                      So Rey isn't female? She screws up by leaving Ach-To to try and turn Kylo, which notably doesn't work. She gets into incredibly dangerous situations because of it, and only survives because of Kylo and luck.

Leia also screws up, since she can't keep Poe on a leash and notes that she KNOWS he's reckless, but does nothing to stop it. She could've (and should've) seen it coming from a mile away that Poe wouldn't back down from the engagement. She, quite frankly, should've left him and fled, recalling the bombers herself.

You claim to not hate women, yet you clearly hate it because of women and ignore that they too have failings. Rey's abilities are better set up than Luke's ever were (hey i'm a farmboy who can suddenly wield blasters, lightsabers and fly fighters like a god). Rey's abilities were all shown before: She's a scavenger of advanced technology and repairs Unkar's ships (hence she knows about the Falcon, and notes she's flown it before but not off-planet), she wields her staff to the point that she beats up thugs (hence, her ability to wield weapons), and only beats Kylo because he survived a shot he shouldn't have. Sure people like her, but what did that bring her? Han offered her a job, well the last people he offered one all died thanks to him. Is she supposed to cheer for that? Oh and i know that supplementary material suggests that Luke spent weeks or months on Dagobath and not 3 hours as the movie implies, but movie-wise Luke trained about as much as Rey. Rey shows raw power but none of the finesse (for one, she isn't making million-to-one torpedo shots), Luke showed none of the raw power, yet Yoda mentioned it was because he couldn't imagine it. Rey, on the other hand, has done nothing but dream of such things.

The rest you can chalk up to budgetary changes, since the OT notably lacks people doing massive jumps and regular flips, whereas the Prequels are full of them.

The Prequels made me fear Star Wars would never be good again. The sequels made me happy once more. The EU i've dabbled in, but the quality varies from hot garbage to pretty good, and i don't want to spend time on the hot garbage.

Not to mention that the whole movie ruins the character of Luke (from hero to depressed coward who should frankly just jump of a freaking cliff to save the emo-kid the trouble!)
                      I'm happy it exists. Did more for the Dark Side than all that prequel stuff. Even a jedi master, god at his own trade, is not invincible to the lure to the dark side. Just as Darth Vader, god of the dark side, is not immune to the light. Also, i'm happy that someone in the movie saw the Prequels. I'm happy that he adressed that the Jedi in them suck, created their own problems and walled in their own stupidity. Darth Sidious, god-emperor of mankind, last sith, most powerful being, hides under the nose of the entire jedi council. ENTIRE JEDI COUNCIL. not one, not one in thousands of jedi noticed that the guy was gaining a lot of power through all of this and was clearly benefiting from this war (palpatine didn't exactly hide that he gained power like crazy here) and might be a sith?

Then Yoda, jedi master, runs off to troll random people in the swamp, and Obi Wan runs off to hide in the desert. Clearly, running from your job is part OF the job.

God the prequels were stupid.

I hate that scene, mostly because fans have come to completely misunderstand SyFy/MGM's own intent with it. It's pretty much the standard blame for SGU, even though "younger" meant "30-40's". Stargate SG1's main audience was in the 40-50's demographic, which isn't exactly what you want to be in for longevity.

Gateworld is overwhelmingly young, but we're just a fraction of a fraction of the fanbase in total. Most Stargate fans by now are in their 60's. You can't resurrect a show based on that!

If it wants to survive, it NEEDS to sell it's premise to a younger audience. It just can't do otherwise.
                      Last edited by thekillman; 04 January 2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Thekillman, ladies and gentlemen, ... nailed it!

*applauds*

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        If it wants to survive, it NEEDS to sell it's premise to a younger audience. It just can't do otherwise.
                        In which case, it is highly unwise hiding the new Origins behind a paywall that is only aimed at the current (US, UK, Oz, NZ, CA & German) fans.

Comment

In which case, it is highly unwise hiding the new Origins behind a paywall that is only aimed at the current (US, UK, Oz, NZ, CA & German) fans.
                          I don't understand much of the new origin products. The story is probably the safest they could've picked (connection with both the movie and SG1), but then they make all these weird choices about paywalls and their own online service.

I mean, if they're so afraid this will fail (and it seems they are), why not do it some other way like Netflix?

Comment

I don't understand much of the new origin products. The story is probably the safest they could've picked (connection with both the movie and SG1), but then they make all these weird choices about paywalls and their own online service.
                            The safest, though nevertheless they can really screw canon with this one.

I mean, if they're so afraid this will fail (and it seems they are), why not do it some other way like Netflix?
                            Like what CBS did with Star Trek Discovery, which is both available on their own digital network and Netflix UK. I don't know about other Netflix areas as I'm not familiar with the general offerings i.e. I'm not a Netflix user or any other digital channel person.

Comment

Like what CBS did with Star Trek Discovery, which is both available on their own digital network and Netflix UK. I don't know about other Netflix areas as I'm not familiar with the general offerings i.e. I'm not a Netflix user or any other digital channel person.
                              Every Star Trek show is available on Netflix around the world, except North America (because of the CBS Access thingy). Only the original films (TMP to Nemesis) aren't available. Star Trek Discovery is distributed by Netflix outside the US, hence why new episodes are instantly available after their release in the US, and that is why it's available worldwide.

Comment

Every Star Trek show is available on Netflix around the world, except North America (because of the CBS Access thingy). Only the original films (TMP to Nemesis) aren't available. Star Trek Discovery is distributed by Netflix outside the US, hence why new episodes are instantly available after their release in the US, and that is why it's available worldwide.
                                Ah... I see. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X