Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take care Whytewytch.
    Can I also add. To all those on the west coast of the United States who are on hurricane alert. Take care.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Got lucky--lots of rain, a bit of wind. Tornado warning fizzled. Whew!
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        Take care Whytewytch.
        Can I also add. To all those on the west coast of the United States who are on hurricane alert. Take care.
        East/South coasts, actually. But yeah.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          East/South coasts, actually. But yeah.
          I'd like to apolgise for my mistake regarding the coasts. My mind was in work mode and I got a little confused.
          But I hope everyone in the areas on the East and South coasts take care.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! But yeah, it was Florida and they are predicting rough weather for Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana again; landfall looks like New Orleans.

Isaac
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I'd like to apolgise for my mistake regarding the coasts. My mind was in work mode and I got a little confused.
              But I hope everyone in the areas on the East and South coasts take care.
              Easy enough mistake--no big deal. It was affecting the west coast, just the west coast of Florida.
              sigpic

Comment

As an aside (as though we aren't OT enough from fan fic), does anyone know what pet I can get that eats frogs? I've got a big one chirping outside my window and I'll have to call over to Disney at this rate and see if Emeril Lagasse wants to come get some free frogs' legs. Long as he takes the whole frog.
                sigpic

Comment

I've just heard on the news here in the UK that a 'State of Emergency' has been declared for Florida, Louisiana etc.

Comment

I've just heard on the news here in the UK that a 'State of Emergency' has been declared for Florida, Louisiana etc.
                    Its just heavy rain last I knew in FL, LA howerver, yes I can understand that.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                      Ray Winstone's Will Scarlet was so edgy and wonderful. I LOVED him! Hot blooded, superstitious, reckless--yes. If you needed a dangerous job done, Will was going to be at the forefront, with or without a weapon. But he was also a gentle, honorable man at times. My heart broke for him with the reveal of his back story. He was my favorite, despite the "more intelligent" "eye candy" of Robin(s). But then, I've never really been the "leading man" kind of girl--I like me the background characters.

Guy of Gisborne was another gray character in RH2006--cold and cruel with others, he was often confused and gentle with Marian. Not always, but often. And when Robin lost his cool and was torturing Guy, I liked him for the first time on the show--he was finally showing some complexity.

As an aside, I find it funny that RH2006 was going to do the same thing as RoS, in that they were planning on replacing their Robin Hood.
                      The two different Robins really didn't catch my attention character-wise. They weren't bad characters but Will Scarlet and Nasir were more intriguing I thought, and a lot of it was because of the back stories for their characters. Nasir and fellow ex-assassin Sarak dueling each other was pretty cool and Will's character freaking out about possibly becoming a leper was memorable.

:: Takes a deep breath ::

# Robin Hood... Robin Hood... Riding through the glen... #
                      # Robin... The Hooded man...#

I've seen a lot of versions of Robin Hood. I really enjoyed 'Robin of Sherwood' back in the 80's. 'Men in Tights' makes me laugh.
                      Ah, glad to see others here are fans of Robin of Sherwood. The moment I saw the series available on DVD, I grabbed it as I hadn't seen the show in about 20 years. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I saw the opening credits for the first episode. Definitely brought back some good memories.

I liked how it showed the people as worshipers of Herne the Hunter, which they would likely still have been at that time, at least in pockets.

Anyone sprinting tonight? I'm heading over there now. Still have 1000 words of OF to write by tomorrow to reach my goals for the week.
                      I liked the Herne the Hunter angle as well. Though the Church's iron fist was in full swing in the show's plot lines, it was good to see the regular folk still keeping to their local traditions.

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                      Exactly, if you win all the time it gets boring very fast, Personally I can relate to ewinning so many fights it got boring, For sheer example, Soul Calibur IV's demo came out on PC, I got it and played it a lot, made two characters of my own, at the time in the demo you could combine fighting styles, So I made a mix of my two favorite characters {Ivy and Xianghua, my second character was based soley on Misturugi the Samurai}, With my first character I kept winning it got boring, kept ringing out my enemy so much I was actually asked, in the spirit of friendly gaming fun, to tone my character back a bit and take some losses, I agreed instantly! So I made my second character to even out the playing field for everyone.

One way to put it, I got bored with winning constantly {Played Halo to the point of learning the maps carefully as possible, then playing online, even then I lost more then I won, but I had fun doing it!}

So then I make my character Lake One, a super soldier, everyone all though "oh no, supersoldier, passover the story" but some people actually read it and liked it. {one review was quite scathing I wont repeat it} One guy stuck with me allthe way to the end, he actually liked my characters, he thought it read like a TV show being on TV or a movie series. I was thankful, happy too, that someone enjoyed my writing. {that's just a bonus for me, I just enjoy writing, if people enjoy reading it, AWESOME.} But the way Lake was written and designed, was mostly be myself in the story, or how I'd be like in such a story. Over time it just evoloved and took a much more gritty shape.

However, as a supersoldier, sure Lake could win easy, but then, there are many things she'd lose, like an IQ test or the like for example, Put her in a Home Eco class and see her get so lost in a heartbeat, but put her in the middle of Fallujah Iraq during the Fallijahin Back to School Rocket sales with nothing but a broken pencil and BAM, she'll start surviving.

But then comes a fight scene, Lake can win yes, but it really depends directly on the enemy in questiuon, a normal human, heck yeah, she could thrown one like a football at a New Orleans vs Detroit football game! But against body builders or MMA fighters, it would take a lot of doing. Heck, she fought an Alesian, one of Amann's character creations, {which I think are very well written!} a very old, very experianced fighter, they fought, and Lake BARELY got away in one piece through the stargate at the time. Pretty much forcing a draw.

But, she took a lot of hits, lots of injuries from the fight, she didn't go away unscathed. Heck the Aledsian didn't go away unscathed either, they both took wounds and gave them. She had lost before too. {was set on fire once, and left for dead on several other occasions}, but she learned, like I did, how to take it with dignity.....

........ If you count getting turned into a Purebreed Javanese housecat and punted for a field goal at 90 yards as 'taking it with dignity'......
                      Winning constantly is pretty unrealistic, especially in a war. In the storyline I've got set up, there are pyrrhic victories and flat-out losses that really hammer the characters.

The four main characters in DW trilogy I'm writing all have special talents and unique back stories. The four of them together, once they realize who they really are and what they can really do, are immensely powerful. But even they have their limits. Near the climax of The Silent Storm, they encounter the most powerful servants of their enemy and have a bunch of genuine "Oh ****!" moments.
                      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 27 August 2012, 07:06 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

As an aside (as though we aren't OT enough from fan fic), does anyone know what pet I can get that eats frogs? I've got a big one chirping outside my window and I'll have to call over to Disney at this rate and see if Emeril Lagasse wants to come get some free frogs' legs. Long as he takes the whole frog.
                        My cat would probably get the job done. He tends to eat the little skinks (small lizardy/newts things) that occasionally invade our basement. We'll come done and every so often he'll have left us the tail as a gift of fealty.

My dog actually got his mouth around a toad once. Funniest darn thing I ever did see. The dog'll eat anything, we knew, but we didn't expect that. We made him drop it, but I think he might've tried to swallow it whole if we hadn't.

I think in general, a cat would be your best bet.

Or you could go out there with a very large book and just smoosh the thing. Then you wouldn't have to deal with the aftereffects of digested frog. Cuz you know that's gotta wreak havoc with a pet's gastrointestinal system...

Comment

Poor froggie. I like frogs...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I like 'em too...

With tartar sauce.

Comment

May you dream of Kermit tonight...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                                May you dream of Kermit tonight...
                                With a pitchfork!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X