Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Saturday my fellow Smurfs.

When I saw that my designation was Poet, it made me think of some mathematical poetry.

So, mathematical poetry. This is based on the Fibonacci Sequence, which is 1,1,2,3,5,8,13... Each number in the sequence is the sum of the two preceding numbers. If you've read "The DaVinci Code" you know something about that.

To write a "fib" the number of syllables in each line must follow the fibonacci sequence, so the first line has 1 syllable the second 1, the third 2 etc. Poems should have 6 lines.

An example (not written my me!) is

One
    Small,
    Precise,
    Poetic,
    Spiraling mixture:
    Math plus poetry yields the fib.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Anybody else ever started writing something and quickly come to regret starting it?

I'm currently working on the next episode of Stargate: Ragnarok, and it's proving... challenging. Admittedly it's quite rewarding too, which is good because I need all the motivation I can grab hold of to keep working on it. It's quite different to all previous episodes, which was my intention because I wanted to flex my writing muscles a bit more, only now I'm wondering if I've possibly pushed myself a little too far.

IF it pays off and works out, it should be a very good and memorable episode. Emphasis on the 'IF'.

Just wondering if I'm alone on this or if others have started writing things that ended up much more difficult than expected.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Anybody else ever started writing something and quickly come to regret starting it?
        You are not alone in this, when I started writing Project One series, I really just thought it'd be one story of ten chapters, but it grew fro mthere and got to 20 chapters uploaded so far, with two interlude scenes and character profiles. {and soon character artwork!!}, I'm now working on the third story in the series {and am planning for a grand total of SIX stories in this series, for a total of 60 chapters 5K+ words long each}. I am starting to think I'm nuts to be doing it though. Two out of six xopmpleted, I'll be surprised if I can finish this series by New Years O.o

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I'm currently working on the next episode of Stargate: Ragnarok, and it's proving... challenging. Admittedly it's quite rewarding too, which is good because I need all the motivation I can grab hold of to keep working on it. It's quite different to all previous episodes, which was my intention because I wanted to flex my writing muscles a bit more, only now I'm wondering if I've possibly pushed myself a little too far.

IF it pays off and works out, it should be a very good and memorable episode. Emphasis on the 'IF'.

Just wondering if I'm alone on this or if others have started writing things that ended up much more difficult than expected.
          If the episode doesn't work out, that's not to say that it's a waste. Even with partially written material, it could come into use later if you decide to use it for something else. I have about 9,000 words of text right now that will likely be reincorporated into another chapter at some point. The dialogue will likely not be used but the prose, some of which is pretty deep writing, will almost certainly be.
          sigpic

Comment

*ahem*

Little story called All That We Leave Behind has proven, at least at times, to be more difficult than expected. Especially the latest chapter.

But I have little doubt you'll get this episode of SGR to do what you want it to soon. Just like I'll get the latest chapter of ATWLB worked out... as soon as you're finished with what I'm increasingly coming to think of as our 'time-shared Muse'.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

*Steals Muse*
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                *Steals Muse*
                Oh, great... now she's going to come back speaking Strine... *headdesk*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  Oh, great... now she's going to come back speaking Strine... *headdesk*
                  Strine??

She may come back speaking rhyming slang at best
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Strine??

She may come back speaking rhyming slang at best
                    Like that's going to help...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Like that's going to help...
                      sigpic

Comment

*has momentary mental image of Mme. Muse rendering Pridanic quasi-Welsh elements in character dialogue using rhyming slang*

*headdesk*

*pours a stiff drink*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

*has momentary mental image of Mme. Muse rendering Pridanic quasi-Welsh elements in character dialogue using rhyming slang*

*headdesk*

*pours a stiff drink*
                          *Is seeing SF's muse singing like Eminem rap style when writing*

What is this about timeshare muses ??

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                            *Is seeing SF's muse singing like Eminem rap style when writing*
                            *lifts head from desk and looks about for a harder surface*

What is this about timeshare muses ??
                            Ask Sealurk.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

When I think of muse's, I think of Dogma
                              sigpic

Comment

*lifts head from desk and looks about for a harder surface*
                                *picks up 'The succesful author's guide to writing fan fiction' and hands it too SFnC*

Be warned, it drags a bit in the middle.
                                [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X