Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    Yes, amara, there is a beta resource on FF.net. I, too, am very fussy--be prepared for hours of research to find the right one. Some of the betas over there can't even spell! I usually go through to see if they:

1. Can spell
    2. Know basic grammar
    3. Are familiar with the characters
    4. Are willing to beta the type of stuff I right

Then I go through and read a sampling of their work. If I don't like it, I'm done. I have yet to find a back-up beta. My primary beta meets all the requirements except for #3, but I've used her for many years and we have a good relationship.

ETA: If you need help accessing the beta resource, let me know.
    I shall brave FFN, then. I've sorted through some of the registered betas there (for other fandoms) and haven't yet found one that would work. Actually, my best beta relationships started because they were my readers and we got to talking about the stuff I was writing.

But it's time for me to find a Stargate beta and I'm optimistic!
    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Not to be too pessimistic but I've heard from a few folks on FFnet that it's very hard to find a good (Stargate) beta. I don't have one but I do talk through a lot of my story ideas etc with someone (A Karswyll) and whenever I'm not sure about something I'll ask her and she's always willing to read through something of mine if I do want a second opinion. I also beta for her and we indeed met because she was one of my readers and we started talking about a lot of stuff and then she asked me to beta a story for her and two years later we're still getting along perfectly fine.

I think you just have to be really lucky because not only do you have to find someone who has the qualities you're looking for but you also have to get along, be on the same wavelength so to speak.

Some of the other authors I communicate with on FFnet all say it's very difficult to find a good beta. The system is just too massive to just browse and I wouldn't have an idea where to start. Alphabetically? It would be great if they would have some kind of rating system for betas (I'd also love one for authors, but that's something completely different!) that would allow you to sort on best rated. Then again, there are so many authors who have horrible grammar/spelling in their fics and still proudly thank >2 people for beta-ing their story...

You might be better off looking at the profiles of some of your favorite Stargate fic writers to see if they're willing to beta. There are a few that have never entered the beta system on FFnet but who say they are willing to beta. I think there's also a minimum of stories you need to have uploaded to the site before you can sign up as a beta, something which prevents some good writers from becoming one.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Great advice on seeing if favorite authors are willing to beta, fems. It IS quite overwhelming going through the betas on ff.net.
        sigpic
        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Great advice on seeing if favorite authors are willing to beta, fems. It IS quite overwhelming going through the betas on ff.net.
          Yes, thank you fems. Wading through the mire at FFN is, indeed, a daunting task. As a matter of fact, I gave up on the whole thing last night not being willing to get started on that. But checking out favorite authors individually is a great idea!

I'm registered as a beta on FFN and I get beta requests all the time from people who, despite having read my beta profile, are insulted and incensed when I either a) choose not to beta for them based on the starting quality of their work; or b) do beta for them and they get their work back all marked up. I'm not sure what they expected from me - a simple pat on the back, maybe? Anyway, neither here nor there.

Thanks again for the idea. Sometimes we just need another person's brain, don't we?

Comment

If I were a Wraith, I would choose to feed on humans who had the strongest will to live. That is the type of energy I would need to survive and grow stronger.
            I would see suicidal humans as weak. Such a human might make a valuable Worshipper. The process involved with the transformation should flood the human's system with feelings of euphoria. The human would then be useful.
            Why should a Wraith justify it's need to eat? UNLESS you write about a gluttonous Wraith -- hasn't been done. Only a Wraith that eats for mere pleasure would think to explain itself. Think about it --- the idea is gold.

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
              Yes, thank you fems. Wading through the mire at FFN is, indeed, a daunting task. As a matter of fact, I gave up on the whole thing last night not being willing to get started on that. But checking out favorite authors individually is a great idea!

I'm registered as a beta on FFN and I get beta requests all the time from people who, despite having read my beta profile, are insulted and incensed when I either a) choose not to beta for them based on the starting quality of their work; or b) do beta for them and they get their work back all marked up. I'm not sure what they expected from me - a simple pat on the back, maybe? Anyway, neither here nor there.

Thanks again for the idea. Sometimes we just need another person's brain, don't we?
              Um, be careful saying you need another person's brain. I live in Florida, far too close to the start of the zombie apocalypse.

I, too, have had people get upset when I mark up their work. I'm careful to point out the positives, too, but sometimes, people are just too immature (not a bad thing--just means more room for growth).

People also have gotten upset with me when I've chosen not to work with them because I haven't seen the show they are writing about (read the book, etc). The reason I do this is because I once beta'd for a girl and hadn't yet seen the show. I gave her kudos for her creativity, which she accepted graciously. Too bad I later watched the show and found out she could have been writing a transcript, except for the insertion of her own character. When I sent her a PM and let her know that I realized what she'd been doing and that her own parts of the story had been creative so she should concentrate on those to avoid any legal issues, she immediately stopped all correspondence with me.

I've since taken myself off of ff.net as a beta, not because of her, but because I just am having so little time these days, with RL and my own writing, both fan fic and original, as well as my poor, oft-neglected blog. I beta my beta's work and will take on small projects now and again. I've been working with my chapter of RWA, judging a few entries in a recent contest and will be taking on one of the volunteer positions that are opening up. Mainly, I need to get back to writing.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I love sci-fi, but the only work of mine that agents/publishers respond to is my "gritty" fiction.
                Seconds ago, I had an epiphany. I am going to retool my novel and have the main character gain sci-fi like mental abilities.
                She has an unstable personality now. I think that the other characters will assume that she's gone of the deep end.
                The idea is fresh. Do you think I should cue my readers into the fact that she's really sane. I'm thinking about letting the audience guess for a while before vindicating her. On the other hand, I may let the audience guess. (Like TJ and her first baby --- I don't know if that child will pop up or her experience was manifested by the ship.)
                I'm confused. If I don't show proof she's crazy. If I do my genre changes from serious fiction to sci-fi/fantasy --- or does it.
                What do you think prove she is able to connect with other planes of existence, or leave the matter up to the reader to decide?
                Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

The only beta work I do, is continuity (in the story itself and show continuity) and characters. SGA only though since I know that show the best of the three. (Don't know SGU at all)
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Um, be careful saying you need another person's brain. I live in Florida, far too close to the start of the zombie apocalypse.

It didn't take nearly as long as I thought for someone to make a zombie reference on that comment. After I re-read it I was certain someone would.

My beta sent me a Spuffy prompt yesterday so I'm going to try to write that. I seriously doubt either one of the Stargate fics I've got in the works can/will be ready for Ship Day, which is a little disappointing, but I have a tendency to write epics so it’s not altogether surprising. I've got some short works in other fandoms, but they're usually prompts.

I've noticed a plot bunnies for adoption thread here, but is there a collection of prompts? I've found some prompt/challenge areas on the dedicated fanfic websites, but most don't seem to have new-ish things to fill and I'm not sure I want to fill a five (or more) year old prompt.

Comment

Sometimes you can find a beta right here on GateWorld. I got extremely lucky doing that...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I know I'm now very picky about what I beta - I can't beta something I don't enjoy, and lately I've been very lucky to find a small handful of wonderful authors with exceptionally enjoyable, well-conceived stories who are happy with me proofreading and discussing their work... and all of whom have become good, close friends. I don't think this is an accident either.

I perhaps haven't always been quite so lucky with finding betas for my own work, as today taught me (seems my bull**** detector wasn't working because my nutcase magnet was in a state of overload), so it is definitely a tricky process. I was going to say that once you find a good beta, hang onto them, but if they're a good beta you probably won't need to in the first place.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                        Sometimes you can find a beta right here on GateWorld. I got extremely lucky doing that...
                        I think that's the best way of doing it to be honest. Bypass betas on the sites you post your work to unless they're highly specific (i.e. only Tok'ra fics or only Sam/Jack etc) and instead find a site dedicated to the series/fandom you write for. It helps that forums like this seem to be an ideal location to 'audition' betas - find somebody who shows interest, who 'gets' what you're writing but also isn't afraid to say "that doesn't work", "you have a grammatical error here" but will also say "I adored this bit, it worked brilliantly".

The more time and effort you put into getting the right beta, the more you'll get out of them as well.
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                          I know I'm now very picky about what I beta - I can't beta something I don't enjoy, and lately I've been very lucky to find a small handful of wonderful authors with exceptionally enjoyable, well-conceived stories who are happy with me proofreading and discussing their work... and all of whom have become good, close friends. I don't think this is an accident either.

I perhaps haven't always been quite so lucky with finding betas for my own work, as today taught me (seems my bull**** detector wasn't working because my nutcase magnet was in a state of overload), so it is definitely a tricky process. I was going to say that once you find a good beta, hang onto them, but if they're a good beta you probably won't need to in the first place.

I think that's the best way of doing it to be honest. Bypass betas on the sites you post your work to unless they're highly specific (i.e. only Tok'ra fics or only Sam/Jack etc) and instead find a site dedicated to the series/fandom you write for. It helps that forums like this seem to be an ideal location to 'audition' betas - find somebody who shows interest, who 'gets' what you're writing but also isn't afraid to say "that doesn't work", "you have a grammatical error here" but will also say "I adored this bit, it worked brilliantly".

The more time and effort you put into getting the right beta, the more you'll get out of them as well.
                          See, that's exactly the sort of relationship I have with my Bones & Buffy beta, the same relationship I have with my West Wing beta, and the same relationship I have with my Spuffy writer's group... honest yet supportive. It feels so collabrative that way, and I love it!

It's tough when you're new to a fandom. Writers are either an all-inclusive group or a clique-ish one. I haven't actually gotten to really know any of the writers in this fandom yet, but I think this thread is really helping me get to know people. So far, everyone here's been really nice (and conversational!). I did not have the same experience in the In Plain Sight fandom - so I walked in and walked out almost as fast. I still enjoy(ed) the show and read everything I could get my hands on, but I never did feel like I was a part of that crowd - in part because I was late to the party. (And I jumped into that one when the show was still on!)

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                            It didn't take nearly as long as I thought for someone to make a zombie reference on that comment. After I re-read it I was certain someone would.
                            You're welcome! Glad I could help.
                            sigpic

Comment

I love my beta! He's absolutely fabulous. I beta for him and he betas for me. We understand each other and it works really well.
                              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I've personally thought of using a beta reader to proofread my spelling, but then I realised that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a beta reader that understands how I write. I write my story, then I have to go through it personally and translate it to english for most of my readers are english or at least american or in that direction. Therefore, translating from Chinese Traditional to English takes some doing, and in many cases the actual translation gets lost {literally} in the translating proccess.

I have been told at times to get a Beta reader to check my spelling and grammar, but then I thought to myself; my last beta reader, as I have used three overall {my mother, Pegasi, and one other elsewhere} had all but ruined my story and I was forced to rewrite it all due to the screwing over I had recieved, the beta is simply to check spelling only, not mess up how the story reads as a whole.

Since then I've never used a beta reader to check mystuff, the reason is simple, my writing is my writing. I really don't care what people who are grammar or spelling nazi's think. I am writing my stuff because I want to, because I enjoy it, and others regardless of how I write, are also enjoying it. Therefore, my need for a beta reader is pretty much none whatsoever.

I'll shut up on this topic now as to keep myself from going into a rant and merely say here instead that after reading LOTR Fellowship of the Ring on this trip {book one of three in two days!} inspired a lot of my writing look. More and more often my stuff reads more like Tolkien. That and I got inspired by Bourne Trilogy of movies to write a thriller/detective type of story too. At least Jake is on vacation with me, we write together every now and again but not as constant as before on other trips.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X