No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's actually a pretty fantastic vegan cheese out there that melts like real cheese (most absolutely do not!). Daiya.
    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I'd probably die if I was lactose intolerant, considering I love all kinds of dairy products and eat/drink them on a daily basis! ö
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

You would die if you were cause if I see how my sister suffered before the diagnosis came in.... You would easily drop the lactose.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          I'd probably die if I was lactose intolerant, considering I love all kinds of dairy products and eat/drink them on a daily basis! ö
          I was lactose intolerant as a kid. But since I kicked processed foods (about 80%) out of my diet and switched to all natural options, I seem to be able to tolerate it again. For me, the intolerance of lactose must have had something to do with the excessive amounts of (other types) of sugar and/or other chemicals I was eating.

Like you, I choose a LOT of dairy now - especially cheeses and yogurts. For the most part I stick with raw (unpasteurized and non-homogenized) milk and otherwise grassfed traditionally processed milk products. The taste and nutrition is better and, again, no lousy side effects.

I got lucky, though. Apparently my case was quite mild. It was bad when I was a kid so I steered clear completely, but even as I was reintroducing dairy I never had to go so far as taking Lactaid or anything. I've got a friend who has to pop a pill every time she encounters dairy.

Comment

I don't know anyone who's lactose intolerant but that's probably because it [products containing it] is so prevalent here. The few who may have produced too little lactase generations ago probably died before they knew there was such a thing as lactose intolerance... although, considering recent immigration, I wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be a rise in lactose intolerance in the coming years.
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Lactose intolerance used to be the norm, and not an abnormality. Asian people are still lactose intolerant, the lot of them, while Westerns eased themselves into drinking cow milk even in adulthood. And that was thousands of years ago obviously... the farmers (not the Asians).

Comment

My stepfather is an immuno-parasitologist. He's pointed out on a number of occasions that people aren't actually designed to breakdown animal milk of any kind after their toddler years. We're the only species that continues drinking milk into adulthood and, moreover, the only one that seeks out the milk of another species. Biologically, if you can enjoy ice cream, you're really lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                  I was lactose intolerant as a kid. But since I kicked processed foods (about 80%) out of my diet and switched to all natural options, I seem to be able to tolerate it again. For me, the intolerance of lactose must have had something to do with the excessive amounts of (other types) of sugar and/or other chemicals I was eating.

Like you, I choose a LOT of dairy now - especially cheeses and yogurts. For the most part I stick with raw (unpasteurized and non-homogenized) milk and otherwise grassfed traditionally processed milk products. The taste and nutrition is better and, again, no lousy side effects.

I got lucky, though. Apparently my case was quite mild. It was bad when I was a kid so I steered clear completely, but even as I was reintroducing dairy I never had to go so far as taking Lactaid or anything. I've got a friend who has to pop a pill every time she encounters dairy.
                  The bold bit... I'm lactose intolerant too. I caught a virus in high school around Christmas time when I was 17, didn't go back to school until mid/late April, and the virus attacted my digestive system leaving me lactose intolerant.

I was referred to the hospital for various tests etc. I was told that since it was a virus that caused it it would only last 3 months tops when I cut dairy out of my diet.... fast forward 10 years... still intolerant.

I take tablets so I can eat/drink dairy too.

I'm moving to Canada (from Scotland) next month, I know you're Florida but... any idea where your friend gets her tablets? I'm taking a supply with me but it's always good to have back up
                  sigpic
                  Sig made by Nola
                  Latest fic Thin Blue Veil

Comment

Originally posted by roque872002 View Post
                    The bold bit... I'm lactose intolerant too. I caught a virus in high school around Christmas time when I was 17, didn't go back to school until mid/late April, and the virus attacted my digestive system leaving me lactose intolerant.

I was referred to the hospital for various tests etc. I was told that since it was a virus that caused it it would only last 3 months tops when I cut dairy out of my diet.... fast forward 10 years... still intolerant.

I take tablets so I can eat/drink dairy too.

I'm moving to Canada (from Scotland) next month, I know you're Florida but... any idea where your friend gets her tablets? I'm taking a supply with me but it's always good to have back up
                    Around here, every drug store/grocery store carries the stuff. She uses the product called Lactaid. You can certainly buy it in Canada, but without having a postal code I can't search to tell you where. That link is to Lactaid's Canadian site.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your prayers and positive thoughts. I can't post this on the positive thread, because I'm asking that you keep them going for my cousin's family. She died last night, after a brief but intense struggle with intestinal cancer.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                        Thank you everyone for your prayers and positive thoughts. I can't post this on the positive thread, because I'm asking that you keep them going for my cousin's family. She died last night, after a brief but intense struggle with intestinal cancer.
                        My deepest condolences, WW. Will continue thinking of her family in your time of need.

Comment

Hugs WW!!

Comment

Hugs and prayers to you WW!
                            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Hugs and prayers from the other side of the pond WW.
                              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                              To thy own self... Be true
                              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that, WW. My condolences.
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X