Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a GED?

Edit: Wait, is it "General Education Degree"?
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      What's a GED?

Edit: Wait, is it "General Education Degree"?
      I think that's what it stands for. It's someone who fails to get their diploma somehow and winds up having to "finish" high school through alternate means; in this case, probably an online course, which would also cost money. And we've already bought the cap & gown.
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Ah, I see. Well, good luck to BB!

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
          I think that's what it stands for. It's someone who fails to get their diploma somehow and winds up having to "finish" high school through alternate means; in this case, probably an online course, which would also cost money. And we've already bought the cap & gown.
          Hum. Over here, you just have to repeat your year if you fail to pass your final exams. We don't do summer schools and stuff. Although you are allowed to retake two exams the week after the final exams (so, still before graduation and the end of the school year) but if you don't pass them then, you're screwed and have to redo the year. You can get a 5 on two final exams if I recall correctly but only if your overall grade for that year (the final exams is stuff from the past 3 years; so basically your entire higher education) is a 5.5 or higher, since that grade is combined with your final exam and divided into two. If that makes any sense...

Anyway, I can totally see the benefits of this GED and summer school! But I don't think it'd be possible to introduce here since final exams are taken nationally and at exactly the same time throughout the entire country and they're graded by your teacher before being passed to a random teacher elsewhere in the country to check if your teacher did a good job and wasn't too strict/nice... But summer school for years other than your final year would come in handy, since the only condition on passing your year is that you pass all your classes but are allowed one 5 as long as your average grade (taken from all courses) is above a 5.5, IIRC. I just don't think teachers would appreciate having to teach during the summer vacation!
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Same here, final exams in june. If you fail one or two, you can retake them at the end of August before the start of the new year. You fail again, you have to retake the year.

I had to retake my second to last year in highschool cause I failed math, french and economics. The previous year I failed biology, chemistry and physics, of which I had to retake biology and physics and passed those second time around.

Also, no summer school, but it does happen that you are forced to do a summer task and hand it in by the end of August and get graded for it.

Comment

So, I'm sitting here in Starbucks trying desperately to find the motivation to do this mountain of homework sitting next to me. Instead all I can concentrate on is that I'm halfway through my macchiato and I have no idea what I want to order next.

Also, I really want to be writing fic. Which I may do instead of surfing Facebook while I wait for homework/script motivation to strike.

Yeah. That sounds like a plan. Fic, here I come!
              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                So, I'm sitting here in Starbucks trying desperately to find the motivation to do this mountain of homework sitting next to me. Instead all I can concentrate on is that I'm halfway through my macchiato and I have no idea what I want to order next.

Also, I really want to be writing fic. Which I may do instead of surfing Facebook while I wait for homework/script motivation to strike.

Yeah. That sounds like a plan. Fic, here I come!
                That sounds like a great conundrum to have. Order me a chai latte would ya?
                sigpic
                sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

Originally posted by Starship Trooper View Post
                  That sounds like a great conundrum to have. Order me a chai latte would ya?
                  If you'll bring motivation with you, I'll order you whatever you like!

Comment

I had pretty much the same issues this afternoon, except I wasn't at Starbucks but at home.

Comment

A friend actually started texting with me about the scripts which got the brain going. Plus I got my weekly prompt fic finished and posted. So now I'm feeling a little productive. I think I'm going to go get a grade on something now.

Comment

Lucky you...

Comment

Hi De Hi... Ho de Ho...
                          I've only got two shifts to go...!

Then I am off work for 10 days...! A chance to get sometings done. Including some writing I hope...
                          But It will be a great chance for me to relax.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Ah, I see. Well, good luck to BB!
                            Thanks. I'm trying like heck to adopt a "que sera, sera" attitude, but I worry about him.

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                            A friend actually started texting with me about the scripts which got the brain going. Plus I got my weekly prompt fic finished and posted. So now I'm feeling a little productive. I think I'm going to go get a grade on something now.
                            Good job!

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                            Hi De Hi... Ho de Ho...
                            I've only got two shifts to go...!

Then I am off work for 10 days...! A chance to get sometings done. Including some writing I hope...
                            But It will be a great chance for me to relax.
                            Good for you! Enjoy your time off.

I've got four days myself, then we leave to see my mom & dad; hubby will be joining us on Monday. Still working on my frakkin' taxes; I keep remembering stuff that I have to write off, and I'm still looking for some receipts that possibly got lost in the clean up/move (hopefully not thrown out).
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                              Thanks. I'm trying like heck to adopt a "que sera, sera" attitude, but I worry about him.
                              Isn't that in the mother-job-description --> worry about children...

Comment

Isn't that in the mother-job-description --> worry about children...
                                You are most correct. Drives him nuts. Of course, my dad still worries about me, and I'm celebrating over a decade of being 35.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X