Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Amen to that. The cliche I'd like to banish 'no one is ever really dead in scifi'

Yeah, well they should be
    But...but that means SG1 would of been really short. Since they ALL died in "The Nox"
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Short and sweet. Worked for Firefly.

I get very tired of constantly resurrected characters, but conversely the decent characters that just get killed off for no apparent reason are almost as annoying.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Short and sweet. Worked for Firefly.

I get very tired of constantly resurrected characters, but conversely the decent characters that just get killed off for no apparent reason are almost as annoying.
        Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For example, the killing of Janet was pulled of very well, and even though I did miss her in later seasons, I do believe that in that case it was totally fine to kill of a "main" character. Killing off main characters is always risky, but if done properly it can work wonderfully. Or totally crash and burn...
        My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

I missed Janet after they killed her off.
          But was happy to see her return, all be it brief, in 'Ripple Effect'.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I am better! My classes are wonderful! Life is grand.

*dances around the water cooler*
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
              I missed Janet after they killed her off.
              But was happy to see her return, all be it brief, in 'Ripple Effect'.
              Same here, and as she's a favourite character of mine I was sorry to see her go, though I actually think her death was remarkably effective and her return was the one of the only 'permissible' ones - a single episode cameo, nothing more.

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

Excellent to hear. I would join in with the dancing, but I'm useless at it. However, I too am in an exceptionally good mood for once, and as a consequence I'm currently busy writing (no, Choo, it isn't Who, and yes, it is SGR ) after an email I received earlier.

Yay for returning muses!
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

it's like....Jim on Ghost Whisperer.....killed him off, conveniently in sweeps, but wait, his spirit is in another man's body, so he's back eventually and is technically the other guy but is usually seen as Jim cause, you know, that's who fans want to see.

that's when it jumped the shark for me.

don't kill them as ratings stunts. you have a good reason, fine. but don't kill them and bring them back. it's boring
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Huzzah!

Also, bringing someone back can work, but it has to work with them being dead originally. It can't just sweep that under the rug, but acknowledge it.
                  Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

New computer is on the desk, hooked up, the little wireless router thingy (this is a very "O'Neill" technical term) finally installed...and now the speakers don't work! Mixed blessings, but HEY! I'm back!!

*dances around the water cooler with mathpiglet in unbridled joy*

...wish SF&Coffee was here -I am given to understand that she moved this week and is not yet re-connected to the web (but hopes to be this weekend.

Edit: And I was really shocked by Janet's death, and I missed her terribly. I think it was handled respectfully and the characters grieved and we grieved with them, but I wish we could have kept her.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

ahem......

"I was on vacation 9 days and all I got was 8,000 words and bleeding fingers"

That pretty mkuch sums up my vacation, two thousand words a day, plus some extra, basically an hour to an hour and ten or so worth of writing per day, about 2K words per day

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

WOW SF&C you were interviewed by the BBC.
                        Which BBC radio station was it for? Because I'll be able to listen on the BBC's iPlayer.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

My internet is back

I am very sick
                          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                            My internet is back
                            Good news everyone! You read that in Farnsworth's voice, didn't you?

I am very sick
                            Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

Yesterday I finally started writing at full output, churning out thousands of words.

Today I wrenched my neck and spent most of the time doing exceedingly little to avoid pulling it again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              Good news everyone! You read that in Farnsworth's voice, didn't you?

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

Yesterday I finally started writing at full output, churning out thousands of words.

Today I wrenched my neck and spent most of the time doing exceedingly little to avoid pulling it again.
                              in thel ast nine days I wrote about that many words. (almost ten thousand words over my trip, an hour a day) I think writing a story similar to how an episode of Paradise plays out over an hour {actually 44 minutes minus opening/closing credits}

so far so good, writing enough to churn out a lot of words, then hurting oneself is a bad thing.... wait... wrenching your neck ?? What'd you use ? a monkeywrench ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                so far so good, writing enough to churn out a lot of words, then hurting oneself is a bad thing.... wait... wrenching your neck ?? What'd you use ? a monkeywrench ?
                                Nope, no monkeywrenches, nor even monkeys, involved in the wrenching. Though by the feel of it it could be an immature Goa'uld getting itself comfortable near my brain stem. I'm just prone to all sorts of neck and shoulder problems thanks to my skin graft, and I think I turned my head a bit too fast while trying to lift something heavy this morning.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X