Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what up here?
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
    7th Fleet Lost
    http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      To 30 or to 40?
      Originally posted by fems View Post
      Both!
      Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
      Scary thought that, I got a year to go...... well, less then a year actually....
      HA! I'm way ahead of y'all! Oh, maybe that's not such a good thing.
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
        LOL!!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
          Just posted the first chapter of a new story!
          YAY: CONGRATS!!

I resent the notion that I have a lot of WIP's.
          I have a few .... a few lot.
          LOL! >.<

I stopped posting WIP's a long time ago... as I can't be sure I will have time to finish them. And I don't want my few readers to feel abandoned. I post finished pieces as much as possible, though even those I tend to forget.
          Same here: I burned myself on one...experienced debilitating writer's block and never finished. I was so embarrassed, I decided then and there to (mostly) write the whole story prior to posting; I don't count minor chapter corrections, rather the plot has to be set and the story complete prior to posting.

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
          So I was reading a fic simply to be able to catalogue it (it's an author I've tried many works from before but never enjoyed) only to discover I wasn't just enjoying the fic but digging it. It makes me wonder... is there that big a difference between the author's early work and their later works (if that's even the difference, I'd have to go check dates on things...) or are their two people writing under that name?!? The quality is worlds apart. It's quite shocking, actually.
          I bet checking the dates would be revealing: the process of writing usually breeds a better writer, and maturity lends a more complex perspective, so I believe that a writer's later work is most likely an improvement over their initial stuff.

I think the perception gap narrows a bit as we age. A 16 year old is going to have a much more difficult time working out the mechanics of a 30 year old's brain than a 30 year old is going to have working out the mechanics of a 45 year old's brain. If that makes sense...
          Agreed.

One advantage is that the 30 (or 40) year old still retains the memories from their teen years, so it's less difficult for them to write for characters of that age group.

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Does to me as well, but even then I still have a few years to go!
          fems...I didn't know you were a baby!!! LOL

I would have guessed you @ 10 years older: you project an old soul.

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
          *high fives*

I'm from your generation, WW.
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Done with costume (will try to get pics to post during dress rehearsal or performance...maybe this weekend).

I. Need. To. Write.

...feeling so deprived. I will catch up right quick on GW, then I'll be off.
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Yay, Sara! Can't wait to see pictures.

Got NONE of the tax work I was hoping to done today. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? I think all I really need to do is to find my receipts (only thing, after the move--HA!), but I have to find an old tax form and make sure.

Still trying to get over this stupid cough, despite prescription medicine. It's absolutely exhausting, as I keep having fits that leave me light-headed and drained of all energy. Sleeping tonight with a humidifier, hoping putting some moisture in the air will help. Good night, all!
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I just realised I've got a week to go. And then I am on Holiday...
                I'll be going to the MCM EXPO/Comicon being held in Birmingham England next weekend.

Several of my favourite actresses are going to be there... :: Does little dance of Joy ::
                And one of them I have wanted to meet for ages...!
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

I just realised I've got a week to go. And then I am on Holiday...
                  I'll be going to the MCM EXPO/Comicon being held in Birmingham England next weekend.

Several of my favourite actresses are going to be there... :: Does little dance of Joy ::
                  And one of them I have wanted to meet for ages...!
                  Yay! Have fun!

I've also got just a little over a week until my "holiday", which will be spent driving for 2 1/2 days each way, then visiting with my mom as much as possible, assuming I'm not still sick. Went from just a cough last night to waking up this morning with sneezing, a stuffy nose, a sore ear, and that infection taste you get in your mouth when a simple cold has transformed into something that requires anti-biotics. Guess I'll be spending a couple of hours in the clinic this morning.
                  sigpic

Comment

It makes me wonder... is there that big a difference between the author's early work and their later works
                    There is a book I adore. It has good characterization, the plot is fantastic and there are all these tantalizing hints that build a fascinating world without crushing the reader with info dumps. I believe, but am not sure, that it is the author's first published work. Since I found it used, I immediately started to keep an eye out for the author's other works. While I haven't disliked any of the others, I have been disappointed. Not one of them lives up to the atmosphere of that first book.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      There is a book I adore. It has good characterization, the plot is fantastic and there are all these tantalizing hints that build a fascinating world without crushing the reader with info dumps. I believe, but am not sure, that it is the author's first published work. Since I found it used, I immediately started to keep an eye out for the author's other works. While I haven't disliked any of the others, I have been disappointed. Not one of them lives up to the atmosphere of that first book.

Seaboe
                      I had something similar happen. Almost 20 years ago I read a book by Mercedes Lackey. I remember loving it. In all the years since I haven't been able to find that book again nor have I enjoyed any of the others I've read in an attempt to find it.
                      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I had something similar happen. Almost 20 years ago I read a book by Mercedes Lackey. I remember loving it. In all the years since I haven't been able to find that book again nor have I enjoyed any of the others I've read in an attempt to find it.
                        I felt that way about her Heralds of Valdemar trilogy (Arrows of the Queen, Arrows Flight, Arrows Fall). I really loved that trilogy, but have never really gotten into her other works

My tastes have also changed a lot since I've "grown up." I mostly read YA (Young Adult) lit now.
                        sigpic

----------
                        FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
                          I felt that way about her Heralds of Valdemar trilogy (Arrows of the Queen, Arrows Flight, Arrows Fall). I really loved that trilogy, but have never really gotten into her other works

My tastes have also changed a lot since I've "grown up." I mostly read YA (Young Adult) lit now.
                          A handful of the ladies in my book club are really in the YA lit right now. I'm not similarly afflicted. I enjoyed Harry Potter (when I was in my early/mid twenties). I'm not sure I'd sink into the series in the same way if I were to try it now. I read City of Bones at their urging but it did nothing for me. As a matter of fact, I put it down knowing I wouldn't pick up the rest of the series.
                          Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

A handful of the ladies in my book club are really in the YA lit right now. I'm not similarly afflicted. I enjoyed Harry Potter (when I was in my early/mid twenties). I'm not sure I'd sink into the series in the same way if I were to try it now. I read City of Bones at their urging but it did nothing for me. As a matter of fact, I put it down knowing I wouldn't pick up the rest of the series.
                            Like everything else, it depends on the author. The last series I read was probably Hunger Games. Some faves are: Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson), Lois Lowry (but I gotta be in the mood), Sherman Alexie (the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian), Neil Gaiman (The Graveyard Book), Jodi Picoult (she writes for adults but her books cross over really well to teen). The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly is very Gaimanesc (it was also written for adults and if you like fairy tales I highly recommend it). Meg Cabot is hilarious and her books are such easy reads (Princess Diaries). Just to name a few
                            Last edited by IamDKScully; 12 March 2014, 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
                            sigpic

----------
                            FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post

fems...I didn't know you were a baby!!! LOL

I would have guessed you @ 10 years older: you project an old soul.

Strangely enough, you're not the first (on this forum) who thought I was older from my posts. It's not really a surprise to me, as I've often been told I'm "mature for my age". I just think most people my age are immature...
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

If we are talking about books.
                                I am currently working my way through the 'Game of Thrones' series. Amongst others.
                                I read a lot.
                                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                                To thy own self... Be true
                                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
                                X