No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFnet has never been my only place to post, simply needed a backup archive. Now I have two.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yeah, I began using the "multiple archive" method a long time ago.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

For a while, I was also posting to LiveJournal and Dreamwidth, but I got out of the habit. I'm checking out AO3 today, so you may see some new posts from me there. The problem is, my novel-length stories are graphic but only in certain spots--when the love scene comes in or sometimes when there's an action sequence. I do write some PWP, but not in a novel-length work.
        sigpic
        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

The handy thing of AO3 is that you can backdate your fics when uploading them.
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            The handy thing of AO3 is that you can backdate your fics when uploading them.
            That could be handy. My first fics were not as...well written...as my later ones.
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
              For a while, I was also posting to LiveJournal and Dreamwidth, but I got out of the habit. I'm checking out AO3 today, so you may see some new posts from me there. The problem is, my novel-length stories are graphic but only in certain spots--when the love scene comes in or sometimes when there's an action sequence. I do write some PWP, but not in a novel-length work.
              The nice thing about AO3 is that you can do graphic stuff there. As long as you've used the appropriate tags/warnings, they seem to be fine with graphic material.

I can't post my fic on LJ or Dreamwidth or anything with a blog-style, latest-entry-first format. It would be entirely too problematic to do a WIP that way, given the potential for spoilers. Besides, some of my chapters are pretty damn long, and I don't think that would help any.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                The nice thing about AO3 is that you can do graphic stuff there. As long as you've used the appropriate tags/warnings, they seem to be fine with graphic material.

I can't post my fic on LJ or Dreamwidth or anything with a blog-style, latest-entry-first format. It would be entirely too problematic to do a WIP that way, given the potential for spoilers. Besides, some of my chapters are pretty damn long, and I don't think that would help any.
                What I used to do with the longer fics was post links to the first chapter, which had links to all the following chapters, but you're right, the potential for spoilers is too strong on a journal-style blog. I noticed AO3 has got quite a lot of character allowance per entry.
                sigpic

Comment

This may be a really stupid question, but everyone is talking about backing up their work from FF.net. Does this mean you don't already have a copy on your computer??
                  My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                    This may be a really stupid question, but everyone is talking about backing up their work from FF.net. Does this mean you don't already have a copy on your computer??
                    As for me, I mean not only on my computer but on other forums, as well. Having them on my computer is all well and good, but I really post them so others can (hopefully) get some enjoyment out of them, so posting to multiple sites is a good idea.
                    sigpic

Comment

For me the backup archives are more just in case one of the other sites is down when I want to update. Sometimes FFnet has some 'scheduled update' they never bothered to announce when I want to upload a chapter, so I'll just mention on my profile and twitter they can also read it on the other archives. Same for when AO3 is down.

Also, some people don't visit FFnet and others have a site/layout preference when reading. This way you'll reach more people and have certain backups.
                      On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Backing up to other archives is what we're talking about. That way the story is available to others even if something happens at FF.net. And if something happens to the story at FF.net and to one's computer, having the story on another archive or at least saved to a file in cyberspace ensures that it won't be lost and can be published on another site should the author so choose.

But backing up one's comments and whatnot from FF.net to one's computer and to other secure cyberstorage is definitely a good idea, again in case something happens to FF.net or to one's story or account there.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Well, I've gone from 58 stories on ff.net down to 37--it shows in the stats. People like smut, they really do...
                          sigpic

Comment

I just opened a new section on my own website for a certain other author -- Sealurk -- who's been of enormous help to me. Drop on my and read his first story posted there, Grey Area, then be sure to leave him a review!

He's got lots of stories, this is just the first one that's been re-worked and put on my site. There will be more soon.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Wow, this has been one hell of a couple of months:
                              • After four years unemployed I got a job on work trial
                              • I found out I'm doing extremely well at my new job and will be taken on contract from 1st July
                              • I love my job and will shortly be jointly running the local adult learning centre
                              • SF & Coffee donated a chunk of her website for my use, which is incredibly kind
                              • At SF & Coffee's request, MadAboutDanny sent me an invite to AO3
                              • I rewrote a story I've been meaning to update for some time and I'm happy with the results
                              • Stargate Ragnarok 6 is well under way and I'm very happy with how it's turning out

So all in all, I felt like sharing because I'm ridiculously happy at the moment!
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Congratulations Sealurk! I'm happy for you! All that sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X