No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been giving it heavy thought and now think it quite awesome that people still write with a pencil and paper rather than on a computer keyboard.

Its just plain awesome. And if you are able to write more than one word {and keep track of how many words you write on paper rather then with a word count software like OpenOffice or Wordperfect or whateverpeopleusethesedays} It makes it even cooler

So if I mention I can write more than what one writes with pencil/pen on paper, I mean on keyboard, if I were to write on paper what I am trying to write on screen, I'd never be able to make it past 100 words.

Those of you that write with pencil and paper, you guys are far better than I Give yourselves a pat on the back

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I tend to write my rough ideas for stories out on paper.
      There is something to be said about the tactile feeling and the scratch of pen on paper.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

When I'm on a roll, my hand can't follow the speed my brain thinks and thus I start forgetting words or contracting words, or simply forget entire sentences... and then nothing makes sense, so I'm a firm believer in the use of software. Unless I'm utterly derived of such device as a computer.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
          I tend to write my rough ideas for stories out on paper.
          There is something to be said about the tactile feeling and the scratch of pen on paper.
          Yep. *this*

It also helps when I'm distracted by the interwebz -if I just step away from the computer and start writing with pen & paper, I sometimes get more done.

Sorry I've been gone: Summer is the busy season at the vet's office. Fall is band season (and parents working concessions to earn money for band account) for the kiddo, so I may be in and out until the first freeze. LOL
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

First freeze might come sooner than we think....

I still need to firure out how to keep Lemmings tail out of the ice when I reice the ice rink....

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Will you do an extended version as well, and put those words back in? An author's cut as it were...
              My rough drafts tend to be lots longer than they need to be (Frost Bites started out something like 16,000 and ended up 8,700) because I often figure out how things work in them (like, what's the crew to passenger ratio for this interstellar cruise ship? How does the ship's day run?). Plus, I find dialog really easy to write and can go on and on with it. So most of it did need to go. I have kept a version with my favorite scene in it, though.

When I'm on a roll, my hand can't follow the speed my brain thinks ...
              This is a problem, which is why I tend to switch back and forth. I write in the notebook after I go to bed but before I go to sleep, or when I'm in a waiting room somewhere, then transfer it all to computer later. If there's a computer handy, I might write a scene, note the last line in my notebook and then continue it later in the notebook.

I'm a pretty opportunistic writer, so far as materials are concerned.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                I'm a pretty opportunistic writer, so far as materials are concerned.
                And then the napkin gets lost in the washingmachine... yes, that has happened to me.

Comment

I have slews of pieces of scratch paper from work floating around my house that need to be typed into a snippet file on my computer. My coworkers can't tell note taking from fiction writing during meetings...

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I gotta say, making the weapons has gotta be my favorite part in making the virtual series.

sigpic
                    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                      I gotta say, making the weapons has gotta be my favorite part in making the virtual series.
                      Indeed, making weapons is indeed fun. Even moreso when its swords and sorcery type of weaponry

Comment

And then the napkin gets lost in the washingmachine... yes, that has happened to me.
                        O.o
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Try writing on the wall.... Oh wait I forgot Kate broke you of that habit.. or was that demodery with the wall ? I forget which

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                            Try writing on the wall.... Oh wait I forgot Kate broke you of that habit.. or was that demodery with the wall ? I forget which
                            I write on the walls, crayon shows up well on it
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              I write on the walls, crayon shows up well on it
                              Permanent marker too...

Comment

Just don't take it as far as Alice Flaherty, who has hypergraphia and keeps a wax pencil in the shower so she can write on the walls.

Hmmm. Maybe Princess Awinita has hypergraphia, too.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X