Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am happy to see something being done at last. I dont really care what marketing strategy they have in mind or how the distribution will work. Im not even concerned with the story following the adventures of Catherine Langford through the gate affecting the tv shows.

Its been established there are infinite alternate universes and that a stargate can be used to travel between them. Its also been established s stargate can be used to travel through time.

So a young Catherine using the gate to find for example her missing father that went through the stargate first, its not only possible, its a basic, simple but good idea. Visiting planets and meeting characters part of canon, great idea for fan servicing. They've just opened wide the possibilities for story telling and also guest starring from our favorites from time to time. That way they can reinvent the franchise without pissing off everyone.

Basicaly, what JJ Abrams did with StarTrek but using a lesser character to alter the new reality.

So Yay more Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Right, this is what really puzzles me about this news. Who on Earth thought that the best story to relaunch with was 'The Young Catherine Langford Chronicles'? Just the idea of it puts me to sleep. Why did they not start with something/someone more interesting? If you use an established character, you immediately attract the existing fanbase. Or it doesn't even need to be existing, start with someone who was around established events that we've never met before--new character for new viewers to find a POV with, existing setting for established viewers. Win/win.

Or even if they were dead set on starting at the beginning, tell a story about the ancient Egyptian who led the rebellion that drove Ra out from Earth. Then you get a relatable, Earth-bound story that expands the existing mythology while also re-establishing the mythology for newcomers.

I just can't wrap my head around why they've picked the story they have...

...But I'm an established fan who wants more Stargate, so naturally I will fall for it.
      This. That's I think a big part of what makes this announcement… less exciting than maybe it should be. Of all the 'origin' stories they could tell, this is the one that on the surface seems the least compelling. And it's one that prompts you to wonder how fast and loose they'll be playing with established continuity.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
        I am happy to see something being done at last. I dont really care what marketing strategy they have in mind or how the distribution will work. Im not even concerned with the story following the adventures of Catherine Langford through the gate affecting the tv shows.

Its been established there are infinite alternate universes and that a stargate can be used to travel between them. Its also been established s stargate can be used to travel through time.

So a young Catherine using the gate to find for example her missing father that went through the stargate first, its not only possible, its a basic, simple but good idea. Visiting planets and meeting characters part of canon, great idea for fan servicing. They've just opened wide the possibilities for story telling and also guest starring from our favorites from time to time. That way they can reinvent the franchise without pissing off everyone.

Basicaly, what JJ Abrams did with StarTrek but using a lesser character to alter the new reality.

So Yay more Stargate.
        But that probably won't happen, because MGM said it follows established canon. JJ Abrams rebooted Star Trek with an alternate timeline, which is opposite to what MGM has stated. So far, it seems they're contradicting themselves, because Catherine can't go through the gate, nor can it be activated other than in 1945 without her knowing it. "Torment of Tantalus" proves that Catherine never went through the gate, and it would be a big plot hole if she did and never told anyone, especially Daniel. I think it's just going to be about the struggle of getting the gate to America, what with the Nazi's and all. Maybe. Otherwise, it won't fit in the established canon the way I see it.

Comment

Alternate universes are canon. Throw time travel and paradoxes in there and you pretty much can rewrite history as you see fit.

I just hope they dont change it too much.

Comment

It's a ten minute show so trying to shove all the alternate reality and how it all ties back in with the original timelines etc etc would be difficult in those few fleeting moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
              It's a ten minute show so trying to shove all the alternate reality and how it all ties back in with the original timelines etc etc would be difficult in those few fleeting moments.
              It's a 100-minute show, delivered in 10 minute blocks.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I hope they release these 10 episode at one time and not one episode per week.
                I cant stand these 10 minutes things and then wait a week to see another 10 minutes.

It's like the animation Vixen that is 5-6 episodes seasons with 5 minutes episodes.

And well if they continue with region blocking then there is no hope for them. The market for Stargate based on one market is just so low that it cant get good ratings but seems they are to blind to see it.

For me i dont care as i will torrent everything anyways. Like the GOT i get to see it in my paid tv channel in the same day, but it's in SD and with heavy commercials so i will get 1080p version of it without commercials and i dont have limits for my connection and can download how much i like with my 100mb both ways connection.
                sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                  Alternate universes are canon. Throw time travel and paradoxes in there and you pretty much can rewrite history as you see fit.

I just hope they dont change it too much.
                  Alternate universes within the "Stargate universe", yes. But an entire show that does away with established facts is the very definition of a reboot. The 2009 Star Trek film is a literal interpretation of that as it uses the established canon as a jumping-off point to create an alternate timeline/universe in which the entire "Abrams" series takes place. Nevertheless, even Abrams has stated several times that his movies are not canon. I wasn't talking about the definition of "canon", but what constitutes as a prequel, reboot or "part of established canon."

If this new show contradicts any facts as presented in the film and specifically SG-1 (not counting the elements of the film that were changed in the shows), then by definition it can't be a prequel. There is one Stargate universe (as the franchise), which includes, as stated, numerous visibly shown alternate universes and timelines. Technically three exist (the TV franchise, the film, and Infinity). MGM has stated the new show fills in the story of Catherine prior to the events of SG-1 (or the film for that matter), so in their own words it has to be "our" universe/reality/timeline.

I'm aware I'm going too far with this, but I don't want people to misinterpret me.

Comment

When it's available in location A at one time, but it doesn't broadcast/release in other regions till days/weeks/months later.
                    Ah, thanks.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    Maybe they are doing language stuff. What language do you speak again? Let's call it Dutch for no real ulterior motive/reason here. They might be working on getting it in Dutch. But that won't explain any delays in the Anglo countries.
                    Oh goddess, please no... no dubbing...
                    Actually dubbing is far more expensive than subtitling something, and Flanders doesn't dub. It would hilarious though, but nothing is dubbed here. All subtitled.

While the above is obviously an example of a delay. The actual reason is more about broadcasting rights. MGM needs a channel or an online media in this case to showcase their stuff, and that means deals need to be made.

It's all about the money.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    yes, but say out here where they do that with GOT, in that few hour window, it's out on the net and watched already.
                    I have to pay extra for the service to watch the show. I'd rather spend that money on the DVD set later with loads of cool extras so yeah, I download.

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
                    Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this. I'll support it. I'll throw money at MGM in the hopes that one day they'll bring back Stargate for real.
                    In case you missed it, and I think you did, international fans are excluded from the subscription service. It's US-only for now. So, you have nothing to support as it were.

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                    I think this particular project likely isn't intended necessarily to be the revival of the brand. More a love letter to fans. It's for us, it's on a small digital service. It's not an attempt to cast a wide net and gain new viewers.
                    A love letter to the American fans, you mean, since the international fanbase is currently excluded from the MGM subscription.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    I also don't mind the idea of a paid Stargate-only subscription thing to get hold of it - assuming it's not actually too much.
                    If your location is really England, then you are excluded from the subscription. It's US-only (for now).

Originally posted by BAZZ View Post
                    Both The Walking Dead (earlier seasons) and Game of Thrones benefited from good production values, the cloths the make-up and set pieces all look great.
                    So good make-up aliens, nice tailored cloths, real looking props, and good looking cgi (you know they use it for anything space or vehicle realted) could help elevate the show.
                    I have a feeling this will not have the same production budget as TWD or GOT at all. I mean, GOT alone is an average production budget of 6 million dollars per episode. Breaking Bad, f.e. was 3 million. The Big Bang Theory 2 million.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's a 100-minute show, delivered in 10 minute blocks.
                      Thanks for the math refresher. So exactly how long of a show was SG-1 if you wanna debate semantics?

Comment

42 minutes per episode -- so basically it's a grand total of 2,5 episodes.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Ah, thanks.

Actually dubbing is far more expensive than subtitling something, and Flanders doesn't dub. It would hilarious though, but nothing is dubbed here. All subtitled.

While the above is obviously an example of a delay. The actual reason is more about broadcasting rights. MGM needs a channel or an online media in this case to showcase their stuff, and that means deals need to be made.

I have to pay extra for the service to watch the show. I'd rather spend that money on the DVD set later with loads of cool extras so yeah, I download.

In case you missed it, and I think you did, international fans are excluded from the subscription service. It's US-only for now. So, you have nothing to support as it were.

A love letter to the American fans, you mean, since the international fanbase is currently excluded from the MGM subscription.

If your location is really England, then you are excluded from the subscription. It's US-only (for now).

I have a feeling this will not have the same production budget as TWD or GOT at all. I mean, GOT alone is an average production budget of 6 million dollars per episode. Breaking Bad, f.e. was 3 million. The Big Bang Theory 2 million.
                          These Are The Voyagers was the love letter for the Star Trek fans. Maybe you should be happy that your letter is undeliverable.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by BAZZ View Post
                            Wait, I didn't know Catherine Langford got the gate working and was using it to prevent earth's doom before SG1/SGC were going through the stargate.
                            That just sounds awful to me and as a fan of both the original movie and SG1, I feel insulted. However, I seriously doubt it can be as bad as SG:U.
                            Same here. Cause of all we know of SG lore, the FIRST time they made it work was by accident when the hubby Of langford got sent through in torment of tantelus.. THEN IT lay dorment till Danny made it work again...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Ah, thanks.

With respect, you're sounding like you work at MGM. There is nothing that says it will be US-only. "Stargate Command" isn't even online yet. The only thing that was mentioned in the official press release is that MGM wants it to be available internationally and are currently "hammering out the plans". So right now, though it is unclear if it will be available everywhere at launch, there is nothing to indicate that it will be US-only from the get go.

Comment

stargatecommand.com is just a redirect page for a Star Citizen mod. How strapped for cash is MGM that they couldn't buy that and had to resort to a bargain bin domain?

Comment

Working...
                                X