Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Give it a shot. The first step is to simply sit down, open a blank document, and then start putting in whatever comes to mind. Eventually, you'll find the story or at least the story idea flowing out of you, and you'll wonder why you didn't try this sooner. We've all been at that same point, just before beginning. It's a lot like the split second just before you decide to jump into the pool.
    Is it better to discuss your idea's with people, or just write first?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      It's probably fair to say every writer has a different approach to writing. The trick is simply to find the approach that is most comfortable for you. If you're happy telling others of your ideas and getting their opinions, go for it. If you prefer to keep them to yourself until you publish the piece/send it to a beta (proofreader), go for it.

Also, welcome!
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        It's probably fair to say every writer has a different approach to writing. The trick is simply to find the approach that is most comfortable for you. If you're happy telling others of your ideas and getting their opinions, go for it. If you prefer to keep them to yourself until you publish the piece/send it to a beta (proofreader), go for it.

Also, welcome!
        Thanks
        Yeah, I don't mind sharing idea's around, especially as it would be a fanfic story drawing on elements of both the show (in this case SGA) and the works of another writer which I personally feel TPTB used as a template for the wraith (and the Goa' uld to an extent as well) and just taking the connection up a notch.
        sigpic

Comment

Also, welcome!
          I'll second what Sealurk said, completely.

For me, I generally just go ahead and write, at least to begin with, although I've been known to discuss my ideas with other people as I write a story, and to give snippets of it to some of them to read so I can get feedback on whether I seem to be heading in the right direction. (Found an excellent beta reader that way.)

But the best advice is to just write, and then kind of feel your way to whatever works best for you. Writing methodology is highly individual, I've found.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            I'll second that! And even third, fourth, fifth, sixth ....
            I want sunshine and warmth, ... not only for me, but so my garden veggies can grow up strong and healthy so I can put them in yummy salads.
            Better serve some of the veggies on the thread... we can keep them in the quantum fridge...I put some Bahamian mangoes in there yesterday...

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            there is also nothing wrong with chamomile tea or even OTC sleeping aids. I'll take benadryl pills if I can't sleep.sometimes, if insomnia goes on too long, your body can be programmed to stay awake. I had insomnia bad once and a friend suggested that i drug myself to sleep for a week or so, then stop...and it worked. the nice thing with benadryl - and i only take the half dose - it just allows your brain to shut down and turn off. you can still wake up if you need to (it's not like narcotics)
            My spouse complains that when the benadryl wears off (@ 4-6 hrs) he comes instantly awake and can't go back to sleep. That frustrates him.

Thanks I don't write myself, but I have been told I should by many people considering how much I tend to read. I have had a few idea's rattling around my skull for awhile but can never seem to make that first step.
            Welcome!! It's a good place to hang out...grab a soda from the quantum fridge (or a mango, if you prefer)... *places red velvet cake on counter in honor of Gatefan* or have some cake! 0 calories.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Give it a shot. The first step is to simply sit down, open a blank document, and then start putting in whatever comes to mind. Eventually, you'll find the story or at least the story idea flowing out of you, and you'll wonder why you didn't try this sooner. We've all been at that same point, just before beginning. It's a lot like the split second just before you decide to jump into the pool.
            I find that I write better with a notebook and paper. I'm slightly disturbed that I identify with Freya in this instance...
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Mumblemumble years back, when I first began writing, I wrote that way. (Personal computers were in their infancy then.) And I could do it, but I would often become frustrated because my brain would race along so much faster than my hands could write -- especially if I wanted to be able to actually read it afterward, because my handwriting is awful unless I write very slowly and carefully. (I use fountain pens rather than ball-points when I want my penmanship to be nice, because it seems to help.) When I began to do my writing on a computer, it helped tremendously, although even now, my mind will often churn out material faster than I can type, and I'm a reasonably fast typist. Nowadays, when I try to write with pen and paper, I seize up.

That said, I certainly wish that I could still do it that way. I think I've been almost spoiled by computers, what with the ability to go back and edit as I write, and the fact that even if I typed out an idea super-fast in order to get it all recorded before it went *poof*, at least I can read it through the typos. While cleaning the basement recently, I found an old page of my writing notes from about twenty-five years ago, and for the life of me, I can only make out maybe half of it. I wonder what I was trying to say?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes folks, (and the mango's Mmmm) much apreciated

I guess instead of checking forums et al, I should park my bum down in a chair and try to bang out something resembling a viable story arc and see where it gets me
                sigpic

Comment

@ Scifi and Coffee
                  Would you happen to be left-handed?
                  (The comment about the fountain pen reminds me of when I was younger and tried to write neatly)
                  sigpic

Comment

Just for fun, and out of curiosity based on the recent topic, I've thrown together a quick questionnaire on writing habits.

Which of the following best describe your preferred writing environment and habits?
                    (Feel free to add your own if not listed):
                    • Peace and quiet / music / chatter and background noise / pneumatic drill and jet engines
                    • Solitude / some company / pets or animals / lots of people
                    • Indoors / outdoors / great outdoors / another planet
                    • Computer / notepad / typewriter / tree bark
                    • Food / drink / no food or drink / no air
                    • Discuss ideas / keep ideas to self / never even publish to preserve ideas
                    • Collaborative / solo but with advice from trusted people / completely solo
                    • Don't get it right, get it written / Edit as you go
                    • Write little but often / write lots but rarely / write whole thing in one go

(Apologies for some of the more facetious or flippant options )
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Just for fun, and out of curiosity based on the recent topic, I've thrown together a quick questionnaire on writing habits.

Which of the following best describe your preferred writing environment and habits?
                      • Peace and quiet / music / chatter and background noise / pneumatic drill and jet engines
                      • Indoors / outdoors / great outdoors / another planet
                      • Write little but often / write lots but rarely / write whole thing in one go

Highlighted are my traits My little X120E with SSD is perfect for on the go writing as i actually get most of my 'core' writing done while commuting. Coffee Shops are awesome as the noise tends to follow my brain's busy nature and i feel comfortable.
                      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

@ Scifi and Coffee
                        Would you happen to be left-handed?
                        (The comment about the fountain pen reminds me of when I was younger and tried to write neatly)
                        Nope, I'm right-handed, especially when it comes to writing... though I am somewhat closer to ambidextrous than the average person on most other things. This comes partly from an injury to my right hand when I was 17, resulting in my having to do quite a lot of things as a lefty for several weeks while it healed, and the tendency stuck. But my handwriting was atrocious for years prior to that.

To this day, there are things for which I find myself using my left hand preferentially, but I can barely write with it at all.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

• Indoors / outdoors / great outdoors / another planet (that's where my mind often is when I write SF anyway!)
                          • Write little but often / write lots but rarely / write whole thing in one go / When I can, write a ton of material as often as is feasible (2k - 4k words in a session, with 2 - 5 sessions per week is not unheard of for me, but I realize I'm an outlier in this)

I bolded my choices, added one that's original, and fail to see why facetious and/or flippant options should be a problem!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

chatter and background noise - i find that i often need a distraction. and heck, sometimes fic ideas come from the TV, so stuff can go on in the background and I don't care

Solitude or pets or animals - i've been known to sit in the back of a room full of 100+ people and write a fic.

Indoors or outdoors - depends on my mood at the time. and where I think i can think

Computer or notepad - either. sometimes i'll lie in bed and bang out a scene or plot on paper, other times i'll write on the computer. Often, if it's a discussion/dialogue, i'll get down the words, then fill in with actions and moods later when i type it.

drink - gotta have a drink.

Discuss ideas - i will plot with people. often that gets me over a road block

Collaborative / solo but with advice from trusted people / completely solo - i tend to write most of my fic solo anymore, but have done a few partnerships or round robins

Don't get it right, get it written / Edit as you go - i write then go back and make sure i haven't conflicted myself. I don't get hung up on major editing unless i remember 'ok, you wrote a plot hole in, go back and fix it before you forget about it'

Write little but often - in a perfect world i get a chapter or two a day....it's very rarely perfect. anymore i'm happy if i can write a few fic a year.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Often, if it's a discussion/dialogue, i'll get down the words, then fill in with actions and moods later
                              I write that way a lot!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

often if i'm driving on the highway or walking to work, i can 'talk' out a section of dialogue as I go. I feel that it sounds more natural if i talk it out to myself.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X