Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skie View Post
    Thanks for that FH!
    I actually wanted to green you but apparently I need to spread it around more. Go figure!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think everyone else has covered everything admirably, but there was one little note I'd like to make...

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      I don't mean to sound like I'm brushing this aside; I'm not. But my personal opinions of how I feel about Wraith as a fan of the SGA show I don't feel like I could adequately answer in this thread, because it's not really a thread about my opinions, it's more one to answer questions about the virtual series, and the best answer I can give you about the Wraith is that, as a group, we discussed what had been done on the show and the general arc of the Wraith story and built what we're doing from there. We really couldn't 'fix' particular aspects of things (like why the heck the Wraith never built shields into their ships--believe me, I asked that question as I was developing my stories and the canon answer was that they were never there!!), but instead to do the best with what we were given. That was a team decision, rather than an individual's decision, and that's the way our entire series was--it was a series built completely by a group. In some cases, the majority overruled a minority in story planning. But we've done the best we can, and I hope people can appreciate that.
      That bit I've bolded is what I believe to be the key point on which this whole virtual series hinges. People have asked us, "Why not just do an AU or a reset?" Personally, I think that's too easy of a way out. I believe that as writers, it is more fulfilling for us to find a way to solve the problems/mistakes that TPTW created, but without ignoring what came before. Yes, that makes it more difficult to fix storylines gone bad, but I think in the long run, we'll be able to look back on it and say, "Hey, we figured out how to fix it, and it doesn't suck!"

The point is, we don't want to do the cheap cop out just to get out from under stories we may not have liked. We want to take those stories as they were presented on TV, and further develop them into what we believe to be their most logical (and hopefully positive!) conclusions. It's as simple as that.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I hope you take advantage of the pro-Wraith forums on GW because you're obviously a good fan.
        I do not glorify the Wraiths as some tend to do and I'm certainly not a wraith worshipper. BUT if I feel the story gets too one-sided (only black and white) or the Wraith are treated unfairly (*points to Ronon*), I will defend them.

I can honestly say that some of our writers had to be dragged kicking and screaming into writing some of what they're writing in order to stick with canon.
        McKeller comes to mind.

We really couldn't 'fix' particular aspects of things (like why the heck the Wraith never built shields into their ships--believe me, I asked that question as I was developing my stories and the canon answer was that they were never there!!), but instead to do the best with what we were given.
        Don't worry, I won't start with another Wraith discussion here but merely point out that in S1 Wraiths having shield is canon. It does get mentioned twice in the season:

CE
        McKAY: I'm sorry, perhaps I'm not being clear. Nothing works here, not their stunners, their Darts... even their shields wouldn't function correctly.

TDO
        SHEPPARD: Seriously, the amount of intel we could gather from their weapons system -- codes, shields ...

I could imagine that TPTB originally planned for the Wraiths to have shields but because they wrote themselves into a corner with THE SIEGE, they needed weaker Wraiths in order for the DAEDALUS to stand a chance against the Wraiths and delivering those nukes.

I got a question concerning this statement in Part 2:

“General, the agency on Earth that oversees matters here in Atlantis has ordered Doctors Beckett and Keller to continue their research into the retrovirus that is the basis of Hoffan Plague, to use it as a medium to make the Wraith incapable of feeding on humans.”

The retrovirus and the Hoffan Plague are two completely different things. The retrovirus is well, a retrovirus and the Hoffan Plague is caused by a vaccination. Or did I not understand what you wanted to say with this sentence?

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        I have to disagree. I admit, I do like the notion that SGA characters get pissed off and take/steal Atlantis back, but it's simply too OOC for me.
        I don't think that is too much out of character because in THE RETURN four main characters hijack a PJ to get to Atlantis. Actually, didn't Laundry say and O'Neill say that Shepp would get fired for his actions, why do we never here of it again.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        The point is, we don't want to do the cheap cop out just to get out from under stories we may not have liked.
        Personally I wouldn't consider that cheap. On the contrary, I consider the rewrite of SGA a lot more difficult than to continue with what we got because you would need to a) write more episodes/seasons and b) develop a lot more ideas/story arcs as you don't have the previous background to draw from.
        But as always that is quite a subjective topic.
        Last edited by Skie; 21 June 2011, 06:27 AM.
        Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I actually wanted to green you but apparently I need to spread it around more. Go figure!
          I got that problem too, strange.

Comment

I'm having the same problem, Skie!
            Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Actually, didn't Laundry say....
              - It's Landry.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                - It's Landry.
                Ups, you're right. Well, maybe in his free time, he does help out at the laundry service.

BTW, sorry Eri13 for the "he", should have been more thorough.
                Last edited by Skie; 21 June 2011, 08:36 AM.

Comment

“General, the agency on Earth that oversees matters here in Atlantis has ordered Doctors Beckett and Keller to continue their research into the retrovirus that is the basis of Hoffan Plague, to use it as a medium to make the Wraith incapable of feeding on humans.”

The retrovirus and the Hoffan Plague are two completely different things. The retrovirus is well, a retrovirus and the Hoffan Plague is caused by a vaccination. Or did I not understand what you wanted to say with this sentence?
                  I may be misremembering, but I had the impression that Michael (and thus Clone!Carson while he was under Michael's control) might have been working towards ultimately combining elements of the two. Considering how much of a sick and twisted puppy Michael was at the end, I wouldn't put it past him to think along those lines. And I really wouldn't put it past those shameless opportunists at the IOA to push to continue such work after Michael's demise. Never underestimate people like that.

I don't think that is too much out of character because in THE RETURN four main characters hijack a PJ to get to Atlantis. Actually, didn't Laundry say and O'Neill say that Shepp would get fired for his actions, why do we never here of it again.
                  Sheppard saved the day, not to mention O'Neill's and Woolsey's butts. Kinda hard to justify firing him when he keeps coming out smelling like a rose and is that darn useful to them.

Personally I wouldn't consider that cheap. On the contrary, I consider the rewrite of SGA a lot more difficult than to continue with what we got because you would need to a) write more episodes/seasons and b) develop a lot more ideas/story arcs as you don't have the previous background to draw from.
                  Well, I believe that casually dismissing what came before just because one didn't like some aspects of it (and believe me, there's plenty of stuff that happened on the show that we don't like!) is an insult to the audience's intelligence. We'll just have to agree to disagree, then.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Given that the person who was speaking isn't a medical expert, it could've been a slip of the tongue.

*shrug* And, whatever else everyone said.

I really do have to admire you guys. You're such sticklers for following canon and portraying it in a realistic light (as realistic as sci-fi can be ) and you've done a great job so far! Can't wait for the rest of RtP Chapter 2 to be posted!!!

Comment

I may be misremembering, but I had the impression that Michael (and thus Clone!Carson while he was under Michael's control) might have been working towards ultimately combining elements of the two.
                      They just say that Carson was forced via blackmail to help Michael with hybrid research (from KINDRED II):

BECKETT: He wanted me to help with his research, combining Wraith and human D.N.A.

You can't really combine those two things because the hybrid research deals with DNA and the Hoffan drug with proteins. You could probably administer them both together into the blood stream but not combining this two elements.

Sheppard saved the day, not to mention O'Neill's and Woolsey's butts. Kinda hard to justify firing him when he keeps coming out smelling like a rose and is that darn useful to them.
                      But O'Neill said also:

SHEPPARD: We’ve got a plan, sir ... a good one.

O’NEILL: Yes, Colonel, I’m sure you do. But in the unlikely event you don’t fail miserably, you’re fired."

Well, I believe that casually dismissing what came before just because one didn't like some aspects of it (and believe me, there's plenty of stuff that happened on the show that we don't like!) is an insult to the audience's intelligence.
                      I don't see it as an insult if you clearly state your reasons why you reboot SGA, then you don't just brush things carelessly aside. But yeah,

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then.
                      seems so.

Comment

I love your series, it started out a little slow but man its like old times! I can't wait for the 3rd installment.

Comment

I was totally surprised with the

Spoiler:
                          renegade Asgard

showing up. Great plot twist! Didn't see that coming!

And poor Teyla!

Looking forward to more!

Comment

You can't really combine those two things because the hybrid research deals with DNA and the Hoffan drug with proteins. You could probably administer them both together into the blood stream but not combining this two elements.
                            One of the key functions of DNA is to regulate the creation and function of proteins. In fact, proteins and DNA work together to perform many specialized tasks in the human body. But that's a discussion better suited to a molecular biology textbook, not here.

Besides, Stargate is science fiction, not science fact. So let's get back to discussing the story, shall we?
                            Last edited by Scary Kitty; 22 June 2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                              I love your series, it started out a little slow but man its like old times! I can't wait for the 3rd installment.
                              Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far, and we hope you'll like the next episode! If you thought this one was a roller coaster, the next one will definitely leave your head spinning!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                              I was totally surprised with the

Spoiler:
                              renegade Asgard

showing up. Great plot twist! Didn't see that coming!

And poor Teyla!

Looking forward to more!
                              Hahahah! Yeah, that was quite a surprise, wasn't it?

Poor Teyla, indeed. Just wait until you see what she does in the next episode!

Comment

Ep 1 and 2 read. You've done a fantastic job! Thank you for having revived the series I love. You know, there will always be critics and people who will try to find a small flaw in the script. I am not an inveterate fan but just someone who loves good stories with his favorite characters. And here I was not disappointed. In addition, English is not my native language, yet it is with pleasure that I will follow this epic saga ahead. And one more time, thank you !.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X