my fanfic

Comment

Day 3, Votes 1 and 2:

Heal Sam
      Hurt Vala

and

Heal Teal'c
      Hurt Vala

(Nothing against Vala, but she shouldn't be higher than Teal'c )

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
        At the moment:

Samantha Carter 57 (+)
        Dr Janet Frasier 35 (+)
        Daniel Jackson 31 (+)
        Vala Mal Doran 30 (+)
        Teal'c 29 (+)
        Walter Harriman 27 (+)
        Thor 27 (+)
        Bra'tac 27 (+)
        General George Hammond 26
        Dr Carolyn Lam 26
        Kvasir 26
        Colonel Chekov 26
        Sha're 26
        Lionel Pendergast 26
        Jacob/Selmac 26
        Apophis 25 (-)
        Jack O'Neill 25 (-)
        Ba'al 24 (-)
        General Landry 23 (-)
        Martouf 23 (-)
        Gerak 23 (-)
        Cameron Mitchell 21 (-)
        Woolsey 20 (-)
        Anubis 17 (-)
        Jonas Quinn 17 (-)
        Doci 12 (-)
        What do the + and - symbols mean, and why don't those who have a score of 26 have either?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          What do the + and - symbols mean, and why don't those who have a score of 26 have either?
          i'm gonna take a shot and say the + and - are to indicate if that person has had points added or taken away in the latest count, and the ones who have nothing have had no votes yet? and if there is a +/- then it means that they have had votes for both hurt and heal, but they even out?

just a guess though. i'm probably way off.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            i'm gonna take a shot and say the + and - are to indicate if that person has had points added or taken away in the latest count, and the ones who have nothing have had no votes yet? and if there is a +/- then it means that they have had votes for both hurt and heal, but they even out?

just a guess though. i'm probably way off.
            no, i think you're right. and those that have 26 don't have either because everyone starts with 26.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Oh, OK that makes sense. Thanks stargate barbie and PR!

Comment

Day 3 Vote 2

Heal Janet
                Hurt O'neill

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  Oh, OK that makes sense. Thanks stargate barbie and PR!
                  Sorry for not answering earlier, I was too busy solving Google's Da Vinci's puzzles

ParadoxRealities and stargate barbie answered your question correctly. As there is 26 characters in the game, 26 points is the start, so everything up is with + and everything down from 26 is with -. These who were higher or lower and returned back to 26 are with both +/-. Clear 26 means nobody heal or hurt these characters yet.

Comment

Formerhost, I was hoping it would be ok if I suggested a rule change?

I've noticed that there are a lot of people who are using both of their votes each round to heal or hurt the same character twice. This is leading to some of the results being skewed, particularly since it looks like this strategy is currently mostly being employed by Sam fans. Therefore, if one is, say, a Teal'c fan, and wants Teal'c to be in the lead, one has no choice but to vote to heal Teal'c twice, in the hopes of countering the people who are doing the same with Sam. Eventually, if this continues to be allowed, everybody will start using this technique, and only a handful of characters will end up receiving any votes at all (either heal or hurt) in each round.

The only way that I can see to stop this from happening is to disallow this strategy. That is, if a person casts two heal/hurt votes in each round, they should have to use them to heal two separate characters, and hurt two separate characters.

Anyway, just a suggestion. If I haven't thanked you yet, thanks for a great game idea!
                    Last edited by Katerine; 23 April 2006, 12:16 PM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine

I've noticed that there are a lot of people who are using both of their votes each round to heal or hurt the same character twice. This is leading to some of the results being skewed, particularly since it looks like this strategy is currently mostly being employed by Sam fans. Therefore, if one is, say, a Teal'c fan, and wants Teal'c to be in the lead, one has no choice but to vote to heal Teal'c twice, in the hopes of countering the people who are doing the same with Sam. Eventually, if this continues to be allowed, everybody will start using this technique, and only a handful of characters will end up receiving any votes at all (either heal or hurt) in each round.

The only way that I can see to stop this from happening is to disallow this strategy. That is, if a person casts two heal/hurt votes in each round, they should have to use them to heal two separate characters, and hurt two separate characters.

Anyway, just a suggestion. If I haven't thanked you yet, thanks for a great game idea!
                      we're making up for the lack of sam winning anything in s9 (think the fact that the thread's made by a vala fan has something to do with it too. nom, FH, but i think it intimidates people).

you make a good point (though i though I was countering the anti-sam votes), but how bout we can't make 2 exactly identical votes, i.e. i can heal bra'tac twice but have to hurt kinsey and simmons. or, i can hurt kinsey twice but have to heal woolsy and maybourne.
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I've noticed that there are a lot of people who are using both of their votes each round to heal or hurt the same character twice. This is leading to some of the results being skewed, particularly since it looks like this strategy is currently mostly being employed by Sam fans.
                        I've noticed it too and to tell the truth it makes ma angry a little bit. Especially that in an exactly the same game which just ended yesterday after slightly more than 24 hours run and everybody was allowed to vote multiple times, just not two times in the row, it was exactly the same strategy and the same heal/hurt votes by the same people. That's why I started this game to make it more "civilized".

Therefore, if one is, say, a Teal'c fan, and wants Teal'c to be in the lead, one has no choice but to vote to heal Teal'c twice, in the hopes of countering the people who are doing the same with Sam. Eventually, if this continues to be allowed, everybody will start using this technique, and only a handful of characters will end up receiving any votes at all (either heal or hurt) in each round.

ETA: A compromise might be to have two sets of votes in each round: one "Heal/Hurt 2 points" vote and one "Heal/Hurt 1 point" vote. These two votes would again have to be for separate people, but it would also allow people who are big fans of certain characters a chance to sway the vote their way, while still having a minor impact on other characters as well.
                        Too complicated. I like your first idea - heal two separate characters and hurt two separate characters - better. Or - only one vote per day. What about this idea?

Comment

This was an ETA in my last post, but then I reconsidered and figured it should get a separate post, because it took so long to write:

ETA: A compromise might be to have two sets of votes in each round: one "Heal/Hurt 2 points" vote and one "Heal/Hurt 1 point" vote. These two votes would again have to be for separate people, but it would also allow people who are big fans of certain characters a chance to sway the vote their way, while still having a minor impact on other characters as well.

For example, in each round, instead of having Vote 1 and Vote 2, we could have something like the following:

Day 3, Vote 2 Points:
                          Heal Daniel
                          Hurt Anubis

Vote 1 Point:
                          Heal Teal'c
                          Hurt Lam

The "2 Points" vote would get two points added/subtracted, while the "1 Point" vote would get one point added/subtracted. And, again, voting on the same character in both votes would not be allowed. This would lead to a wider array of characters who are getting heal/hurt votes. It would give everybody equal opportunity to influence the votes, and it would feel a lot more fair than skewing the votes by voting on the same character twice.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                            [SIZE="1"]how bout we can't make 2 exactly identical votes, i.e. i can heal bra'tac twice but have to hurt kinsey and simmons. or, i can hurt kinsey twice but have to heal woolsy and maybourne.
                            Also not bad idea. The first option sounds better to me

Comment

This was an ETA in my last post, but then I reconsidered and figured it should get a separate post, because it took so long to write:

For example, in each round, instead of having Vote 1 and Vote 2, we could have something like the following:

Day 3, Vote 2 Points:
                              Heal Daniel
                              Hurt Anubis

Vote 1 Point:
                              Heal Teal'c
                              Hurt Lam

The "2 Points" vote would get two points added/subtracted, while the "1 Point" vote would get one point added/subtracted. And, again, voting on the same character in both votes would not be allowed. This would lead to a wider array of characters who are getting heal/hurt votes. It would give everybody equal opportunity to influence the votes, and it would feel a lot more fair than skewing the votes by voting on the same character twice.
                              OK, this is definitely the best solution.

Comment

Heal
                                Sam

Hurt
                                Colonel Chekov

Comment

Working...
                                X