Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this. I'll support it. I'll throw money at MGM in the hopes that one day they'll bring back Stargate for real.

But my hype level for this web series, in itself, is precisely 0.
    Oh I will as well. Anything that might remotely mean we get another SG series. Now people from comic con are saying that it might be a CGI animated series.

Comment

I think this particular project likely isn't intended necessarily to be the revival of the brand. More a love letter to fans. It's for us, it's on a small digital service. It's not an attempt to cast a wide net and gain new viewers.

If I was offered a new digital platform with nothing but their archival material OR a digital platform with all that plus a live-action, canonical series, I'd choose the latter.

~Darren

Comment

I really hope Paul McGillion would return as Ernest or maybe we could see Ben Browder (Michell), so the story would continue the Stargate : Continuum movie while Mitchell and Langford could save the Earth together.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I think that's the gargantuan elephant in the room here. Stargate has always had a very dedicated core audience, but us being vocal doesn't mean we're numerous. A webseries automatically limits your audience to us niche folks, and it limits it further still if the paywall becomes a factor.

Narrowing viewership is a dangerous play if you're trying to revive a franchise.
          Plus unlike using TV shows ratings, there's no real way to rate online viewership for something streaming to my knowledge..

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
          I think this particular project likely isn't intended necessarily to be the revival of the brand. More a love letter to fans. It's for us, it's on a small digital service. It's not an attempt to cast a wide net and gain new viewers.
          Kind of a screwy way to send a "love letter to fans"..

Comment

I don't mind the concept of a web-series (or essentially a new movie). I also don't mind the idea of a paid Stargate-only subscription thing to get hold of it - assuming it's not actually too much. Like Darren said on Twitter, it means they have network-less funding and therefore no distruption by outside forces.

However, I'm not sure of the scope of stories that can be told in this timeframe. Would have preferred to have seen a brand new show or a new movie or some such like all of us but I'll eagerly give this one a go and hope i
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I'd rather them just release this as a movie and charge to stream it than for them to drip drip the pieces out for ten weeks while getting five bucks a month out of us (or whatever it costs) during that time.

And if they have any regard for continuity, and they set it in the TV universe (or the movie universe for that matter) no one can go through the gate, especially not Katherine. So what's the point?

I mean I'll take new Stargate and hope it's a herald of more to come, but this has so many strikes against it already.

Perfecto!

Comment

I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic. Now, it's not exactly what I wanted, which would have been a new show or film. However, I am ecstatic that it takes place in the TV canon and is not a reboot of any kind.

Am I thrilled about it being part of a subscription service? Not really. I'm still going to support because I want more from the franchise and it's been suggested that if this mini-series is a success that it could lead to more Stargate down the road. Also, I'm sure it was alluded to that the service would also have unseen footage? Like behind the scenes or cut scenes from episodes? Though I may have read into that too much. We'll find out soon.

The untold story of Catherine Langford sounds pretty interesting to me but they're going to have to be careful that it still makes sense within the context of the original film and SG-1. I think it could definitely work as an anthology series with other stories to tell. Imagine a mini-series of Ronon's survival as a Runner? Or of Teyla growing up under the shadow of the Wraith, and how she's vital to her people's survival. Or of the politics of the Goa'uld System Lords before the fall of Ra. There are plenty of Origins stories that they could explore, and hopefully they wouldn't have to recast too many characters.

Given the general backlash that fans had to SGU (and the audiobooks? not entirely sure about that one) I think MGM want to tread carefully and test the waters to gauge what Stargate fans want from the franchise. While I don't think that this is the perfect route to take it's better than the Emmerich-reboot route.

Comment

I think before we make judgements or jump to conclusions. We need to wait a
                  Little longer for more information.

We don't know all the details yet, it could be bad it could be good, but untill then we just have to wait....i hate waiting but i know i have too

Comment

Extreme disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
                      I think it could definitely work as an anthology series with other stories to tell. Imagine a mini-series of Ronon's survival as a Runner? Or of Teyla growing up under the shadow of the Wraith, and how she's vital to her people's survival. Or of the politics of the Goa'uld System Lords before the fall of Ra. There are plenty of Origins stories that they could explore, and hopefully they wouldn't have to recast too many characters
                      Right, this is what really puzzles me about this news. Who on Earth thought that the best story to relaunch with was 'The Young Catherine Langford Chronicles'? Just the idea of it puts me to sleep. Why did they not start with something/someone more interesting? If you use an established character, you immediately attract the existing fanbase. Or it doesn't even need to be existing, start with someone who was around established events that we've never met before--new character for new viewers to find a POV with, existing setting for established viewers. Win/win.

Or even if they were dead set on starting at the beginning, tell a story about the ancient Egyptian who led the rebellion that drove Ra out from Earth. Then you get a relatable, Earth-bound story that expands the existing mythology while also re-establishing the mythology for newcomers.

I just can't wrap my head around why they've picked the story they have...

...But I'm an established fan who wants more Stargate, so naturally I will fall for it.
                      Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 July 2017, 05:46 AM. Reason: Fixed autocorrect error (damn you, iPhone)
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wait, I didn't know Catherine Langford got the gate working and was using it to prevent earth's doom before SG1/SGC were going through the stargate.
                        That just sounds awful to me and as a fan of both the original movie and SG1, I feel insulted. However, I seriously doubt it can be as bad as SG:U.

I very much welcome a female lead, in fact, I would rather have one this time around.

Also, it sounds like they will have a technologically advanced enemy of somekind (how else will earth be in peril), I can only hope for there to be good production value.
                        Both The Walking Dead (earlier seasons) and Game of Thrones benefited from good production values, the cloths the make-up and set pieces all look great.
                        So good make-up aliens, nice tailored cloths, real looking props, and good looking cgi (you know they use it for anything space or vehicle realted) could help elevate the show.

(I actually could not sit through SG:U, I could not stomach the awful, awful writing, the immature characters, the drama, use of the communication stones [the cheating/rape/easy problem fixes/etc.] made SG:U my single most disappointing tv series I ever watched).

Comment

Yea I thought for sure when the Origins stuff started to leak that it would be about the ancients and their development of the gate system etc... so much to explore there! Time will tell with this. I'm hopeful that the old shows will be available for streaming through the new Stargate Command site. If I'm paying for a subscription dedicated specifically for Stargate I would expect to be able to watch all things Stargate and not just a few tid bits of behind the scenes stuff here and there. Color me cautiously optimistic because while it's not what I would have hoped it was, it's something and unless we support it, we'll go back to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Right, this is what really puzzles me about this news. Who on Earth thought that the best story to relaunch with was 'The Young Catherine Langford Chronicles'? Just the idea of it puts me to sleep. Why did they not start with something/someone more interesting? If you use an established character, you immediately attract the existing fanbase. Or it doesn't even need to be existing, start with someone who was around established events that we've never met before--new character for new viewers to find a POV with, existing setting for established viewers. Win/win.

Or even if they were dead set on starting at the beginning, tell a story about the ancient Egyptian who led the rebellion that drove Ra out from Earth. Then you get a relatable, Earth-bound story that expands the existing mythology while also re-establishing the mythology for newcomers.

I jet can't wrap my head around why they've picked the story they have...

...But I'm an established fan who wants more Stargate, so naturally I will fall for it.
                            I may be mistaken but i thought it was Daniel and the alternative sg1 that led the rebellion with the Egyptians in search of a zpm in the season 8 episodes moebius 1 and 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Madcrazycats View Post
                              I may be mistaken but i thought it was Daniel and the alternative sg1 that led the rebellion with the Egyptians in search of a zpm in the season 8 episodes moebius 1 and 2?
                              Did they lead it, or were they just present for it? It's been a number of years since I watched those episodes and I honestly can't remember.

And even if they're part of it, shouldn't that only be in the newly modified timeline we saw in those episodes? The one that changed O'Neill's pond from having no fish to having fish...shouldn't the original timeline just be a rebellion of the locals?
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Madcrazycats View Post
                                That would be in the "new" timeline that was created after that episode. Though the events of "1969" were a predestination/bootstrap paradox (the events happen regardless and there is no perceived origin point), pretty much all other time travel events have altered the timeline after that. In the timeline prior to "Moebius", the rebellion happened without SG-1's influence as they weren't present then.

Comment

Working...
                                X